Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 483174 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3900 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:02 am »

Gravity is caused by energy, not mass

E=MC2

Something something energy is mass something. [/troll]

Anyway, it doesn't matter, because light is waves and waves are mass-less. Thus, light moves at the fastest possible in a vacuum and is impossible for something with mass to move faster than something without mass(in a vacuum; chernov radiation is fucking amazing).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: June 22, 2016, 03:17:35 am »

Anyway, it doesn't matter, because light is waves and waves are mass-less.

That's actually not correct either. Light shows wave/particle duality about as much as most fundamental things.

In fact, the only thing that can really be said as to why is that "gauge bosons that do not interact with the higgs mechanism do not have mass", which light (and gluons) count as.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

I could've sworn I've seen this conversation 20 pages earlier...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE and the Higgs!
« Reply #3903 on: June 22, 2016, 09:40:35 am »

lol that's wrong, actually E=sqrt((MC2)2+(PC)2), where P = particle's impulse, M - rest mass, E - energy, C - speed of light. That's a formula you get almost straight out of Lorentz transformations btw, so it's pretty goddamned solid.

I'm too tired to figure out what the Particle's impulse actually means. Is it essentially the same as the momentum of the particle or is there a difference?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:02 am »

The hivemind communicates to me through Cherenkov radiation, which tastes like strawberries actually.
Btw through experimentation I have conclusive proof that the hivemind has granted me the power of levitation. However your puny earth science is not equipped to measure the forces involved, something about "no change in velocity outside of the measurable resolution of instrumentation used".
I could've sworn I've seen this conversation 20 pages earlier...
The topic got quantum entangled and passed through time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:46:57 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:07 am »

lol that's wrong, actually E=sqrt((MC2)2+(PC)2), where P = particle's impulse, M - rest mass, E - energy, C - speed of light. That's a formula you get almost straight out of Lorentz transformations btw, so it's pretty goddamned solid.

I'm too tired to figure out what the Particle's impulse actually means. Is it essentially the same as the momentum of the particle or is there a difference?
Momentum is a property of a system. By applying an unbalanced force you change the momentum.
Impulse is the integral of the applied force over time. I.e., it's the measure of the change of momentum.
Both impulse and momentum have the same unit measure.
It's the same type of relation as between energy(=~ momentum) and work (=~ impulse).

That said, I'm not sure why Sergarr said impulse there - it should be momentum as the equation describes energy content, not how it changes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:40 am »

Is impulse to momentum how acceleration is to velocity?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:09 am »

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. The rate of change of momentum is force.

As was said, impulse is to momentum like work is to energy.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »

SEMANTICS, Light's relative mass, and the whole QUANTUM PHYSICS
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:28 pm »

Momentum is a property of a system. By applying an unbalanced force you change the momentum.
Impulse is the integral of the applied force over time. I.e., it's the measure of the change of momentum.
Both impulse and momentum have the same unit measure.
It's the same type of relation as between energy(=~ momentum) and work (=~ impulse).

That said, I'm not sure why Sergarr said impulse there - it should be momentum as the equation describes energy content, not how it changes.
That's because in Russian language, the word for "momentum" is literally "impulse" :-X

yes I meant momentum here
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: June 24, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »

That's because in Russian language, the word for "momentum" is literally "impulse" :-X

yes I meant momentum here
In glorious Soviet Russia, you do not impart momentum,  momentum imparts you!

(Also reminds me of "water sheep", as seen used in engineering projects.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: June 26, 2016, 09:13:37 am »

Speaking of Russia, President Putin has plans to make Star Trek real. According to the Russian newspaper Kommersant, the Russian government wants to spend multiple billions on a research program that will not only result in the development of a 'patriotic' programming language, but by 2035, is also meant to provide a functional teleportation system.

The newspaper cites Aleksandr Galitski, from Almaz Capital, an investman firm that mostly invests in the technology sector: "About the teleportation; it might seem fantasy at this moment, but at Stanford, there has already been a succesful experiment which teleported molecules over a small distance."

Scientists at the university of Delft succeeded last year in teleporting information carrying particles over a distance of 1.3 kilometers. This technology could be used in the future to send data that cannot be hacked.

Russian scientist are also operating in that field. But insofar, the announcement of the project mostly met with mocking tweets from Russians.
"37 million Russians still have a toilet cabin out in the backyard. And the government wants to spend 10 billion rubles on teleportation?"

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/-rusland-investeert-miljarden-in-teleportatiesysteem~a4326883/

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:06 am »

They should hire Dahir Insaat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3913 on: June 26, 2016, 09:22:26 am »

Still better than Putin's science project to make anime real

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: June 26, 2016, 09:36:21 am »

'patriotic' programming language
We already have one, it's called 1C. It's exactly as horrible as you'd imagine a programming language where literally every command word from English is replaced with its direct translation into Russian would be.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 339