Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheesecake's Brain-Realm!  (Read 2668 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Cheesecake's Brain-Realm!
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:53:59 am »

Yo. I've been thinking of a new fantasy-set world, where the source or magic is the literal music of the Universe. I put it here to have some critique on the characters and towns, and to add in your contributions, because world-building is more fun with more people!

The World:

The continent most of my characters will be set in is called Concord. A super-continent, encompassing all types of terrain and wildlife. It is split into two kingdoms, Pacia and Gora. The former is a united nation ruled by a group of kings, who rule 7 smaller divisions of Pacia. The inhabitants of Pacia are generally more timid, peaceful, and quiet than the Gorians, and most are content farming Pacia's long, flat plains. Gora, on the other hand, is more wild. The people of Gora are hunters, warriors, and adventurers, who traverse Gora's rugged landscape and fight the ferocious predators. The two nations are split by the Flow, a gigantic river on which most boats sink and many do not traverse far beyond their borders.

Although they are separate nations, they are ruled by the Maestro, an enigmatic being who resides in a tower in the sky, which even the mightiest dragons cannot reach. It is said that he orchestrates every single lifetime of every single human, but he does not dabble in the political affairs of the two nations. He leaves the two to their own devices, never intervening. His Tower is said to hold the life of all the deceased, and it is said that when you die, your voice is added to the Orchestra of Souls, singing forever more the story of life. The Tower is visible from everywhere, and it is most visible during the winter solstice.

Many vile creatures dwell in Concord, and they prey on humanity and take delight in burning villages. These monsters take on the form of natural creatures, albeit twisted and horrifying versions of them. This is said to be caused by their lack of soul, which is thought to be the source of creativity. As they have no creativity, they cannot imagine new forms or tactics, and so they take the forms and mannerisms of people and beasts. Some monsters eat humans as food, others eat people for fun or game. They hide in abandoned ruins and castles, since they cannot create their own lairs.

Characters:

Spoiler: Darion Tiley (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eres Kilgore (click to show/hide)

Setting:

-Songsword: Songswords are warriors who use Music to amplify their martial strength. They fight in beat, and they clash swords in harmony. Generally, the more harmonious the sound you make during fighting, the better the songsword you are. They create fighting styles in accordance with the Song, and many hum while fighting or practicing. Their favored weapon is the rapier, the longsword, or other swords that are quick and fast. Many create their own customized versions, and almost no two are similar. Songswords are generally nobles or their children, and not everyone has the talent to be one.

-The Song: The Song is the source of magic in the world, and is used by both the High Priests of Pacia and the Shamans of Gora. Every tribe or village has their own variation of the Song, but it generally means the same thing and holds the same melody. All of the spells are variations of excerpts of the Song, and fighting styles are designed as a sort of dance to the Song. The Song is considered the national anthem of both nations, and the Orchestra sings the Song eternally. The Song known to mortal man is merely a verse of the true Song.

-Orcs and Beasts: Orcs are the most widespread monster from both nations. In Pacia, they resemble wolves, foxes, and livestock, and are smaller than the Gorian variants. They are, however, the smarter of the two, and are more cunning. They are referred to goblins for simplicity. The Gorian orcs are larger and more aggressive, and take the appearance of boars or gorillas. Orcs hunt in hordes of 10-15, and use blunt weapons like sticks and stones or weapons looted from dead bodies.

Other beasts include dire variants of normal beasts, like rats and bears. They are monsters who take on their forms and are generally twice the normal size and are carnivorous, regardless of the animal imitated. They are notorious for wiping out every living thing nearby, wild animals and livestock included.

Undead creatures are rare, and are raised by necromancers; people who created spells by singing the Song backwards [which is a sin punishable by torture and life imprisonment, because necromancers rise after death as well] The undead are extremely spiteful of living things, and kill everything in their path.

Dragons are ancient, vile creatures of malign intent to the extreme. They are winged beasts, with either fur or scales and live in all climates. They speak in Song, and they know a much more complete version of the Song, resulting in them being far greater spellcasters. They live for extremely long, and can regenerate almost all body parts, including their head. The only parts that they cannot regenerate are the vocal chords or the heart.

More to be added later. I'd like some thoughts on the setting, and I welcome all contributions, be they characters or story plots. Basically the main story I had in mind was of Darion meeting Eres and Alister, trying to stop Douglas and his corrupt noble family, but apart from that, I don't have a definitive big bad.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesecake's Brain-Realm!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:07:39 am »

Reserved for stories and other stuff.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 03:18:48 am »

I gusta this and will be watching.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:20 am »

Wow this looks increda-bully-orsome :o

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

Spoiler: Chapter 1 (click to show/hide)

This is the first chapter. Please tell me what you think! I'd love to hear your opinions on this.
Dying of laughter?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 12:50:01 am »

Yeargh! Wall-text! Me one weakness!

Only kidding. I'll read it soon. Promise.