Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-apocalyptic roguelikes?  (Read 6730 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Post-apocalyptic roguelikes?
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:14:05 pm »

Can anyone recommend some post-apocalyptic roguelikes, or any somewhat similar game?

I've tried Deon's Post-Apocalypse mod, but for some reason, it's unplayably slow on my computer. (Dwarf Fortress vanilla works fine for me, though.)

I've been playing Cataclysm, and that's been great. I suppose I'd like something similar, with many different skills to learn and to use - and maybe even with a graphics pack, since I'm not a huge fan of ASCII - but with a Wasteland or Fallout theme.

Alternatively, I'd be interested in any of these kinds of games with a science fiction theme, since I get tired of fantasy. And much as I'm enjoying Cataclysm, I'd like a game with NPCs I can trade with and defend (if only in my imagination). I enjoy survival games, but I also enjoy building. So rebuilding civilization in a post-apocalyptic setting would seem to be ideal.

But really, I'm just easily bored, so I tend to jump from game to game. And I'm always looking for something new to try.  :)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Post-apocalyptic roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:19:09 pm »

If you'd like to try some ultimate The Road-level depressing post-apocalypse rougelike, there's Broken Bottle. (Scroll down)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:28 am »

Thanks, guys. I'll check them out.

I'm still playing the heck out of Cataclysm, and still working on my latest Dwarf Fortress fort, but you can never have too many games lined up, right?  :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:48 am »

Alphaman! Technically lambda rogue. ToME4 counts too, at least as lore goes, but it definitely doesn't fit the general theme (and is fantasy, not scifi). Here's a decent list of scifi roguelikes, which might help you out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:44:55 am »

I really wish the source code for Unreal World was opened up. I could see making a post-apoc mod for that being exceptionally easy.

ninja811

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »

i've been playing this game for a while and i'm loving it http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »

I really liked alphaman but it seems thatthe original site is down.

You start in a post bomb setting with some random mutations and are set to save the world

It was nice to find stuff and tinker with it
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Alphaman

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 01:55:03 am »

Are there any graphical post-apoc rogue likes other than Rogue Survivor and the older version of Cataclysm?

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:22:38 am »

Are there any graphical post-apoc rogue likes other than Rogue Survivor and the older version of Cataclysm?

Is that an older version? The post with Deon's tileset is recent, so I assumed that it was a new version. (I really don't know how to tell what version it is.)

I'll check out the others, but I second the comment about Unreal World. That's a great game, and I'm sure a post-apocalyptic mod would be great fun. Admittedly, there's not much interaction with NPCs, and helping local communities would be a big draw for me in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:55 am »

Is that an older version? The post with Deon's tileset is recent, so I assumed that it was a new version. (I really don't know how to tell what version it is.)

That's an older version, the newest version has the vehicles mod integrated and the tileset doesn't currently support it.