Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 481770 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1980 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »

... you can let them cool a little, yes. Slicing in half and then eating the halves individually also make things easier, but it's not really necessary. It doesn't actually take very long before it's in non-scalding edible territory if it's not wrapped in tinfoil or whatever.

Fork, though... no. Too much effort, and entirely too inefficient. Just eat the thing, skin and all. Nothing left. Potatoes are finger food. Except the mashed ones, I guess. And they can be too, if you cook 'em right -- there's these awesome little... things... where you sorta' bake the outside so you have the delicious mashed core surrounded by tasty browned containment. Still need to get around to figuring out how to cook 'em, but they're really good. Also impeccable finger food.

E: Though I guess using a fork to section off bits and then spear those is okay. That silly scoop out the center stuff is just... no. I've never actually seen someone manage to eat the entire potato doing that. There's always so much left ;_;

How American culture has convinced people that's the right way to eat a baked potato in the face of it being one of the worst ways to eat a baked potato I will never know. The day I first picked up a baked potato and just ate it was the day I achieved a portion of enlightenment.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:59:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:42 pm »

High salt intake is linked to a number of illnesses, including heart disease and stomach cancers. Most people eat way over the recommended intake already, so basically it's not a good idea to create food that's any higher in salt than what we have now. So yeah, we want salt-tolerant crops, but in a way that separates the salty part from the edible part.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »

Nah Frump, I still eat the skin. What I do is use a fork to sorta section-out the insides of the potato for ease of spearing (and to allow fixings, if I'm using any, to get maximum coverage), and then when most of the innards are gone I roll the skin up a bit like a burrito and eat it as well. Not a single scrap of potato wasted.

And the "awesome little things" are what I call put-back potatoes. Scrap out the innards, mash em up, put them back into the skin. They're good.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:57 pm »

High salt intake is linked to a number of illnesses, including heart disease and stomach cancers. Most people eat way over the recommended intake already, so basically it's not a good idea to create food that's any higher in salt than what we have now. So yeah, we want salt-tolerant crops, but in a way that separates the salty part from the edible part.
I doubt that's an actual problem in the areas this stuff is initially intended to target. Push comes to shove, just... reduce salt intake elsewhere, not that low sodium is particularly good for us, either. I'd rather see 'em get it working before worrying about stuff that might kill people decades from now (as opposed to starvation and whatnot, which will kill them shortly).

And @Siru, good, good. You're on the right path. If you really want fixin's for finger-food style baked potatoes, chop it in half and the use a knife to cut little irrigation paths into each half, then dribble whatever you're adding into the tiny canals. Inundates the potato with flavor and still lets you forgo the fork.
Ask not!
Ask!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 20, 2014, 09:20:32 pm »

... Isn't that how you're supposed to eat a baked potato?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »

salt intake isn't actually a big problem most people eat about the normal level. the fda just sets salt intake to the minimum needed to survive to try to make people lower there intake. the normal healthy level is 3 grams*(of sodium) i think.

*im not good with units of measure so it might be the wrong one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:23:31 pm by redwallzyl »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 20, 2014, 09:25:02 pm »

Heh. I heard recently that our recommended salt intake is actually just as bad for our health as overindulging in salt. The apparent recommended amount should be, like, 2.5 grams a day or so, in terms of sodium.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »

... Isn't that how you're supposed to eat a baked potato?
You'd think, but I'm the only one in this area I've actually seen doing that. Usually they just kinda' cut it open -- not in half, just... open -- and kinda' mash up part of the inside and then stick stuff on it. Which leaves most of the potato untouched. And then they spend forever making what amounts to impromptu mashed potatoes inside a potato skin and frumple just gets sad.

Heh. I heard recently that our recommended salt intake is actually just as bad for our health as overindulging in salt. The apparent recommended amount should be, like, 2.5 grams a day or so, in terms of sodium.
Last time I paid attention, undershooting too much is actually somewhat worse than overindulging. Low sodium intake is apparently also pretty damn bad for you.

Know a lot of popular dietary stuff rides aiming for low salt really hard, though. Personally, I just try not to go too wild and... ignore most of that. I might listen to a well practiced dietitian, but recommended everything has fluctuated too damn much in my lifetime to give much of it any particular credence. Maybe another decade or two and some goddamn stability in recommendation, preferably coupled with a decoupling of dietary practices from modern media and advertising, and I'd be more willing to listen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:32:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:27 pm »

Made me remember this.
Mind you, I never actually read it myself.
But you know, ~relevant~

Also you people, baking entire potatoes...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »

Back to the point, the question I was replying to was basically "why don't we just eat kelp rather than screwing around with salt-tolerant varieties?"

The answer is the same reason we don't drink salt water. It dehydrates you, and you need to consume more fresh water to balance that out. I'm pretty sure the salinity of kelp is very close to that of sea water, which means you need to drink additional fresh water to level out the body flushing the salt out as urine.

So, if we mass produce salty crops then say "just consume more stuff that's not salty along with it" then that defeats the purpose, because the recipients will need to consume additional fresh water to compensate for the salty diet problem. And this will also put more strain on the already meager sewerage systems in those poor countries (people will pee more because of the salt, plus waste much more fresh water flushing the pee away).

So feeding people salty stuff would mostly defeat the purpose of using the salt water for crops in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:40:46 pm by Reelya »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:04:06 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 21, 2014, 10:41:55 am »

I don't actually like potatoes. Here's hoping that they'll invent salt water rice soon :P
(Seriously though, almost all rice is frigging delicious unless it's prepared abysmally)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

(Hence me never eating rice)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:07 am »

I don't actually like potatoes. Here's hoping that they'll invent salt water rice soon :P
(Seriously though, almost all rice is frigging delicious unless it's prepared abysmally)
Hint: You can combine the two.

Diced or mashed, either work. Stick it in rice, make yummy ricetato dish. Probably wouldn't suggest just shoving a whole potato into a bowl of rice, though.

Mind you, you can shove basically anything normally edible into rice and have it come out pretty well. And the other way around. It's a nice staple. Being able to get it out of salt contaminated ground would also be nice.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 339