Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Magic Compendium(ideas welcome and in fact requested!)  (Read 900 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
The Magic Compendium(ideas welcome and in fact requested!)
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:53 am »

So, I've been thinking over various ways of implementing magic in games and stories, ways of making concrete rules for it that still don't limit the endless possibilities too much, and maybe even keep some of the mystery. And, well, I've hit a slight snag. Namely, it's hard to test these ideas. I'd need some kind of list of example effects, as comprehensive and weird as possible. So, I've come here! Be it animating the undead, enchanting a blade, or shapehifting, I'd like examples of some of the strangest and coolest spells and rituals people can think of.

I'd throw up some quick rundowns of the implementations I've come up with so far (And on that note, any others people have encountered/created would be awesome as well!) but, well, it's 4 AM. I'll just have to post that when I'm a bit more... conscious.  :-X
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The Magic Compendium(ideas welcome and in fact requested!)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:16:45 pm »

Run this about a hundred times: http://jsbin.com/idifof/106
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »

This should go in it's own thread, but...

First your vertebrae melts, then the father of the father of your dearly loved little sister feel energy drained away for five billion months once every eternity for eternity and finaly a griffin appears out of nowhere for a few seconds and scares your dearly loved little sister.

Once every eternity for eternity? I guess that means there's no problems?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:24:58 am »

Run this about a hundred times: http://jsbin.com/idifof/106
Hah. While that thing IS hilarious, the stuff it comes up with isn't exactly what I'm going for. I know I've got a system that can handle the basics pretty elegantly, but I need more... Magical effects that often are done poorly in games. Systems that just aren't well-represented.

Anyway, as promised here's a quick summary of my first idea: (This one is for an RPG of some sort, likely in the style of a MUD or similar.)
-All spells are cast by combining a number of Runes, each possessing their own unique set of effects. No two runes have the same set, and if one is included in a spell it's all or nothing: You get all of them, or none of them.
-The effects a rune can have fall into these categories: Primary, Secondary, Modifier, Area, Duration, and Scale. (Only primary is needed, the others can 'default' to certain meanings if nothing is given)
-The maximum number of runes that can be used in a single spell is usually quite low, but elaborate rituals allow a group of mages to work together for more powerful effects.

So, say you want a cliche fireball. You'll need to find some combination of runes that results in a primary 'fire' effect and a targeted AoE for area. Past that, other effects modify the spell. (in fact, getting -just- those effects would be quite a feat. Magic is hard to control precisely!) Maybe you'll get one that leaves the area burning for a while, or sticks to anything it touches. Maybe you'll get a really weird combination of primary and secondary effects and be able to "Attack the enemy with Antipode"!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:30:21 am »

As long as it's not the Method Compendium...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »

Okay, here's my system of magic. Use this in your books or games.

Wordcrafter magic is a system of magic based on words charged with magical energy. It's assumed that these spells shaped the universe, and range from the incredibly powerful to the rather mundane. Their power, however, is limited by the fact they cannot be made and require memorization. Interestingly enough, the spells work with any language, favoring none of them despite claims to the contrary. When seen, they are written in the language of the viewer, once again proving the innate magic of them. They are constructed out of four sections.
1. The Delivery, which consists of "Direct" (A direct effect, occurs immediately for a short time), "Delayed" (Takes a longer time to occur. Can range from minutes to millennia, down the family tree) and "Sustained" (A sustained effect for a random period).
2. The Method, which consists of "Self" (It effects the caster), "Other" (It effects a person who gets hit with it), and "Area" (It effects the area around the caster).
3. The Effect, which consists of "Heal" (It heals the effected), "Harm" (It harms the effected) and "Transform" (It transforms the effected into what the Word is, see below. It is estimated this part was most used during the creation of the world, turning primordial chaos into objects and landscapes)
4. The Word, which can consist of any object in the known universe. Typically, a noun, but sometimes an adjective.

A typical magical spell could be a "Sustained Area Heal Precedence", which would cause the area around it, possibly a city, to recover from a severe set-back in authority, such as a plague or a famine, and cause it to rise above the other areas as a beacon of civilization and authoritarianism.