Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482982 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2850 on: March 24, 2015, 03:33:05 pm »

So apparently the CERN team found deviations in their measurements of the LHC accelerator (more accurately, measurements on the decay of B-mesons), that could imply the existance of not only another new particle, the Z'-particle, which would be about a 1000 times heavier than a proton, but could even imply the existance of another fundamental force of physics
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:35:08 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: March 24, 2015, 03:35:38 pm »

Here's the wikipedia article. I don't understand it.

Though apparently it's not an entirely new force so much as the unification of the electromagnetic and weak interactions?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »

So apparently the CERN team found deviations in their measurements of the LHC accelerator (more accurately, measurements on the decay of B-mesons), that could imply the existance of not only another new particle, the Z'-particle, which would be about a 1000 times heavier than a proton, but could even imply the existance of another fundamental force of physics

Sounds like early tentative evidence for a form of Supersymmetry to me.

Here's the wikipedia article. I don't understand it.

Though apparently it's not an entirely new force so much as the unification of the electromagnetic and weak interactions?

More or less. Think of them as Suppersymmetric particles that happen to unify the electro and weak interactions.
This is a blank sig.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: March 24, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »

Ooh, so we're narrowing down which models of reality that we have are the most accurate pretty efficiently right now.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: March 24, 2015, 03:49:27 pm »

Ooh, so we're narrowing down which models of reality that we have are the most accurate pretty efficiently right now.

Well, we are working out which ones are least wrong. The problem with Supersymmetry is that it at one and the same time both works, and is a total failure. We know it is wrong somewhere for some reason. It will be fun finding out where.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: March 24, 2015, 04:08:28 pm »

imply the existance of another fundamental force of physics
Well this certainly fucks up about 95% of existing theories about everything.

Yay!
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 24, 2015, 04:09:19 pm »

imply the existance of another fundamental force of physics
Well this certainly fucks up about 95% of existing theories about everything.

Yay!

not really though

the standard model doesn't take into account dark matter at all, AFAIK, unless of course dark matter happens to be some sort of weird neutrino

In fact, that would fuck up practically nothing, in much the same way discovering general relativity didn't fuck up the heliocentric model of the solar system.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:14:17 pm by Putnam »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 24, 2015, 04:13:29 pm »

not really though

the standard model doesn't take into account dark matter at all, AFAIK, unless of course dark matter happens to be some sort of weird neutrino
given that neutrino are so weird they mutate into each other through arcane magic, dark matter could certainly be a type of neutrino.
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 25, 2015, 07:48:02 am »

Recently found this site about how to easily visualize 4D objects. It's by far the most helpful site on the topic that I've found so far, so I figured I'd post it here for your entertainment.

Site (The other sections below the visualization one cover more specific 4D shapes as opposed to just how to read the projections).
I finally somewhat understand o-o

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:23 am »

Unification of weak and electro-weak could be interesting. It would suggest possible relations between other forces, perhaps even electromagnetic and other domains, which could have interesting technological ramifications.

(a conjured up example: Neutrino bombardment can speed up radio-decay of unstable atoms, but neutrino interaction rates are very low, because they have very low mass, and no charge. However, if they interact strongly with some other force carrier particle that also interacts with electromagnetism, we can corral, confine, and focus neutrinos using the proxy carrier particles. Likewise, we could have vastly improved detection equipment to measure neutrino counts. This would lead to much better particle physics equipment, and to a possible way to decontaminate reactor waste. Not saying such a particle exists, but supersymmetrical particles, if real, could offer such solutions at high energies.)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 25, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »

ptw

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 25, 2015, 02:40:32 pm »

._.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 25, 2015, 02:43:36 pm »

Carbon op

Adminllah pls nerf
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:44 pm »

Carborgs when?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: March 25, 2015, 02:57:05 pm »

Dunno about you guys, but I'm already 18% carbon.  Its pretty much as awesome as it sounds.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 339