Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Species game  (Read 17968 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Species game
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:59:50 am »

http://www.speciesgame.com/forum/index.php Forums
http://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/ Blogs

It's has a release but there are some problems with it. It is being actively worked on, and is in it's alpha stage.

If you do join the forums and want to watch the development, mention that Icefire recommended you ;D

The game is basically a simulation of life in a three dimensional enviroment. Currently the graphics aren't spectacular but they will be polished, I believe, once that some of the kinks in the gameplay is worked out. All of the creatures start out as nothing more than slug type things, but over time they mutate and evolve legs and horns, arms, tails, you name it. They can travel around the map and inhabit new areas of forest. They eat the trees, but some are carnivores/omnivores or are just aggressive and attack others. The carnivores/omnivores may eat the corpses left behind.
Also, there is a mod maker, (not literal mods, that is just the name) where you can create your own your own creature.
It is still very early in development, it's current release is it's first. Look into it if you are interested :)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: Species game
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:36 pm »

This looks like it has potential, lets just hope it doesnt end up like spore. Also you might want to include a link to the offical website.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

Oh, cool. There's threads here about 2d versions of this, but this is the first 3d sim like this I've seen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found a video, looks cool.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »

http://www.speciesgame.com/

Sorry, there is the actual site.
Also, it shouldn't end up like Spore. At the top of the website it says not like spore ;P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:06:38 pm »

I played the 0.4.0 alpha for several hours, it's pretty impressive but hard to play as a game at this point.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:22 am »

I'm trying this out right now. Struggling to turn the camera horizontal, as top down does not appear to be the manner in which to play this sim.

E: Jesus christ this is Alpha. Trying to turn the camera rockets me into the weird mountain formations around the map, Which weren't on the hightmap during worldgen, and seem to be the borders of the world, suggesting I can only view the very outer edges, which may explain why I can't find my creatures anymore.

Why does the camera stay in the same position after you turn the game off? D:

It look like it would be fun if I could figure out how to play it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:06:29 am by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:09:36 am »

I look forward to this in later versions; if it can do this stuff in alpha, I have good expectations.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:43:52 am »

I like the purple things humping on the site's front page. Already better than Spore was, if only for that.
Though I actually think I'm rare in not hating Spore... I guess I just never got hyped for it.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:07 am »

Yay, figured out camera rotation! (It's right-click.)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:10:36 am »

Watching this!

I never hated Spore as much as some people, though I too sometimes lie awake at night, pondering what could have been. This "Species Game" looks quite promising.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 04:14:46 am »

And the devlogs are pretty hilarious, i trust this dev.

E: Did i just see a creature mating with a pile of meat?

And what does gene splice do?

E2: Figured it out.

AND I MADE DINOSAURS TROUGH EXCESSIVE USE OF HTE RADIATION GUN!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:59:28 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:38:28 am »

Didn't really hate Spore, just dissappointed. The creature creator was 3 times as fun as the game was. (A game, which, while claiming to be about evolution, was actually more of a simulation of Intelligent design)

This appears to be interesting though.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:57:57 am »

Spore would have been better in creature stage if
A) Predators were more powerful than you, maybe one of those vague evolution levels where everything climbs into those watery sacs and turns into something completely different.

B) Predators actualy left their nest to go hunt you and yours

As it is it's way to easy to just waltz through creature stage with a giant penis with the basic eye, a hand, and a gem stuck to your foreskin. I know maxis intended it to be creative above all else but there's a limit to that, and that limit is a twenty foot tall gem-studded dick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you guys getting the rotate camera option to work properly? Like I said, it seems to rotate me around an axis 30 kilometers behind me.

Shift also isn't working so I'm crawling across the world at a snails pace... ):
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:20 am »

Same here -- my daughter and I had a blast with the Creature Creator.

I was less disappointed with Spore than some because it was yohoho'd. If I had actually spent money...yeah, I might have been peeved. Felt like one of those games that had great ideas but not enough depth to explore them. (Are we sure this was Will Wright and not Peter Molyneaux?)

PTW on this one...emergent gameplay is always a nifty thing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

My girlfriend and I got into Spore again a couple weeks ago. I got way more invested into my species and got a good start on the Space Empire stage. Then I started CTD'ing at random intervals (annoying because there's no autosave). It happened more and more frequently as I played, to the point that it was happening every three minutes. I went online to find answers, and somebody on the Spore forums had pinpointed that there was broken code causing the issue. He was working on fixing it, but thend ropped off the face of the earth and nobody ever picked up on it for some reason.

Spore: 2 Me: 0
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8