Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SCP: Site 17 - [WIP] Nethack-type roguelike written in Python (demo .006)  (Read 24059 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Yea, having to do this kind of thing is a pain for everyone, but it's a deeply unavoidable part of designing and complex mathematical structures (such as computer programs), and it happens to the best. All the time.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Update soon. (click to show/hide)

Systems for materials and liquids were added in, along with a method of constructing items from parts.  Containers hold up to a specific volume, and liquids take up a specific amount of space - a 500ml beaker will only hold 500ml of water before spilling over.  There are methods for displacement and liquid diffusion - I wanted to avoid a distinction between liquid items and actual liquids.  When liquids combine, the less voluminous liquid is stored as a 'solution' in the more voluminous liquid.

Items can be examined a bit more closely - more or less specific information will be displayed depending on what the player character knows about the item in question.  Parts now have inventories and can be filled with various items or liquids as needed.  There's also a method for registering separate parts as touching one another, which will be applied to appropriate character interactions as needed.

With luck, I'll have something to upload in the next few days, once a few more things are finished and tied together.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:29:36 am by SethCreiyd »

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is fantastic, playing the demo now.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Thanks Minstrel.  The next version will be very different in structure, though the general appearance of things will be about the same.

It's been a rough slog - right now, selecting an appropriate part for a given interaction between objects involves iterating over all the parts in their bodies and then iterating over each bodypart's type list.  It seems pretty clunky, and even something like picking up an object becomes a complicated mess of determining what part of the item to grab with which bodypart.

Fortunately, most of the groundwork for that is finished, and the finer tuned it gets the easier stuff will be to add.  The method for loading a bullet into a revolver is now the same method for putting a bottle of water into a bag; it's contextually implicit, and the inventory of the revolver's chamber is not functionally different than that of the bag, aside from capacity and such.

The firing of the bullet is now a matter of velocity, mass and force, and damage from impact will be calculated accordingly and applied to bodyparts instead of the current hit point setup.  The next big step, after this part/interaction work, is a priority queue for object actions, whereby objects take a turn more often as their speed increases.  Projectiles are now treated as ordinary objects in motion, so they'd be subject to the same queue, meaning that with enough speed, a character could outrun a bullet or bat it out of the air (though for creatures with normal speed, they'd appear to move instantly as they do now).

I won't have much time this weekend to work on it, but on Monday I'll try and get an update-worthy build finished.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Posting to watch. Because SCP goodness.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Sounds awesome! I don't see how the iterating is a problem, unless you need to do it thousands of times per turn, have hundreds of parts for each object, AND have hundreds of types per part. If you absolutely want to fix it, which I still think is unnecessary, making a list of types that ANY part of the object has, and using "[type] in [set]". Or maybe a dict with type as the key and links to the relevant part as the value.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile

Something fast, as in SCP-72-1?

So how will you handle the SCP's with great speed, strength, and world bending powers?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to see this is still being worked on. Not much I can say until the next demo really other than keep it up.
Edit: As a side note demo .006 doesn't seem to work for me, although I am running windows 7 so that might be a factor. I tried to use the source code directly since I have python installed anyway, but when it didn't work I realized I didn't know which version you were coding in. I realized it was 2.6 after some code delving, and after downloading that I realized I'd probably have to fiddle with a lot of things given that I already have python, and gave up for now. Regardless, here's the error it generates as soon as I click the exe.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site17.py", line 20, in <module>
  File "slib.pyc", line 142, in load_settings
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'file1' referenced before assignment
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:41:43 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: Still working.  After struggling with concepts like factories and implementing dozens of poorly-chosen methods and turning the code into incomprehensible spaghetti, I took some time to grow more acquainted with Python.  The current code is in bad need of a major tuneup, but at least now I'm feeling up to the task.  Stay tuned, I've got to finish this update before I bring it to the SCP Wiki for their approval.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:09:22 am by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 2 [3]