Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482421 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2040 on: November 02, 2014, 07:28:57 pm »

dae le bieber deserves death xD

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 05, 2014, 03:09:29 am »

So they figured out the cause of the Virgin crash. According to footage and diagnostics, the co-pilot (the one who passed away) prematurely triggered the "feathering" system (where the wings tilt up to increase drag). This should have happened at a greater altitude with a thinner atmosphere, but because it happened relatively early on, the large drag forces caused severe mechanical failure.

Why said co-pilot triggered this is still very much unknown.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 05, 2014, 02:07:50 pm »

So they figured out the cause of the Virgin crash. According to footage and diagnostics, the co-pilot (the one who passed away) prematurely triggered the "feathering" system (where the wings tilt up to increase drag). This should have happened at a greater altitude with a thinner atmosphere, but because it happened relatively early on, the large drag forces caused severe mechanical failure.

And that's why a good modern spacecraft should have an automated orbit/deorbit sequence.

Or at least some idiot-proof protection.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »

Then again, the computer might make similar errors.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 05, 2014, 07:17:17 pm »

This was a highly trained pilot, so I'm not sure if idiot-proof is the word here. It could be that there was an error with altimeter etc. readings that deceived the pilot (and thus likely would have affected an automated system similarly). Either way, we should know more once the surviving pilot recovers a bit more.

In other news, researchers have clarified a link between the immune system and depression, by performing bone marrow transplants on mice, then locking them up with bullies.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 05, 2014, 08:01:36 pm »

Then again, the computer might make similar errors.
You can patch them though.

Patching humans tends to end up badly for all sides involved.
._.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 05, 2014, 10:57:04 pm »

No, read your articles more carefully. He unlocked the system. It should have been unlocked later in the flight, but regardless, it shouldn't have actually activated until a separate, untouched lever was pulled. It would have been a few minutes before it was supposed to actually trigger, as it was a descent mechanism, and they were just starting to accelerate and ascend. Totally a mechanical failure, since even a blind and deaf moron would know not to trigger it while the engine was still going, as that would cause the entire craft to flip around backwards at Mach 1 and disintegrate.

But yes, this craft really should be automatically (or at least remotely) piloted. Specifically because it is an experimental craft and these things do happen; it's much better to not have people inside when they do.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 06, 2014, 02:02:24 am »

Unlocking the system allowed aerodynamic forces to overcome the pneumatic actuators, resulting in feathering of the wings.

Don't think it's appropriate to classify that as a mechanical failure, as the system was never designed to sustain those forces.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2048 on: November 06, 2014, 07:31:02 am »

Audio headset for blind people. As far as I can tell, it uses 'beacons' placed around cities or wherever that link to a smartphone, and then generates sound pulses that appear to be from the direction of the beacons to guide you in the right direction. Pretty cool.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:17:12 am by Sergarr »
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2050 on: November 17, 2014, 06:18:08 am »

We live in the future. In the future, I say.

That is really awesome.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: November 17, 2014, 07:46:16 am »

The way it works is quite cool as well. A laser drawing on the sky using miniature plasma "explosions".

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 17, 2014, 07:58:01 am »

We live in the future. In the future, I say.
We entered the future in, like, 2006 or something. We just didn't notice at the time.

Edit: Link to the product page. Does anyone have an idea of how to make this multicolored? I'm thinking lasers of different wavelengths fired into a tank filled with various colorful compounds that absorb at different frequencies, but that would be hella complicated.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:01:22 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: November 17, 2014, 08:11:48 am »

The light generated depends on the emission spectra of the plasma. So yes, using different gasses which emit at different frequencies, as well as carefully tuned lasers might work.

Edit: Though you might be able to use certain gasses for more than one color, IIRC.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 17, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

It wouldn't really be screenless at that point though.

Regardless, displaying holograms by using lasers to explode the air is kind of badass.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 339