Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482944 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2865 on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:27 pm »

Carborgs when?
More like androids... with DBZ-level durability (carbon stronger than steel) and reflexes.

I can only assume that in the future scientists will discover the way to use carbon to shoot frikking laser beams.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: March 25, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »

Carborgs when?
More like androids... with DBZ-level durability (carbon stronger than steel) and reflexes.

I can only assume that in the future scientists will discover the way to use carbon to shoot frikking laser beams.

Done it already here and here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:04:38 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2867 on: March 25, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: March 25, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »

Carborgs when?

Done it already here and here.
...Carbon is bullshit.

Does it have any weakness at all?
._.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: March 25, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »

Oxygen and a spark?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 25, 2015, 03:54:30 pm »

In fact, as I've recently learned, carbon by itself has the HIGHEST melting temperature out of ALL materials (even higher than tungsten!).
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 25, 2015, 03:57:57 pm »

Oxygen and a spark?
Diamonds can beat that. Need to heat them up quite a lot to get them to burn because of the bonds being so stable.
Not just diamonds - just look at your hand (although probably you, specifically, shouldn't, GO, if only because you have a flipper instead) - skin doesn't ignite - you get burns, but that's something qualitatively different from burning wood.

In fact, as I've recently learned, carbon by itself has the HIGHEST melting temperature out of ALL materials (even higher than tungsten!).
Melting =/= burning, though, of course.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 25, 2015, 04:06:45 pm »

Oxygen and a spark?
Diamonds can beat that. Need to heat them up quite a lot to get them to burn because of the bonds being so stable.
Not just diamonds - just look at your hand (although probably you, specifically, shouldn't, GO, if only because you have a flipper instead) - skin doesn't ignite - you get burns, but that's something qualitatively different from burning wood.

Melting =/= burning, though, of course.
Carbon burns because oxygen is hilariously overpowered. The only element stronger than oxygen is fluorine, and that element is so strong it never stays in it's pure form.

Well, then there's nitrogen, which is also hilariously overpowered, but in the opposite way (it's insanely chemically neutral and barely reacts with anything et all unless you use gigantic temperatures or cheat by using catalysts). But when you use it as a part of some other compound... it gets serious in its attempts to become a neutral gas SO MUCH that it BLOWS UP the molecule and then BLOWS UP everything around it.

Material science is fun.
._.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:00 pm »

Really the only big weaknesses with current carbon nanotubes are:
1) Difficult to manufacture.
2) Even small defects can cause serious issues in them, so your manufacturing tolerances need to be extremely tight.
3) It's really, really bad for you if you breathe them in. Like, one of the worst things for you to breathe in. Think like asbestos + coal dust fused into one unholy particle of lung destruction bad.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 25, 2015, 09:00:37 pm »

I'd imagine that breathing in carbon nanotubes is like breathing in diamond dust.

Yer gon' get fucked.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: March 25, 2015, 10:15:26 pm »

I never even thought of there being carbon nanotube dust when manufacturing them, I'm now horrified of them
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 25, 2015, 10:21:55 pm »

Really cryx, you just have to remember that rule 1 of material science is that if it's useful, there's some point in the manufacturing process that will royally mess your day up if you handle it wrong. This is more or less a unilateral truth -- somewhere in the process, something involved is thoroughly inimical to human life.

This is why we have safety standards. And robots. And I guess the underclass if you're being particularly dystopian that day.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 25, 2015, 11:07:08 pm »

Black lung disease for the win alex.

Ordinary soot (like the old 1900s industrial pollutant) contains a fairly significant number of carbon nanotubes, as well as other allotropes of carbon.
Such ordinary soot was one of the primary causes of black lung disease of urban dwellers in the 1900s.

The manufacture of nanotubes is not hard per se-- it is the creation of LONG, DEFECT-FREE, SINGLE WALL nanotubes that is hard. :)

I doubt that any other element will ever be found that is as versatile, and at such ideal balances of bond energy, bond angle, atomic weight (and thus commonality), and thermostability as carbon.

Sadly, many of those features are also what make carbon nanotubes so dangerous once in your lungs.  Your body simply has no mechanism to remove them, they are completely indigestible by your body, and it cant break them down to eliminate them. They are thin, lightweight, and very strong-- and so they disrupt cellular processes by mechanical agitation. (Like a stirring stick stuck in there churning things up.) Their chemical stability means you are going to denaturate the cell you are trying to help before you will denaturate the nanotube.  The best you could hope to do would be to create a specialized, heavy protein that can stick to the end of the nanotube where there could possibly (maybe) be some unfilled electrons, and then eliminate it that way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:13:26 pm by wierd »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 25, 2015, 11:27:43 pm »

Didn't that soot also have lead and mercury and other such things in it?

A bit coincidental we are talking about industry/soot. I have to write a short story for English where we are given three things to build our story around, I got a girl with a postcard collection, an orange, and steampunk. So I am writing about a schizophrenic princess who is locked away for safety and collects postcards because she can't go anywhere, she also starts talking to fruit (namely the orange) and I try to fill the setting with clock towers, steam powered things, and soot from the industrial cities.

Speaking of steampunk, is there any way to make a steam engine that is more efficient than a gas engine and is more enviromentaly friendly?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 25, 2015, 11:38:11 pm »

A better, more dark angle:

The girl is a ragpicker, who stumbles upon the post card, which features beautiful imagery of a far away place she could never hope to go to, along with the orange in a parcel addressed to a little sickly but rich girl her own age, who lives down the lane.

The postcard is a reply from her father, who is sending her the exotic fruit (the orange) along with his reply, as he is overseas on business. The subject matter of the postcard is about how he wishes he could help her more in seeing other children her own age, but he is afraid of her getting sick by leaving the house, and wishes for her to remain in the care of her stuardess/governess until his return.

The ragpicker girl wonders about meeting this mysterious girl, and is resolute in returning her letter to her, but must elude the stuardess/governess to do so. (Being a rag picker girl, she is considered street filth, unfit for association with higher society.)  The two meet, and become fast friends, each having something the other dreams of. (The rag picker girl can go ANYWHERE in the city, and be completely ignored-- and thus has complete freedom; the sickly rich girl has money, reliable food and housing, and "good breeding". (This IS steampunk setting, after all.)  They both have a natural dislike for the stuardess/governess.

I think that's a better story that could be done with those elements. ;P

The most efficient thermal engine is the stirling engine.  It is right next to the ideal maximum that a heat engine could ever possibly be due to the carnot efficiency limitation.

Many stirling engine designs look VERY steampunky.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:43:02 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 339