Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves choose death over commerce!  (Read 2040 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves choose death over commerce!
« on: July 04, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »

My Dwarves would rather dive into the river so they can be washed off a cliff to their watery graves than make a lovely wooden bridge to help the nice merchant people make their lives not suck so much. I dont get it. i assigned two dwarves now and they both did the exact same thing, they try to cross the river way east of the actual bridge for some reason, which is also right at the top of the waterfall. so they fall and die like retards. how do i keep them away from the damn waterfall?

edit: make that three dwarves
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:22:51 pm by Noodler13 »

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves choose death over commerce!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:26:11 pm »

Can't really help, but that story did make me lol.  Here is my dramatic reading:

http://soundcloud.com/sir_schwick/sad-post

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:51 pm »

Can't really help, but that story did make me lol.  Here is my dramatic reading:

http://soundcloud.com/sir_schwick/sad-post

Win.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

now most of my fort is down there. its probably my fault for settling so close to the waterfall/cliffness

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:34:03 pm »

I have never had problems with waterfalls. My dwarves always avoid it or use the bridge.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

My Dwarves would rather dive into the river so they can be washed off a cliff to their watery graves than make a lovely wooden bridge to help the nice merchant people make their lives not suck so much. I dont get it. i assigned two dwarves now and they both did the exact same thing, they try to cross the river way east of the actual bridge for some reason, which is also right at the top of the waterfall. so they fall and die like retards. how do i keep them away from the damn waterfall?

edit: make that three dwarves
Commerce is slow death. Waterfall plunging is fast death. Which would your dwarves prefer?
Hint: it's the one that avoids talking.
[/joke]

What's on the other side of the river? (I'm assuming there's a river before the waterfall, which your dwarves are crossing and then getting swept downstream to their dooms)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »

yes theres a river coming from the west which goes into a waterfall going down 2 z levels which then immediately splits into two. my dwarves are on the north side, and as far as whats on the other side... trees. bushes. grass.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:41:35 pm »

Are there any animals on the south side of your map? Also, what sort of dwarves have been dying?
You might have ordered your dwarves to chop wood or gather plants from the south side of the map..

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »

well the first to go was the fisherdwarf i brought along, followed by a woodcutter, followed by another woodcutter, followed by various different professions i had assigned to architecture for the bridge, and then a small child, a merchant, and the rest of my fort but 2 miners and a glassmaker.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:56 pm »

well the first to go was the fisherdwarf i brought along, followed by a woodcutter, followed by another woodcutter, followed by various different professions i had assigned to architecture for the bridge, and then a small child, a merchant, and the rest of my fort but 2 miners and a glassmaker.
Fisherdwarf was most likely trying to fish from the river. Everyone else then tried to grab his socks after he died.

What a lot of people do in this situation is to wall off the edges of the river to prevent more stupidity.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:54:26 pm »

im not so sure thats what they were trying to do, id assign them to build the bridge, and seconds later id get an annoucement saying the bridge is getting cancelled because the jackass cant look where he's going

Edit: i think i figured it out! possibly... i was assigning wood from across the river to use for the bridge, i had a smaller bridge already built east of the waterfall  though i dont know why they wouldnt use it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:59:27 pm by Noodler13 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:38 pm »

What version are you playing? I believe in some of the latest ones Toady had the ramps right at the top of a waterfall removed to prevent this problem. Elsewise your best bet is to roof or bridge over those last few waterfall tiles so your dwarves stop walking through them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:08:50 pm »

im using the latest version, but ill covering that area just incase