Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breached a Cavern, No Spores?  (Read 1523 times)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Breached a Cavern, No Spores?
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:44:53 pm »

So I just breached a cavern in a desert fort I'm building out of glass, to get underground trees and all that.

The first one had absolutely no vegetation, normal enough since I put cavern min water at 0. I figured that one didn't spawn with water, so no spores for me, so be it.

So I dig down to the second cavern and breach it. The place has a full complement of cavern life and plants, GCS, a few trogs, and tower-caps and fungiwoods and cavern moss galore.

Yay! Thinks I, now I shall have trees to cut and underground forage for my beasties.

Except for not...... even after mining out a large area of soil under my desert floor, of sandy clay and yellow sand, no vegetation whatsoever has begun to grow in said mined out area. This is disheartening.

I thought spores could pass through walls and what have you, but maybe I'm wrong?

Help?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breached a Cavern, No Spores?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »

How long as it been since you dug out the areas in question? Mosses and saplings take time to sprout; they also tend to spread outwards from a central area that was already open when the cavern was breached. Your stairwell should see plantlife first and it may simply be getting trampled before it really takes root.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »

Well it's only been about half a season, and the growth is spreading about 70 z-levels.... maybe you're right, it could be a matter of timing.

That said, I've never had this issue before: neither caps and blood thorns have started showing up effectively instantaneously in other forts I've made. Perhaps in the update spores spread slower?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

I put cavern min water at 0

In theory, there shouldent be anything in the cavern anyway, since you put the cavern water at 0%, its probobly a bug or something, but dont quote me on that.

If the plants and such dont sprout after a long while, that would be why.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

There are dry cavern plants, but I think that they're primarily second and third level.

At a minimum of 0 just means that dry caverns are a possibility, it'll only be guaranteed to be that if both Min and Max are set to 0.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

I put cavern min water at 0

In theory, there shouldent be anything in the cavern anyway, since you put the cavern water at 0%, its probobly a bug or something, but dont quote me on that.

If the plants and such dont sprout after a long while, that would be why.

Oh no, the min water is at 0, max is at 80. Nothing special about that, it's not like water doesn't exist in my caverns.

The Giant Olms dictate otherwise.