Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 483126 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3885 on: June 20, 2016, 11:10:03 pm »

Not really. You can send intelligible messages, but mind control is not possible.
Using microwaves to communicate in this manner is potentially dangerous for the receiver if you don't carefully control the microwave energy and exposure time, and it is an invasion of privacy on a fundamental level. Do not do it.
I'm hearing lots of reasons to try it
  • Potentially dangerous
You can cause brain damage with the level of microwaves needed to perfectly simulate speech.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: June 21, 2016, 12:58:14 am »

Not really. You can send intelligible messages, but mind control is not possible.
Using microwaves to communicate in this manner is potentially dangerous for the receiver if you don't carefully control the microwave energy and exposure time, and it is an invasion of privacy on a fundamental level. Do not do it.
I'm hearing lots of reasons to try it
  • Potentially dangerous
You can cause brain damage with the level of microwaves needed to perfectly simulate speech.
Shit man, why are you trying to convince us more? We're already sold on the idea*!
*We're just joking around, no-one here would actually do something like that.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: June 21, 2016, 01:01:05 am »

Shit, I have two microwaves and a brain I barely use anyway, I smell a new YouTube series in the making. Actually I have a feeling I'll be smelling all kinds of strange and unusual things soon.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3888 on: June 21, 2016, 11:08:24 am »

Shit, I have two microwaves and a brain I barely use anyway, I smell a new YouTube series in the making. Actually I have a feeling I'll be smelling all kinds of strange and unusual things soon.
Hear any vuvuzela messages?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:59 am »

I don't.  I just get this persuasive, sepulcheral voice insistently telling me to not stab people, all the time...  My doctor's refusing to prescribe anything.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:08 pm »

I don't.  I just get this persuasive, sepulcheral voice insistently telling me to not stab people, all the time...  My doctor's refusing to prescribe anything.

Under no circumstances should you become a surgeon, medieval soldier, or coroner.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: June 21, 2016, 04:00:25 pm »

This reminds me of a quote from the Suicide Squad Trailer

Harley Quinn: "The voices in my head are telling me to kill everyone here."
Military Dudes/Redshirts: "…"
HQ: "Just Kidding! Thats not what they said!"
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3892 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »

On that note, who here would be willing to give up their individuality in exchange for becoming one with a vuvuzela hive mind that inhibits murderous tendencies against the greater self

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: June 21, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »

I rather like my murderous tendencies, even though they can't be realized.

Most of the time, at least.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: June 21, 2016, 04:11:24 pm »

Im already possessed by an Elder God, so sorry, I'm out.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: June 21, 2016, 04:56:10 pm »

On that note, who here would be willing to give up their individuality in exchange for becoming one with a vuvuzela hive mind that inhibits murderous tendencies against the greater self
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #3896 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:11 am »

There are many problems with that idea, guys. First of all, E=MC2. Energy is mass times the speed of light squared. More to the point, energy is mass. You can't have energy without mass, except for apparently photons. If this were possible, anyway, the items in question would be useless. With no inertia, simply touching one would send it off at literally infinite speeds. Acceleration is equal to force divided by mass... which is zero in this case. If it took up volume and not space, it wouldn't be effected by gravity, and you'd have a hell of a time trying to keep it in one place. Low mass might be cool, but no mass brings a whole world of problems.
+1.

The only reason they are saying light has no mass because of some theories on time travel/4th dimension of some kind. On the other hand, we have solid proof that particles of light have inertia and the speed of natural light is finite. It behaves like normal matter in every conceivable way (albeit rather extremely) until they tried to add a 4th dimension or time travel to the mix, neither of which has hard proof. Given this, I see no reason why faster than light travel is not possible. Granted, that would take massive amounts of energy, but possible nonetheless. Also, infinity cannot be treated like a number, so string theory is also bull shit. There is no evidence of black holes being infinitely small (in fact, they actually grow as they absorb more stuff). And our measurements are not nearly, even remotely accurate enough to trace all observable matter in the universe, let alone the stuff beyond what our telescopes can see, back to an Infinitesimally small point. A relatively small area, I could buy, but this is just stupid.

Ok, I'm done ranting. For now.

Granted, that would take massive amounts of energy, but possible nonetheless.
An infinite amount of energy, in fact.  Hence it's impossible.
You are either assuming that light has no mass or that light is infinitely fast. I was specifically challenging both of those points. Your argument is invalid because your assumption is the heart of the dispute. It would be more logical to talk about why your assumption is right and mine is wrong, not what each would entail if it were true. It's like saying "God exists because the bible says he does!".

cause > effect, not the other way around.

Could someone provide a link to the experiments?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #3897 on: June 22, 2016, 02:14:05 am »

I have no idea how I haven't noticed that error earlier (probably because of all the surrounding "lol light totally has mass guyz" debate), but:
There are many problems with that idea, guys. First of all, E=MC2. Energy is mass times the speed of light squared. More to the point, energy is mass. You can't have energy without mass, except for apparently photons. If this were possible, anyway, the items in question would be useless. With no inertia, simply touching one would send it off at literally infinite speeds. Acceleration is equal to force divided by mass... which is zero in this case. If it took up volume and not space, it wouldn't be effected by gravity, and you'd have a hell of a time trying to keep it in one place. Low mass might be cool, but no mass brings a whole world of problems.
lol that's wrong, actually E=sqrt((MC2)2+(PC)2), where P = particle's impulse, M - rest mass, E - energy, C - speed of light. That's a formula you get almost straight out of Lorentz transformations btw, so it's pretty goddamned solid.

._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: June 22, 2016, 02:53:20 am »

Yeah, I think there is confusion between mass and rest mass. Rest mass is the mass you'd have if you weren't moving (and is equal to zero for photons). Now, when you're moving, you have energy, and energy is mass, so you're heavier. Since photons are always moving they have mass even though their rest mass is zero. Otherwise black holes wouldn't be a thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: June 22, 2016, 02:56:48 am »

"Rest mass" and "relativistic mass" are really stupid terms and just create confusion that leads to people saying dumb things like "light has mass".

"Rest mass" is mass. Invariant mass is something that certain particles have. Photons have none.

Gravity is caused by energy, not mass. That's basically all that needs to be said on that matter, it solves most problems people seem to have for some reason with light not having mass.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 339