Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So, Gnomoria.  (Read 18340 times)

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, Gnomoria.
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

Anyone checked it out? Played the demo and so far it seems like DF with a GUI.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: So, Gnomoria.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

I played it for a bit, nothing special.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:41:42 pm »

there are a number of sandbox-games with world-shaping and tunnelbuilding ability now. the most prominent one i can think of is dungeon keeper. but i don't think that anyone can hack something as feature-rich as df in less time than toady just because he is a minecraft-fan.

i mean, the diggable local area and some worker bees are but a fraction of what df offers...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:44:27 pm by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

I rage quit dwarf fortress ages ago because i was a noob and had to contend with aquifers and didn't wanna turn them off. I was basically starting from the point where i learned how to designate >mine and designate cut tress and build a craft workshop and then instead of actually learning DF from there i went right to trying to breach a multilayered SOIL aquifer with multiple screw pumps and smoothing techniques.

Gnomoria came out and i gave it a shot and so much seemed misssing like archers etc it made me long for DF bcs i know DF had so many more gameplay features adn. Gnormoria effectively forced me back to DF.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:20:23 pm by Rafe »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »

I rage quit dwarf fortress ages ago
It's hard to find someone who didn't rage quit the first time they played Dwarf Fortress.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »

It's hard to find someone who didn't rage quit the first time they played Dwarf Fortress.
No, not really.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »

I played it for a while.

It's identical to Dwarf Fortress in basic concept.   It features gnomes instead of dwarves, and an 8-bit isometric mouse-driven graphics display.

It includes the following which is nearly identical to DF:
Soil, clay, ores and coal. 
Masonry, Carpentry, Jewelry, Furnaces, Smithing, Still, Kitchen, Butcher Shop, Tailoring, Loom.
Dining hall, beds, personal rooms, dormitories, pastures, farms. 

There are no hospitals, no wandering outside creatures.   Apparently no traps since research doesn't seem to work.  Ore is extremely sparse, although it does features various types such as copper, iron, steel, etc.   It features the same style of designate a stockpile, build a workshop kind of play.   

You can implement professions and assign gnomes to them just like labors in DF. 

NOTE:  This game isn't free.  There's a six-day playable demo, but the full game is in pre-alpha status and costs $7.99.   

Pros:

- The graphics look pretty clean and nice.
- Lighting and daytime/night-time effects.
- Can rotate the map.
- Can zoom out a little.
- Can turn off and on hidden levels, like an x-ray view.
- You can plant tree's. 
- Graphics can be set to just about any resolution.

Cons:

- Virtually no keyboard shortcuts, everything and that means EVERYTHING is handled through right click context menus.
- Nearly non-existent announcements.  Not told if a gnome dies, if an invader shows up, etc.
- It crashes alot.
- Workshops often don't get completed.
- Stockpiles priority doesn't work well and stuff rarely gets put away correctly.
- Farms must be on the surface for max production.
- Research to build new items doesn't seem to work.
- Can't command military to anything except patrol, guard or just be in a squad.
- No rivers, only lakes and ponds.
- No sound.
- Digging designations, especially up/down staircases, are mind cracking frustrating with isometric view point and mouse control.
- It crashes.   ALOT.   Did I mention this?
- Worldgen is retardedly slow considering it's just the map you're on and not an actual world with other kingdoms, etc.
- It's NOT FREE.    Playable demo limited to six days.
- There are tons of bugs and glitches.

In my opinion, this game has no business being out with a price tag on it.   It's barely playable and has few if any features implemented, and the ones that are implemented are barely working.   It needs to sit in development at least another year before being considered alpha.   

For comparisons, I would give Dwarf Fortress a 9.9 out of 10.0 rating.  (Nothing is ever perfect, no offense Toady.)

For Gnomoria:
Rating:  2.0 out of 10.0.

The overwhelming lack of things to do, bugged and glitchy features, lack of keyboard shortcuts or implementation, and the fact the developer's are trying to sell it already when it doesn't even work half well just doesn't sit well with me.   

If you're a sandbox fan like me, go try it out.   See for yourself.   But best option is to wait another year and let it become a real game.
Independent Game Developer

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:33:28 pm »

A PRICE TAG? In DF, only price tag is the cost of your processer :P.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »

After a point on your processor's clock speed, the memory speed starts to be more important.  Try 1600+ memory clock speed.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »

siggy.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »

Just so you know, there's already a thread down in Other Games.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:52:12 pm »

I read the wiki, no rage quitting for me... also, played 40d, so not as many features to confuse, and embarked on hills, generally no aquifers (or water at all, for that matter)

NOTE:  This game isn't free.  There's a six-day playable demo, but the full game is in pre-alpha status and costs $7.99.   

Wait, what? what? really?

pre-alpha games and time limited playable demos is a horrible decision! the point of the limited demo is to give a taste of a game and make someone want to buy it, a pre-alpha game shouldn't be to the point where a good first impression can be made!  I realize that they are trying to raise development money, but really... at this point, why bother making the demo time limited?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »

No, not really.

rage or paralysis. and then boatmurdered forces you back to it..
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Hmm I don't think anyone will out dwarf fortress dwarf fortress. Not anytime soon anyways. That said, I think this looks like it has promise to be fun in its own right.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:43 pm »

I didn't ragequit, I mercyquit. I was playing along, following a tutorial, etc. It said to expect goblin ambushes in about a year. So I'm going along, no defenses yet, when suddenly:

An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

My civilization was a war with elves. They showed up and started spearing my dwarves. I had not the foggiest idea on how the military worked, so I couldn't zerg rush them. After watching my dwarves get skewered for a while, I just mercyquit. Next game I built my walls really early, but didn't get any attacks until after a year or two. So, I have more reason to hate the hippies then most. They killed my first game!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: [1] 2 3