Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Space Station 13 Remake  (Read 53715 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 Remake
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2012, 06:00:22 am »

Then again, think about the fun things you can do in 3D mode. You can hide on top of things, or  below them. You can hide bombs in a lot of other place. You could have hull breaches in unexpected places.

If it possible, it would be fun if a realistic athmospheric system gets implemented. I know pressure already works, but gasses and such flying around would be fun too. If you don't want players to be flying around the place, you can justify it by saying  that they have magnetic shoes or something.

I also know the OP has plans to implement a realistic system to simulate depressurisation and such, so changing athmospherical conditions might be possible.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2012, 06:09:37 am »

This is FUCKING AWESOME

Not contributing to the thread at all, but this project looks ~.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:44 pm »

I chose to remain completely sinicle/sinacle/sinical... hmm... Synacle until I start to see the gameplay though.

Just putting the game into this format completely changes it in every possible way... just taking it out of quasi turn based where you could get away with things simply because it took forever to do the most simple of activities... completely changes the way the game is played.

So I should treat this like an entirely different game... Since it is.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2012, 11:40:45 pm »

sinicle/sinacle/sinical... hmm... Synacle

Cynical.

Also, posting to watch. Because this is awesome.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2012, 11:52:49 am »

You, sir, maker guy.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
For people like you with the mentality of "I like what you have here, but let's make it better." and then the ability and willingness to actually do it, and succeed! Though it is still WIP, I wholeheartedly await and expect it's release sometime in the near or far future.
Thanks!

Speaking of, how many simplifications are you sorta-planning on making?  There are a vast number of things that are made inherently easier in a minimalistic, 2D interface...  How do you intend to incorporate the ability for misleading other players, finding them out, plotting overly complicated acts of mayhem or violence (like oversaturating a room with oxygen and then setting up a remote signaler to cause a spark, or sabotaging the vent system to release an airborne contagion)?  Also, unless you're planning on shifting things over to the planet (I have a very soft spot in my heart for spherical gravity centers in gaming), how do you intend to sort out the work miners have got cut out for them?  An asteroid belt seems fairly reasonable, if somewhat resource intensive.  It also allows for concealment, "swapping out" old asteroids for new to keep mining fresh, and installation of radio bouncers/jammers and evil syndicate death rays.  What about monkeys?  The blob?  Changelings?

I'm certain there are going to be simplifications from the original, there almost have to be.  And, in a few cases, I don't think much love will be lost.  A first-person 3D environment already forces a stronger sense of atmosphere, so I'm curious as to what ideas you have for how this re-imagining should play out.
Just putting the game into this format completely changes it in every possible way... just taking it out of quasi turn based where you could get away with things simply because it took forever to do the most simple of activities... completely changes the way the game is played.

So I should treat this like an entirely different game... Since it is.
Yeah, it won't be the same thing - 3D is fundamentally different from 2D, and implementing some things from SS13 becomes difficult/impossible. Still, treachery and sabotage should be possible and encouraged (instead of just shooting somebody!). The miners will work on the planet, yeah. As for blobs, i don't think i'll have those - it's not really compatible with a 3d environment. Monkeys and changelings are possible though. It would be nice to have a (somewhat) scarier mood than SS13 had, too.

Also, i uploaded a new version, with an inventory, nonfunctional oxygen tanks, and some sound effects. Also a few large bugfixes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »

One thing you might want to look at, although I don't know if it will work without rampant re-coding and tweaking, is the dynamic infestation from Natural Selection 2.

Should you decide upon blobbiness, something along those lines would probably be more than adequate.  I know *I'd* get freaked out by something like that, and it would react well to fighting things with fire.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:56 pm »

Perhaps you could use the same connectivity map as the gas system uses? Could render it using marching cubes over a voxel grid or something.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »

Although I've never played SS13, the setting of this game still strikes me as familiar. A bit like System Shock 2, perhaps. The apparent "traitor" option brings back memories of Trouble In Terrorist Town from Garry's Mod. Even with somewhat-lacking graphics and terrible hit detection, TTT was still nerve-wracking at times because all the worst enemies that you were up against were other players, and no NPC can really beat human craftiness.

I'm especially pleased at the inclusion of a Linux client. Excellent work all around. I rather hope that SSD can do to SS13 what Brogue did to the generic roguelike-- streamline things without losing depth.

EDIT: ah, speaking of traitors in space...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:26:41 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Kingsdragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:16 am »

SS13 is undeniably a brilliant game. I suggest you make a super basic demo, list your to do list anf make it a kickstarter project.
'She absolutely detests purring maggots' ~ Adrist Duthrom, miner

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:10 am »

SS13 is undeniably a brilliant game.

I can deny it.

I think history will see it as an the best of what is early attempts at mass roleplay games... heck perhaps it will never catch on...

But just everything about the game holds it back. Which is where its glory sort of shows, it is a game that everyone who plays it goes "It would be a great game IF" over and over again. It is like a great game done wretchedly.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2012, 12:54:04 am »

I'm not sure if he can make a kickstarter project. The space station 13 intellectual property isn't his. Its ownership, is at best ambiguous. The project has the capability to become it own intellectual property, but currently its doesnt seem to be distinguish enough from SS13. Heck, even the creator of the projects calls it SS13.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2012, 12:55:28 am »

I'm not sure if he can make a kickstarter project. The space station 13 intellectual property isn't his. Its ownership, is at best ambiguous. The project has the capability to become it own intellectual property, but currently its doesnt seem to be distinguish enough from SS13. Heck, even the creator of the projects calls it SS13.

If he as much as changed the name, said it was "inspired by" Space Station 13, and did a bit of work to change it.

He could get away with it somehow.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:54 am »

If he as much as changed the name, said it was "inspired by" Space Station 13, and did a bit of work to change it.

Yea, totally, this could totally be its own IP. I dont think its there yet. The implied Dev List thing to my understanding is 'the features from SS13'. I think for now, its to beholden to SS13 for now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 02:13:40 am »

Yea, totally, this could totally be its own IP. I dont think its there yet. The implied Dev List thing to my understanding is 'the features from SS13'. I think for now, its to beholden to SS13 for now.

Change the setting to the deep-sea.

Seabay 12  :P

(There will forever continue to be a lack of underwater games... :()

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:12 am »

Or....

*Movie trailer narrator voice*

In a world where dwarves have developed intergalactic travel, one space station will go into the deepest

*dun*

darkest

*dun*

corner of the

*DUNDUN*

CIRCUS.

*Cut to dwarves running down a ruined hallway, littered with corpses of their xXfallen comradesXx.*

"Urist, the Spess Carp are in the escape shuttle!"

"Looks like we'll need more magma."

SPESS DWARVES.

Coming to a theater near you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10