Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482438 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3570 on: March 14, 2016, 03:44:18 am »

I'm studying for a career in biomedical engineer, computer science and robotics. I fully support our new machine overlords. Hopefully with said machine overlords being our uploaded minds.

My problem with that is there's no way to prove that consciousness/identity remains continuous over the transfer. My problem with THAT problem is that there's no way to prove that consciousness/identity remains continuous while you're asleep, too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: March 14, 2016, 03:48:10 am »

I'm studying for a career in biomedical engineer, computer science and robotics. I fully support our new machine overlords. Hopefully with said machine overlords being our uploaded minds.

My problem with that is there's no way to prove that consciousness/identity remains continuous over the transfer. My problem with THAT problem is that there's no way to prove that consciousness/identity remains continuous while you're asleep, too.

I've had a head injury.

My conciousness/identity was not continuous.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: March 14, 2016, 03:51:24 am »

Frankly, there's no way to prove consciousness remains continuous from moment to moment. There is no way to even internally verify the subjective experience of consciousness if it is actually not truly continuous, but reconstructs itself from state to state at a speed higher than we can perceive.

Which is one of many reasons why questions of consciousness are doomed to collapse into solipsism and conjecture. This is not a problem that can be solved philosophically, except perhaps by backing the view that these questions should be rejected.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: March 14, 2016, 04:28:04 am »

Your state of being alert, and talking, can be temporarily disrupted with a large intracranial transducer. It distrupts the electrical activity inside your brain, without having to surgically fiddle about in there.  When they flip the switch on the paddle, you slow down, then shut off.

When they turn the paddle off, you pick right back up where you left off, and are unaware of any passage of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMR_T0mM7Pc

If they stimulate the right spots, you lose consciousness-- then wake right back up when it gets shut off.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: March 14, 2016, 04:35:29 am »

When they turn the paddle off, you pick right back up where you left off, and are unaware of any passage of time.
Or the "new you" that would normally start up and continue the work of the "old you", moment by moment, this time only picks up the work after an enforced pause (a longer gap between 'ticks' than normal), but still with the same prior history.

Simple continuity is a conjecture, albeit the simplest conjecture to go along with, so we might as well... ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: March 14, 2016, 04:42:14 am »

Frankly, there's no way to prove consciousness remains continuous from moment to moment. There is no way to even internally verify the subjective experience of consciousness if it is actually not truly continuous, but reconstructs itself from state to state at a speed higher than we can perceive.

This is... interesting. Actually, I've only heard similar from Eliezer Yudkowsky IIRC, he believes that the Eliezer Yudkowsky of 5 minutes ago is about as much as the Eliezer Yudkowsky of now as an Eliezer Yudkowsky 30 meters away would be the Eliezer Yudkowsky sitting where he is... eh, it was this video. Strange, when I think of it, since he also used continuity of consciousness as a plot point in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Then again, I might be interpreting his beliefs as the exact opposite of what they actually are (it's either that consciousness is consistent over both time and space instead of neither, basically not treating time as a priveleged dimension, which is way Yudkowsky, what with all the timeless physics and decision theory and all, though I don't remember if he's changed his mind about all that).

I have no opinion. I don't think free will's real. That's about as far as I go with all that. I'm not sure trying to figure out the nature of consciousness is very scientific at all if there's no way to test it whatsoever. It's also difficult to test what with ethics and such. Gaps in time seem to allow consciousness to "resume", but what exactly does that mean? Is time priveleged in that way? Etc.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 14, 2016, 07:52:13 am »

Even if I die, I would still be okay with having a more intelligent entity which can live indefinitely and possess the same memories and sense of identity as me living on. I mean, it'd be like going to sleep and waking up for it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:51 am »

This is... interesting. Actually, I've only heard similar from Eliezer Yudkowsky IIRC, he believes that the Eliezer Yudkowsky of 5 minutes ago is about as much as the Eliezer Yudkowsky of now as an Eliezer Yudkowsky 30 meters away would be the Eliezer Yudkowsky sitting where he is... eh, it was this video. Strange, when I think of it, since he also used continuity of consciousness as a plot point in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Then again, I might be interpreting his beliefs as the exact opposite of what they actually are (it's either that consciousness is consistent over both time and space instead of neither, basically not treating time as a priveleged dimension, which is way Yudkowsky, what with all the timeless physics and decision theory and all, though I don't remember if he's changed his mind about all that).
He is saying the opposite, Yudkowsky advocates Pattern Identity Theory, where your I-ness is not dependent on continuity at all, but a particular complex electrochemical pattern that makes up your mind, regardless of where in space and time it is or even if there are more than one at the same time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 14, 2016, 11:07:25 am »

Yeah, if we're bringing the "What is consciousness?" discussion over here as well as in the Technological Immortality thread, I'll say here, too, that arguing about what consciousness is tends not to be a debate over the nature of reality, but over the semantics of how we describe it. Experiments aren't relevant until you can work out a coherent hypothesis. Our language isn't really equipped to do that yet.

I'll also repeat my usual advice of finding definitions for words that describe reality, instead of finding words with definitions that describe reality. It's better to accept that temperature is really a measure of aggregate kinetic energy than to discard the word when you learn that heat isn't really a fluid or whatever. Or, in this case, it's better to accept that "free will" doesn't involve acausality or anything magical like that, and try to figure out what really does seem to distinguish between the behavior of a rock and a person when either rolls down a hill.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 14, 2016, 12:16:31 pm »

And only with that last post did I realize that this wasn't the Technological Immortality thread.

Isn't there any other science news to discuss without bringing it into multiple threads? :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 14, 2016, 05:42:03 pm »

Isn't there any other science news to discuss without bringing it into multiple threads? :P

The ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter being launched?  (Or should that be instead posted in the Space Thread?)

Edit: Or maybe a joke!
- I say I say I say, my dog's got two noses!
- How does he smell?
- Like a normal dog, presumably...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:48:23 pm by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 15, 2016, 05:51:30 am »

Researchers at Stanford University have been inspired by ants, and managed to make a team of 6 micro robots, whose combined weight is less than 100 grams, pull a car weighing 1750 kilograms. The robot's feet are covered with sticky nanotechnology inspired by gecko's toes.
They will present their findings at the international robotics conference in Stockholm, coming may.

https://youtu.be/wU8Q7gIdiMI
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »

I, for one, am not sure whether to be welcoming our new overlords as robotic or insect-like.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 17, 2016, 02:09:09 am »

Micro tug bots are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing those!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 19, 2016, 03:29:59 am »

Alright, I have a physics question that may be really dumb. Bear with me, it's been a long, long time since I knew anything about electricity or physics.

In zero gravity, a moving object will stay in motion until it's stopped or slowed by something else, correct? If you were to create a turbine in zero gravity, could you start it spinning very fast using an extremely small amount of thrust, then just let it keep moving on its own inertia until it needs another little bit of thrust to counteract the friction from the brushes?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 339