Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 477431 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3825 on: June 02, 2016, 11:55:23 am »

Actually, you're right, I misremembered what I read about it. Sorry about that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:34 pm »

I kind of want to go smear this in a certain set of people's faces, because they're always talking about how mankind is incredibly inefficient and wasteful and that we're the scourge of the Earth, but they'd probably go into some long rant I don't want to hear :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 03, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »

ever been to a garbage dump?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 03, 2016, 02:06:44 pm »

Humans are pretty good at recycling when they bother, nature can take billions of years to recycle stuff.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3830 on: June 03, 2016, 03:40:15 pm »

Humans are pretty good at recycling when they bother, nature can take billions of years to recycle stuff.
One could say that garbage dumps are just repositories for things we'll have to recycle later but aren't currently economically feasible. I mean its not like we think all that plastic and glass is just going to go away.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 03, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »

... uh. Isn't some huge chunk of the problems we're having dealing with that sort of stuff more or less precisely because many people think all that plastic and glass and whatnot does just go away?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 03, 2016, 04:11:55 pm »

... uh. Isn't some huge chunk of the problems we're having dealing with that sort of stuff more or less precisely because many people think all that plastic and glass and whatnot does just go away?
Case in point?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 04, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0603/Bionic-leaf-converts-energy-from-the-sun-better-than-nature-does

Awesome, Microbial reactors! About time we starred industrializing biotics for things other than pharmacy.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: June 04, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »

But "Binet" never claimed that his test "measured intelligence". That's a myth.

Binet took the French school syllabus and arranged questions from various years. The goal was to estimate what school level children were at. The original Binet score increases as you got older, because you learned more stuff and could complete more of the test. Binet in particular never claimed the test was measuring anything innate about you. The entire point was to pinpoint students who were falling behind so that they could receive extra tuition, so Binet understood that the test was merely reflecting your skills at that moment in time, and that ability is a fluid thing that can be cultivated.

Later, some guy decided to divide your Binet score by your age (the "quotient" part) and sold it as an "intelligence test", with the claim that it predicted some innate quality of a person. This was completely contradictory to what Binet himself designed the test for: which was to pinpoint who needed help. Merely taking the formula: "take your score on this arbitrary maths quiz, then divide by your age" is not a convincing basis for "measuring intelligence".

By dividing your Binet score by your age, then interpreting the result as "innate intelligence" it resulted in the weak being reassigned to the dustbin, rather than getting the academic help that Binet had intended the test for. It also had the unfortunate effect that people older than 20 appeared to "regress" into stupidity, even if their test scores were actually much higher than a young person, due to the "divide by age" part of the IQ score. Binet had not intended the test to be used past school age.

It was bullshit plain and simple, basically. Ever since then, they've been rigorously polishing the turd to make it shinier.
After all of the response to my starter, a lot of them had made logical sense. The whole 'mental state' thing I had described means any amount of imbalances of chemicals and neurotransmitters in my brain could have been happening at that time, so the entire facet of the test Reelya described if I understand it correctly is that, if it could be applied to my scenario I described, it merely was a result of my psychological state at that time, which was very temporary, and years ago. Maybe the mental state resulted in me having the ability(if, for however long, temporarily), which just like Binet(supposedly) described was variable and could be changed or cultivated. Thank you everyone for participating in that conversation. :). It was something I could never really even remotely understand, and neither could anyone else.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 04, 2016, 10:30:39 pm »

Whatever did happen with negative temperatures?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: June 04, 2016, 11:15:57 pm »

How do you mean?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3837 on: June 04, 2016, 11:23:20 pm »

It's all about negative negative temperatures, be stiller than stationary, cooler than supercooled

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:17 am »

Whatever did happen with negative temperatures?
The more people talked about it the less entropic it became, then it got so stable nobody even notices it anymore.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 339