Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.  (Read 42969 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »

Wow, Europe's doing something right for once

Yeah, silly EULA's and IP have never really been my thing, so rulings like this are all well and good in my book.

Of course, there might be some downsides. As someone said earlier, Steam sales aren't as worthwhile for Steam if you get small time game speculators buying 1000x copies of games for 75% off and selling them at 50% off later, but then maybe Steam will find a way to make money from that.

EDIT: Somewhat off topic actually, but Steam might be able to make money just from functioning as an online gaming market and charging a set fee for transactions. People buy each other's old games so they're happy, Steam gets a part of the action from fees so they're happy, the game devs maybe wouldn't be so happy but then Steam could just offer them some indirect incentive or buy them out or something
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:58:48 pm by GreatJustice »
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:30 pm »

1) Start a company that buys used games for 50% of their cost and sells at 80%;
2) Profit.
This immediately came to mind when I read that.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »

Does this mean online piracy re-selling of digital copies is legal? Such as a non-steam Steam coming around to sell games bought from Steam and such to others online for cheaper price?

How does the law differentiate between 'digital download' and a fully pirated game? Can they even tell from a law standpoint? If not, what's to stop a TPB-like tracker coming out charging money for downloaded/easily pirated games?

*Casts summon Truean*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:55:52 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

The two are, before any patches are made (either of the circumvention or update kind) identical. Same game, same game data, same .exe file. The only differences are in method of aquisition and the game data post-patching. IANAL, but that might be relevant if Summon: Truean is succesful.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »

Does this mean online piracy re-selling of digital copies is legal? Such as a non-steam Steam coming around to sell games bought from Steam and such to others online for cheaper price?

How does the law differentiate between 'digital download' and a fully pirated game? Can they even tell from a law standpoint? If not, what's to stop a TPB-like tracker coming out charging money for downloaded/easily pirated games?

*Casts summon Truean*

Having the software does not alone constitute a license, so.. there's a pretty clear difference as far as I see.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 05:16:41 pm »

Let's just stick with the CD keys and be done with it. No more 3 installs only or constant online BS. EU, make it so!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

Let's just stick with the CD keys and be done with it. No more 3 installs only or constant online BS. EU, make it so!
This would be great. Or hell, bring shareware back, with all its extended demo kinda stuff. (well, bring it back more than just the rarely found game using the system Geneforge, AI War, AVWW, or WazHack use.) They will complain, and complain hard, about piracy. But its going to happen any-bloody-way, so why are you wasting your time on high-tech, minimal-effect drm, use the simpler way. Probably cheaper too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 05:29:09 pm »

Companies always complain about piracy and the companies that do "studies" always overblow everything as much as they can. The DRM makers have a product to sell and they'll do anything to sell it.

/choir
/preach

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »

Having the software does not alone constitute a license, so.. there's a pretty clear difference as far as I see.

You still agree to the EULA even if you are a pirate, so....?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »

You still agree to the EULA even if you are a pirate, so....?
You don't legitimately own anything to resell, in this case. I would assume it's identical to how stealing and then selling physical items isn't legitimate or protected by law.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

The discrepancy can't really be addressed unless they happen to know that a digital download is a pirated version or not, yes? If so then they'll have to assume every digital download is illegitimate and act from there.

And if someone does end up paying 3$ for pirate version of Dungeons of Dredmor [example], unaware that their specific copy is illegitimate, do they or the distributor get penalized/tried?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:26:37 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

The discrepancy can't really be addressed unless they happen to know that a digital download is a pirated version or not, yes? If so then they'll have to assume every digital download is illegitimate and act from there.
No, thats a terrible idea. Then they're a pirate because they at somepoint bought a digital title, and the people dragged into court for no reason have to prove they're innocent, instead of the other way around. We've got far too many not-exactly-prisoners as it is.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 06:28:07 pm »

That's my point, Aklyon.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 06:29:25 pm »

Odds are if this gets done at all the reselling will probably need to be done through whatever it was bought from originally. I don't think any part of this is allowing trading of burned and cracked CDs.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 06:30:51 pm »

Odds are if this gets done at all the reselling will probably need to be done through whatever it was bought from originally. I don't think any part of this is allowing trading of burned and cracked CDs.

I'm not talking about box games, I'm talking about digital games. The ones you don't need to emulate/download a CD in order to pirate.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19