Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple question: How do I use multiple mods?  (Read 1845 times)

Polemicist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple question: How do I use multiple mods?
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:35:12 am »

There's just a small handful of mods that I want to use for a custom build.

LNP has a mod manager feature, but this seems largely unreliable for multiple mods. I've fiddled with it, it doesn't seem to be capable of keeping more than one mod installed at a time, and while it claims to 'merge' mods, it doesn't actually seem to merge files like entities_default etc. At least, I haven't been able to get mods like Grims Historical Accuracy  and Black Powder Mod to work in tandem. Way bummed.

I looked at other mod managers, looked at Rubble - seems super powerful but it contains almost no documentation about converting mods into Rubble's custom mod format.

In general, documentation on this subject seems really, really, really, really, really scant. I've googled for the past two weeks. Asked on the reddit, zilch. Googled incessantly, nada. Coming here is my final recourse. My next step is sacrificing an entire elf retreat to the God of Blood.

Cheers if anyone can lead me in the right direction. <3

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple question: How do I use multiple mods?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:37 pm »

Patch routines can compare a baseline with a new version and slot in the changed values in place of the old ones, but what if two mods alter the same thing? Which one gets priority? What if one mod removes an item in favor of a replacement and another just modifies the original, should there be two items intended to fill the same role? The dumbfire script can't make judgments like that, can you?

We use diff utilities like windiff.exe or WinMerge to make the manual work of sewing together multiple text files less... manual. But you're the one building a whole new system out of two separate ones here, the burden of designing how the pieces fit together according to the original intent is on you.

Polemicist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:44:04 pm »

Gotcha. I'm using Notepad++ with the compare plugin, but I'll grab windiff to make things a bit more automated.

Thankya!

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:33:01 am »

Just squeezing in here to point out that mods written with PyDwarf won't have compatibility issues like this, and that it has a script named pineapple.diff that will try very hard for you to combine mods that aren't made specifically for PyDwarf and are just modified raws files, provided they were made for the very same version of Dwarf Fortress that you're trying to mod with PyDwarf.