Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play Reversi

(1/3) > >>

Fishymuffin:
Hello, I'm a beginner at the game at Reversi, but I've decided that a fun way to learn it is to play a practice game with the forum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversi

Here's how it's going to go: I'm going to play a move as black, perhaps make a few unlearned comments, and you guys will do the same as white until the game is brought to a close. I will not use external resources or tools as I play, though I'm not very good.  It should still be quite fun. Especially if everybody, regardless of how they feel about their skill, would play too.

Current Board

Spoiler: Game Log (click to show/hide)1. c4 e3
2. f6 c6
3. e6
Spoiler: Board Setup (click to show/hide)
Basically the premise of the game is to end it with more discs than your opponent. Black moves first. Discs get turned to your opponent if they are caught between them. You must turn an enemy disc on your turn or be forced to pass. The red X's are valid places to move. It should be much clearer as the game proceeds.Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)
c4
Turn one doesn't matter and is functionally identical for black no matter where I play. The first meaningful move actually falls to you, white. I admit I know almost nothing about opening strategy. Before the game started I've tried to memorize some lines of (http://www.samsoft.org.uk/reversi/openings.htm) without understanding the thought behind them. Let's just get through this
Spoiler: Turn 2 (click to show/hide)e3

Spoiler: Turn 3 (click to show/hide)f6

I will definitely have more to say after the first few opening moves.
Spoiler: Turn 4 (click to show/hide)c6

Spoiler: Turn 5 (click to show/hide)e6

It is difficult to keep discs that have been captured  anywhere on the board but those anchored to corners. Corner discs can never be stolen, making them extremely valuable. They are the deciding points in the game. I find it in my best interests to infiltrate white's A8->H1 Diagonal to grant me some options for approaching the bottom left and top right. Of all my options to do so, c6 is the best, as it temporarily kills white's mobility on the right side of the board.

lawastooshort:
Ooh, I used to play this when I was little, it wasn't called reversi though and I don't really remember it very well.

I'd suggest E3.

warhammer651:
I second E3

Fishymuffin:
Spoiler: Turn 2 (click to show/hide)e3

Spoiler: Turn 3 (click to show/hide)f6

I will definitely have more to say after the first few opening moves.

Simmura McCrea:
b4 seems a good move.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version