Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Am I crazy...  (Read 8715 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Am I crazy...
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

... Or is this forum filled with the nicest coolest people on the internet? seriously i never see anyone say anything shitty to someone like a typical forum its great. Not that ive thoroughly inspected each forum but this place is just great. Love DF, love you guys too! hah. cheers

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
Re: Am I crazy...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:54 pm »

You're stupid (just had to)
Eh, it depends per forum. Some forums are full of crap, some are normal, some are good. This happens to be good+toady. The intelligence required to get into Dwarf Fortress usually wards off the trolls.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »

thank god for esoterism!

is that even a word? It is now.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:14:57 pm »

I know how you feel.
Ever since I joined this forum I've always been pleased with how nice people are.
I've only seen trolls twice, and they were quickly dispatched.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:29:54 pm »

Thank you. Although if you stay around here long enough, you probably WILL go crazy. No pressure, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »

Sometimes there are disagreements that can become fairly heated, but it's like Kaleb702 says.  The game itself serves as a sort of "You must be this thoughtful and thick-skinned to ride" checkpoint that tends to turn away oversensitive folks and the terminally clueless before they ever get as far as the forum.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:45:49 am »

You are crazy.

This forum doesn't exist.

AWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:26 am »

This is a pretty good forum. Even the arguments are intelligent.

There was a pretty intense argument not long ago about the proper grammatical use of a single word. I don't remember the specifics, but it was incredibly polite, lasted several pages and ended with a general consensus. I've only ever seen this happen on the DF forum, so props to all you fellow intellitrolls!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:42:45 am »

I lurked around a fair lot of forums on teh interwebz and since I am quite shy when I am online I get scared when I read flame wars but here I feel confident enough to post from time to time because even the flame wars tend to be polite and waged by well-behaved people. The moderation is not oppressive and is mostly done by the members themselves. And to wrap it up there are some wonderful people around (girlinhat, aussie, loud whispers, and so much others)...

or maybe all of you are psychos and jerks that enjoy playing a maddening game of kitten/baby slaughter... Oh wait I enjoy it too :s

nearly deleted my post after reading it again. I seldom dare to post for fear of not being up to the forum level.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:22 am »

I dont see anything wrong with that post!

And yeah, we look like psychos. but  thats just in ASCII, so it just means we have... a "good" imagination, i guess? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

From what I have witnessed in my several months of lurking here and reading some of the old threads I have to say I agree with you Noodler, these people are illegally mellow at least by normal internet standards.
They routinely talk about kitten slaughter, the best methods to immolate creatures without destroying their stuff, or how to produce 'children' with personality problems beyond the dream of psychoanalysts but no one is going to insult your mother.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:21 pm »

There isn't much forgiveness on this forum. If you say something exceptionally out of line you'll most likely get perma banned. It's probably the biggest contributor to the "nice" factor you're referencing.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

That said, the level for "exceptionally bad" is pretty rigorous.  I've seen threads relating Dr. Himler's research to sapient farming in DF.  As long as it was about game mechanics, it was pretty well accepted.

When a thread like that veers away from procedural analogies to personal hate-fests mongered by IRL racist/fascist/hate-type-persons, that's where the line is drawn.

Enjoy the Schadenfeude.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

Enjoy the Schadenfeude.
Epicaricacy.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »

Minecraft forum > Bay12forum  :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: [1] 2