Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 483004 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3555 on: March 12, 2016, 07:42:37 am »

An interesting commentaries on the play of the machine:
It would appear that Alphago gets noticeably better between each match. Imagine if we had expert systems like that.
Maybe 25% chance1 that this means nothing:  (Happened to do better in second match than first?) * (Happened to do better in third match than second?)

1 Actually more complicated than that.  First match must not go so well that it's hard to do better later on, yet still win.  Second match must not go so well that the third match cannot get better yet, but be a better win than the first.  Third match just needs to be better than the second. - And that's assuming a constant human opposition!  But, for all we ordinary non-Go-playing mortals know, the first loss against the machine gave the machine the later 'psychological' advantage to exhibit bigger wins...  Or at least Lee tries bigger and bigger gambles of his own in an attempt to best the supposedly-unerring opponent.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: March 12, 2016, 07:52:12 am »

well. I just hope whatever job I find will last enough to get some savings before it goes obsolete to machines. Or that plans will be made to switch over to a jobless economy, but I'd rather have savings to tide me over during the transition.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: March 12, 2016, 07:57:45 am »

well. I just hope whatever job I find will last enough to get some savings before it goes obsolete to machines. Or that plans will be made to switch over to a jobless economy, but I'd rather have savings to tide me over during the transition.
Just go into Automation, itself, and then run to keep ahead of the game!
Spoiler: ObXKCD (click to show/hide)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: March 12, 2016, 08:07:56 am »

Automation of hard labour I can do ( mechanical engineer). Automation of engineering and research requires a whole education restructuring toward AI that may well take more than it takes to automate even that.

And the latter of the 2 alternatives, I really would rather avoid it.
And it wil likely face substantial automation anyway. It may be time to start rethinking society, since we are approaching the point in which humans can't contribute anything to humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: March 12, 2016, 08:22:44 am »

Have they sorted the old problem (over a decade old, so probably) whereby longer passwords were split and hashed separately, so you only need to brute force half-n-half?  (Rather than, you know, at least using the result of the low-order hash to salt the hashing of the higher-order one...  And there's better ways of doing that, even!)
To my knowledge, yes, they fixed that with Windows 7, but I could be misremembering. Either way, Microsoft's password security has historically been a fucking joke, yeah.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3560 on: March 12, 2016, 01:47:41 pm »

Automation of hard labour I can do ( mechanical engineer). Automation of engineering and research requires a whole education restructuring toward AI that may well take more than it takes to automate even that.

And the latter of the 2 alternatives, I really would rather avoid it.
And it wil likely face substantial automation anyway. It may be time to start rethinking society, since we are approaching the point in which humans can't contribute anything to humanity.
Well, at least there's the service industry. For now.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: March 13, 2016, 04:22:42 am »

Good news, to everyone who were panicking about lack of jobs - Lee won the fourth game against AlphaGo!
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: March 13, 2016, 04:26:40 am »

Good news everyone! Transmission of classical information at FTL speeds via entanglement is now totally a thing!

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/03/04/German-scientists-successfully-teleport-classical-information/8341457118688/?spt=su&or=btn_fb

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: March 13, 2016, 04:41:18 am »

That's physically impossible, though. FTL information signalling is completely and utterly impossible by all non-quack theories of physics.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: March 13, 2016, 04:50:50 am »

I agree that it needs to be independently verified/debunked.

If it really is a thing, then it means new physics, which is cool. If not, then understanding how it was a false positive is good for science. Either way, it is still a good thing.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: March 13, 2016, 06:27:13 am »

Or alternatively, it's a case of journalism misreport, and it's actually not FTL at all.
._.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: March 13, 2016, 06:37:47 am »

The wording seems vague: "immediately" and "without any loss of time". No actual mention of the scientists claiming this is faster-than-light. I'm thinking this is over-zealous reporting, and the teleported information is actually at light speed.

The main claim to fame here is actually that the information was transfered without any energy transfer - e.g. no electron/photon signal, so it's a quantum channel, not an FTL channel. The main improvement over previous quantum teleportation-based encryption is that the old versions need to have a classical signal going alongside the quantum information, whereas a 100% quantum signal is new.

It would still be faster than traditional optics however. Split second savings are only of real importance for currency and stock market traders right now, but they could be nice for secure channels and future computing devices too. The ideal thing would be that you could "chain" entanglement between devices over a network: e.g. rather than using bandwidth, the network would negotiate an entanglement between two nodes, then you'd be able to stream data straight from source -> dest without going through wires, or it would be so fast that nobody would bother downloading, since the server would just be linked to your client by entanglement, so there are no bottlenecks to deal with. Great for us, bad for intelligence operatives.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:48:55 am by Reelya »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: March 13, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »

Truth to be told, the whole quantum information concept is in its infancy and interpretation is an issue. There is solid evidence that one can not send a message with superluminous speed, and this quantum teleportation thing is no exception.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: March 13, 2016, 10:36:01 pm »

I'm studying for a career in biomedical engineer, computer science and robotics. I fully support our new machine overlords. Hopefully with said machine overlords being our uploaded minds.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: March 14, 2016, 02:54:40 am »

I'm building robots. I fully support becoming the overlord of a shit ton of machines.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 339