Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Space Station 13 Remake  (Read 53664 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Station 13 Remake
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »

Been working on this for the last few months (mainly started because i got annoyed at the constant BYOND lag...) - perhaps somebody here would be interested in it!
(Before you ask, yes - i have a multiplayer server/client model implemented, and it works pretty well.)

Ingame screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The tile objects are aligned on a 3D grid, but it's pretty small (ie. one floor tile is 10x10x2 blocks large); which means you can place things pretty much how you want them.

There's a planet you can visit, too. It's actually a sphere; if you walk far enough you will end up where you started. The terrain is made using the 'marching cubes' algorithm, and destructible.

Ingame terminals. Kinda nifty (but not very usable, for now). The text actually wraps around the screen curvature, using a shader.

EDIT: i made a website for it here: https://sites.google.com/site/spacestationdelta
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:29:46 pm by Kadath »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 Remake
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

This is FUCKING AWESOME
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »

This is FUCKING AWESOME

Why, thank you!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »

I remember reading about Space Station 13 a while back, and being completely astounded by it. I was way too nervous to give it a try though...

This is FUCKING AWESOME

I don't care what this project becomes, I want to play it. If only because of those beautiful terminals...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 03:46:19 pm »

Are you doing both the graphics and the programming? Because it looks just beautiful.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

I don't care what this project becomes, I want to play it. If only because of those beautiful terminals...
You can, if you want to. I just uploaded a windows build here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73001606/build.zip
Lotsa stuff is unfinished though. Start the server first, and type "localhost" when the client prompts you for an IP. Enter admin-build mode with '2', and rotate/switch pieces with ',' and '.'.

Are you doing both the graphics and the programming? Because it looks just beautiful.
The textures+meshes are made by a really talented friend of mine, yeah. I'm programming the game itself (In C, with OpenGL for graphics) and cobble together the shaders.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

Wait is that terminal just displayed on top of the scene or is it an actual texture that other players could see form the side and the like?

Could it be combined with a security camera system? Remote-operated vehicles?

This looks like it could easily handle player building awesomely, and it's not much more unrealistic than other stuff already in.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:12 pm »

Oh, if only there were emotes and character customization, then this would be the best thing in the known universe when it is completed...

Along with an actual game with models and syndies and stuff, but hey!

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:56 pm »

Wait is that terminal just displayed on top of the scene or is it an actual texture that other players could see form the side and the like?
The terminal with the text is part of the GUI, so other people can't see it. You can however click on the terminal yourself and get the screen displayed to you too.

Could it be combined with a security camera system? Remote-operated vehicles?
Security cameras are possible, but i don't see how they would combine with terminals (unless you want to look through a camera using a video terminal).

Oh, if only there were emotes and character customization, then this would be the best thing in the known universe when it is completed...

Along with an actual game with models and syndies and stuff, but hey!
Yeah, there's a butt-ton of work left. For now, characters don't have a model and are invisible.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:32 pm »

This is just awesome.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »

Yeah, there's a butt-ton of work left. For now, characters don't have a model and are invisible.

I'll enjoy it when it's out, though! I'm a big SS13 fan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:59 pm »

I can only wish you luck on this endeavour, and ask whenever you're going to release the code (or server files, for that matter) to the public when you're more or less done with this project. I know it's early, but I feel this needs to be mentioned.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »

PTW because amazing

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 04:51:18 pm »

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:31 pm »

I can only wish you luck on this endeavour, and ask whenever you're going to release the code (or server files, for that matter) to the public when you're more or less done with this project. I know it's early, but I feel this needs to be mentioned.

Well, the game isn't done; i haven't really decided about whether to release the source or not (probably not, since a modded client could cheat a fair bit). As for the server binary:yes. I can't run loads of servers by myself, gotta give that out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10