Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.  (Read 42977 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: EU Rules in favour of reselling digital downloads.
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 11:21:04 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks this opens up a huge can of worms and isn't 100% a good thing?

How so?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:24 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks this opens up a huge can of worms and isn't 100% a good thing?

How so?
It punishes game developers in favor of resellers. One obvious issue that's already been raised is that now it's impossible to sell something for cheap without having to worry about being undercut with it later, but it also applies much more generally than that as well. Shunting some of the rewards for making a game from the people who made it to people who facilitate reselling it in order to streamline people being able to rent it in a roundabout way has some obvious, unpleasant connotations.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:55 pm »

It's still business as usual with xbox games, unless they also declared those online code things illegal (Those being the only reason I bought a new copy of Mass Effect 3 rather than a used one).

I bought Modern Warfare 3 for $45 or so and traded it back in for $40 a couple months later, in the US. I think I may have gotten it used, too (actually, probably not).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:24 pm »

It's still business as usual with xbox games, unless they also declared those online code things illegal (Those being the only reason I bought a new copy of Mass Effect 3 rather than a used one).
I believe any mechanism designed to limit or control reselling/transfer in this way was deemed illegal, yes.

Still only in the EU, though, and obviously it'll take a while to be enforced/adapted to. How/whether they'd be required to retroactively adjust things that are already floating around to suit this requirement is also possibly an issue.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2012, 11:47:00 pm »

expect prices to go up to cover the lost profits.

Expect sales to go down then I guess?

precisely my point
I got nothing

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2012, 11:48:57 pm »

It punishes game developers in favor of resellers. One obvious issue that's already been raised is that now it's impossible to sell something for cheap without having to worry about being undercut with it later, but it also applies much more generally than that as well. Shunting some of the rewards for making a game from the people who made it to people who facilitate reselling it in order to streamline people being able to rent it in a roundabout way has some obvious, unpleasant connotations.

It "punishes" game developers by requiring them to abide by the same consumer protection/rights laws as every other industry that wants to sell things.

Publishers worry about anything and everything, the decision to sell things cheap (I assume you mean stuff like indie bundles and steam 75% off sales?) is still entirely upto them. Plenty of other non-video game things are sold in sales and still manage to make a profit.

I don't get what that last sentance means, "streamline people being able to rent it in a roundabout way?" Are you objecting to the idea of being able to rent video games?

expect prices to go up to cover the lost profits.

Expect sales to go down then I guess?

precisely my point

Mine too? :S

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2012, 12:08:02 am »

It "punishes" game developers by requiring them to abide by the same consumer protection/rights laws as every other industry that wants to sell things.

Publishers worry about anything and everything, the decision to sell things cheap (I assume you mean stuff like indie bundles and steam 75% off sales?) is still entirely upto them. Plenty of other non-video game things are sold in sales and still manage to make a profit.
This is considerably different with goods that aren't entirely digital. Even goods that are theoretically just data, like movies or regular games, still experience some manner of loss or decay. A digital product has zero disadvantages in getting it from some shady guy on a street corner versus the people who made it in the first place.

I don't get what that last sentance means, "streamline people being able to rent it in a roundabout way?" Are you objecting to the idea of being able to rent video games?
I was referring to customers who resell the game when they're done with it- they're more or less just renting the game in a roundabout fashion.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:19 am »

This is considerably different with goods that aren't entirely digital. Even goods that are theoretically just data, like movies or regular games, still experience some manner of loss or decay. A digital product has zero disadvantages in getting it from some shady guy on a street corner versus the people who made it in the first place.
Depends on the degree of shadiness. To take the metaphor further, perhaps the shady guy on the corner has to give you a box to give you the product. But the box is shaped like a little wooden horse. And then Agamemnon and company come pouring out to wreck your computer's shit.

Boom, virus'd. Bet Steam wouldn't give you that.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 12:35:52 am »

Yes, but if you are selling your rights to a digital copy, that would include the right to download it from steam as well. Basically, what this seems to be is it vanishing from your account and appearing on someone's else account. There's absolutely no loss of value at all.

Honestly, what I think that's likely is: No more sales happening on EU, and prices will go generally up. If we are luck, prices will go up only in EU, but it's likely that it'll affect everyone worldwide, partially as they try to recoup losses, partially as they try to avoid people buying games from outside the EU (have a friend buy and gift it to them possibly for example). It honestly sounds somewhat damaging for the whole digital distribution model.

This kind of policy sounds great on paper, but on practice tends to have a good deal of unintended undesirable effects. Every time I see decisions such as these I want to bash the head of their makers with an economics textbook. Consider the whole freaking picture, consider what kind of effects that kind of policy would make, and at the very least address them instead of apparently ignoring them.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2012, 12:47:37 am »

Economics has nothing to do with the law. :P

Let's replace "a shady guy on a street corner" with "steam" to avoid the obvious "virus'd" "not what you paid for" "not a legal copy" responses:

Steam still has downsides:
You lose internet due to a derecho (!?), freak thunderstorm, noreaster, tornado, hurricane, etc, but you have a generator, so you run your computer on it because you feel like it. Alas, you cannae get ye steam games from steam if they already weren't installed, and cannae run them if you don't have steam set up properly to do that (and some games don't allow it at all - Skyrim, I think, doesn't?) - unless your internet is miraculously working (my ISP is apparently lazy, as our internet keeps working when the power goes out for only a couple hours and then goes out, and they lol at phone calls during power outages complaining of lack of service, because they've never heard of generators before). Someday Valve may decide to sell Steam, and then who knows what happens next, or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.

(Not that generators are good for the climate, but what are you gonna do when the government refuses to spend any money to improve the power infrastructure so this stuff can't happen anymore?)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:51:24 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:44 am »

Economics has nothing to do with the law. :P
Only when lawmakers are stupid. That is, just nearly all the time. I still want to hit them with economics textbooks until they start considering the economical consequences of a policy before they decide on it.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2012, 01:21:31 am »

For certain methods of reselling I can see this not being as big of a problem. For example, for certain digital distributors like Steam, gamersgate, or g2g they can allow reselling of titles but with certain rules applying. For example, the distributor provides you a service for reselling games while collecting a bit of commission from themselves and the game developers.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2012, 02:00:07 am »

To be fair, games typically depreciate in value over time. A game that costs 100 dollars now may well cost 20 dollars in five years. Because the product is easily reproduced, the original seller has almost nothing to lose from a sale other than the opportunity for that sale. Many discounts are made on products that are not seeing an abundance of sales and so the reduction in price doesn't actually cost the original merchant anything, as the product was worthless without the sale that was inspired by the discount.

long story short: If it is economically viable to sell a product at a 75% discount, then the merchant can almost certainly, and most certainly should(see generally illegal predatory business practices) tolerate the product's value being at 25%. And 75% is most certainly not an unheard of depreciation in a high-profile computer game...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:17 am »

For certain methods of reselling I can see this not being as big of a problem. For example, for certain digital distributors like Steam, gamersgate, or g2g they can allow reselling of titles but with certain rules applying. For example, the distributor provides you a service for reselling games while collecting a bit of commission from themselves and the game developers.
Most such methods might end being classified as illegal if mandatory, as it might be counted as a barrier to resale. Besides, unless they charge absurd amounts for that service, they don't get even close to the amount of money from an actual sale.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2012, 06:07:48 am »

Yes! Now only if I lived in the EU...

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19