Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 15, 2012, 02:31:16 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: PlayableCiv+ (V. 0.05A) [Antmen]  (Read 47056 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: PlayableCiv+ (V. 0.01A)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 01:05:30 am »

This looks like a cool mod. Posting to watch, and hopfully help
Ty, and really the only thing I'd need help with would be ideas for more races and maybe translations. But with translations there is a certain style to how I'm going to make them.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 01:07:57 am »

Just because someone made a nasty Goblin Fortress once, doesn't mean that you can't do it right.

As for elves, here's an idea... Since they clearly have tons of wood, but it would be hypocritical for them to actually be chopping trees down (especially since they'd have to do it even more than dwarves, since wood is their only building material)... give them a special workshop that lets them produce wood logs at a steady pace for free.

Or, perhaps, give them access to one or more farmable 'wood plants' that can then be converted into actual wood logs at the workshop (by making the wood plants differentiated and biome-dependent, you could also connect the Elf game to the natural biome that they embark in, which seems very elfy, in the same way that Dwarves have to pay close attention to what they'll find underground).  You could say they use nature magic to create wood that 'wants' to be shaped.

I just can't picture elves actually clearing out forest space to build stuff, y'know?  Also it makes them even more elfishly annoying, since it implies that they won't share their secret of free wood-production with other races but still consider them barbarians for getting wood in the only way they are able to.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 01:16:55 am »

Just because someone made a nasty Goblin Fortress once, doesn't mean that you can't do it right.

As for elves, here's an idea... Since they clearly have tons of wood, but it would be hypocritical for them to actually be chopping trees down (especially since they'd have to do it even more than dwarves, since wood is their only building material)... give them a special workshop that lets them produce wood logs at a steady pace for free.

Or, perhaps, give them access to one or more farmable 'wood plants' that can then be converted into actual wood logs at the workshop (by making the wood plants differentiated and biome-dependent, you could also connect the Elf game to the natural biome that they embark in, which seems very elfy, in the same way that Dwarves have to pay close attention to what they'll find underground).  You could say they use nature magic to create wood that 'wants' to be shaped.

I just can't picture elves actually clearing out forest space to build stuff, y'know?  Also it makes them even more elfishly annoying, since it implies that they won't share their secret of free wood-production with other races but still consider them barbarians for getting wood in the only way they are able to.

It is kind of hypocritical for them to chop down forests yet the come over and tell you to stop cutting wood yourself. To be slightly realistic, maybe I could add a reed-like crop(such as a new bamboos?) and have it harvest raw reeds which are then taken to a special workshop where they're turned into logs. I'm not sure about the wood from nothing idea, I mean it would make sense that elves have that and don't share it, but I'm not sure how I'd imply that. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 01:29:01 am »

Why does noone know about RAKninja's Goblin Fortress? Lol it's a bit outdated now, but it's not the icky GF we all know about.

Plus growable trees I have, if you want to save some time on it. I think elves growing trees and processing them for logs sounds right. Elves dislike the clear cutting because then the forest is gone, were as if they grow trees and make sure everything is in perfect balance, all is well.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:04 am »

Why does noone know about RAKninja's Goblin Fortress? Lol it's a bit outdated now, but it's not the icky GF we all know about.

Plus growable trees I have, if you want to save some time on it. I think elves growing trees and processing them for logs sounds right. Elves dislike the clear cutting because then the forest is gone, were as if they grow trees and make sure everything is in perfect balance, all is well.

I see elven's thoughts of trees as

"This holds the soul of a dead man or woman. Thus it should not be touched." but thats just me, I dont see elves even thinking of growing trees just to be butchered.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:20 am »

I see elven's thoughts of trees as

"This holds the soul of a dead man or woman. Thus it should not be touched." but thats just me, I dont see elves even thinking of growing trees just to be butchered.
Ah, I was thinking of more "This is the gift we're given, lets make full use of it"
But that only worked because of how fast trees regrew. I do indeed like your philosophy better lol.

Mmmm could I see the growable trees you speak of? Just pm it :P

Alright, That's how Elves will work in the next update.(Soon, day after tomorrow maybe, tomorrow if I rush things)
Basically you grow trees as a plant, and then process the plant at a custom workshop which produces your logs. In that case I think I can remove their acceptance of Battle Axes because, imo, they'd be seen as horrible murderous weapons. Sort of like, if you were to walk into Walmart carrying a spiked club with a bloody corpse on it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:07:31 am by Toxicshadow »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 02:10:29 am »

Just remember who to thank for those raws ;) took me forever to get all natural surface trees to be growable versions lol

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:57 am »

Just remember who to thank for those raws ;) took me forever to get all natural surface trees to be growable versions lol
lol Ofc I'll be giving you credit. I don't steal work. That is a lot, is that all the trees? That must have taken AGESSSSS, longer than just forever.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:47 am »

Every tree that is not GOOD or EVIL. Only the natural ones.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:43 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:50 am »

There are [GOOD] and [EVIL] trees? What? Do you mean the "dead" trees?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 02:37:13 am »

I believe he's referring to trees that are distinct to Good and Evil alignment regions.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 02:42:21 am »

Glumprog and Featherwood

those kindof trees

Ninja'd

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:42 am »

Maybe, instead of chopping trees, elves would have a special "Elven Grove" type of workshop where elves, using their Nature Magic skill, grow wood. The Grow Wood reaction (or whatever) would take one, preserved log, have a 10-25% chance of producing a copy of it, and perhaps a very small chance of producing a special, magical log.
Also, bark armor should be a bit different. Maybe something like first stripping off the bark from a log (turning it into "stripped wood," which should be less valuable and unuseable in the grove) and "X wood bark" (X being the tree type, and bark being a custom tool). Then, change the barky reactions to use bark.
In exchange, make elves learn melee skills other than swordselfship VERY slowly (swords being both a traditional elf weapon and the "Jack-Of-Both-Trades" slashing weapon, and therefore not as good as axes or spears for reasons given in the link). Also, consider giving them a reaction that they occasionally use in greeting that slows each down immensely for a while as they lazily chat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »

Maybe, instead of chopping trees, elves would have a special "Elven Grove" type of workshop where elves, using their Nature Magic skill, grow wood. The Grow Wood reaction (or whatever) would take one, preserved log, have a 10-25% chance of producing a copy of it, and perhaps a very small chance of producing a special, magical log.
Also, bark armor should be a bit different. Maybe something like first stripping off the bark from a log (turning it into "stripped wood," which should be less valuable and unuseable in the grove) and "X wood bark" (X being the tree type, and bark being a custom tool). Then, change the barky reactions to use bark.
In exchange, make elves learn melee skills other than swordselfship VERY slowly (swords being both a traditional elf weapon and the "Jack-Of-Both-Trades" slashing weapon, and therefore not as good as axes or spears for reasons given in the link). Also, consider giving them a reaction that they occasionally use in greeting that slows each down immensely for a while as they lazily chat.

In the next update they're going to grow trees like a plant, which is then processed through its own workshop. And yeah, I was thinking about making bark its own item, really I just wanted to let elves make the wood armor/weapons that the tokens let them make.

I should make bark armor and wood armor 2 separate things, bark acts more like leather
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19