Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482283 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3660 on: April 30, 2016, 09:46:32 am »

I do find the prospect of a gravity laser quite attractive.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:08 am »

I do find the prospect of a gravity laser quite attractive.
Are you saying it draws you in?
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: May 01, 2016, 07:09:28 am »

Guys, come on, the gravity of this situation means we really shouldn't be punning.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:18 am »

Guys, come on, the gravity of this situation means we really shouldn't be punning.
It's true that we have relatively little space or time for this warped sense of humour, generally speaking.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:03 pm »

Stop, guys. You're going to end up in a black hole of puns, and then the three won't ever escape the pun horizon.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: May 06, 2016, 04:28:00 pm »

Stop hawking that theory, black holes go poof eventually.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: May 06, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »

It's a very big poof, though. So big, I don't think you quite understand the gravity of one of those poofs.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: May 07, 2016, 03:30:58 am »

To get us away from our critical mass of puns, it must be said that black holes go poof very, very slowly, unless they're very small, in which case they rapidly convert their mass to radiation, I.E, become nuclear fireballs.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: May 07, 2016, 11:13:18 pm »

Why wait for a black hole to explode, when you can build a fusion reactor and simply fuse a bunch of uranium and then build a massive nuclear bomb? Then we can see a nuclear fireball, except this one is controlled and less likely to kill us all at once :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: May 07, 2016, 11:53:53 pm »

build a fusion reactor and simply fuse a bunch of uranium and then build a massive nuclear bomb?

wut
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: May 08, 2016, 11:13:55 pm »

Hrm, I was going to post this in the Transhumanism thread, but it looks like it hasn't been used in over a year, and I couldn't find a more suitable thread...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/03/cryonics.html

An interesting analysis of Cyronics by a guy who started not knowing much about it.  (Disclaimer; I've been signed up for it for a while now).

Also interesting is his ridiculous amount of words written about Tesla & SpaceX, which is a fun read (part 1 of 4):  http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: May 09, 2016, 01:06:52 am »

Why wait for a black hole to explode, when you can build a fusion reactor and simply fuse a bunch of uranium and then build a massive nuclear bomb? Then we can see a nuclear fireball, except this one is controlled and less likely to kill us all at once :P

not sure if joke

But in all seriousness, heavy elements actually consume energy when they fuse. That's what kills stars.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: May 09, 2016, 02:13:37 am »

not sure if joke

But in all seriousness, heavy elements actually consume energy when they fuse. That's what kills stars.
If both serious and knowledgable,  I was assuming the creation of something 184Uoq-ish, by endoenergetic fusion, hopefully not landing on an Island Of Stability and getting a very unstable atom practically a.critical mass in practically homeopathic concentrations and amounts... ;)

(But I didn't feel the need to demonstrate my benefit of the doubt, at the time...)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: May 09, 2016, 02:14:53 am »

Ah. See, that makes more sense.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: May 09, 2016, 06:50:39 am »

Maybe it was related to this:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.02762
Full text:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.02762.pdf
I found it via searching for "graviton laser", since "gravity laser" gave back too many irrelevant hits.

Therefore the denominator in Eqn.(22) can in principle be made arbitrarily small, giving a corresponding enhancement of the probability of spontaneous emission. In general, for levels separated by gravitons of energies in the deep infrared limit, there is no suppression.
Observing and controlling stimulated amplification of gravitons would be of unimaginable importance.
So ...holy shit, Baxter was right, Starbreakers would glow a deep cherry red?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 339