Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.  (Read 43451 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »

regarding selling the parts of a bundle you already own, the document specifically says that if you get a bunch of licenses in a bundle, you can only sell the whole bundle, not individual licenses.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

5. This entire thing can be avoided by companies selling you a 100 year license for the game instead of transferring ownership.  In practice, this would be no different to how things are now.  Unless you want to play Shogun 2 in 2112, which is pretty unlikely.

Quibbling on this point: time-limited licenses might well be a way to dodge this ruling, but a 100-year license that is not transferable to other parties would likely be considered to be a sale by the judge(s) that made this ruling.

Now, a three year license with cheap renewal?  That might well pass muster.

Edit: There are five pages of comments already on RPS.  In under four hours.  People are interested in this one.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:05 pm »

Sexy to bad I'm not in the EU.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:43 pm »

I wonder how this works with subscription gaming.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Im shocked by the news, and really dont know what to expect from it. As always what matters is how those magical rules aply to the real world so ill wait and see before claiming victory.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:02 pm »

You can already just change the credit card, or use prebought store cards, and just hand over the account and password. I almost did that in FFXI but decided it wasn't worth the hassle for me or my guild mates.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 02:45:30 pm »

You can already just change the credit card, or use prebought store cards, and just hand over the account and password. I almost did that in FFXI but decided it wasn't worth the hassle for me or my guild mates.
I've done many account transactions in ultima online. Just delete your billing info then provide username and password to new owner. Ultima online actually even has an account transfer function!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

I see this pitting EU courts against the global entertainment industry, spearheaded by 'MERICA! Hollywood!
Fixed that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 02:53:35 pm »

So this means that someone is going to make a website designed to pair people who want to sell games which they have as gifts on digital distribution services with people who want to buy games cheaper. Pretty cool. I can't see how it would be possible to sell a game which you've already played, though. Unless the ruling allows you to burn software onto a disc and sell it with the condition that you delete your own copy, but that seems a bit unenforceable.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »

So this means that someone is going to make a website designed to pair people who want to sell games which they have as gifts on digital distribution services with people who want to buy games cheaper. Pretty cool. I can't see how it would be possible to sell a game which you've already played, though. Unless the ruling allows you to burn software onto a disc and sell it with the condition that you delete your own copy, but that seems a bit unenforceable.

Can you sell a book after reading it, or a movie after watching it?
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »

Yes and yes. Though there are groups trying to force that to not be possibly, stupidly.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »

brb moving to EU, sounds like its going better then America at least.  :P

no seriously, this is good, it means that the governments are finally moving past the commercial ideas of the 1800's.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

Nope. Not legaly, I think.
According to the things on the backside (for DVD's) and the texts that blur past , I don't think you are allowed to resell them.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:56 pm »

Nope. Not legaly, I think.
According to the things on the backside (for DVD's) and the texts that blur past , I don't think you are allowed to resell them.

well shit, EVERYBODY breaks the law then.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »

Nope, you forgot to consider the first sale doctrine. Its legal.
The first-sale doctrine generally allows the purchaser of any copyrighted work to re-sell or use the work in many ways without the copyright holder’s permission. That’s why used bookstores, libraries, GameStop, video rental stores and even eBay are all legal. But how the doctrine applies to foreign-purchased works — the so-called grey market — has been a matter of considerable debate.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19