Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490085 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3930 on: June 28, 2016, 08:52:49 am »

The original example given was a superhuman AI pilot for military aircraft. Maybe it's because I live closer to Russia than mmost 'murricans, but that does sound like a useful advance to me.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: June 28, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

More important question, when can we apply this AI tech to Hearts of Iron 4 to make the AI not suck?

In other words, how far away are commercial/practical applications?
Poke Toady, and see if he can't make use of it in DF..?

"Losing Is Fun Immediate!"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:18 pm »

Peasant cancels haul object: found a more efficient method.
Then it goes on to build a complex set of carts that automatically haul objects around the fort :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3933 on: June 28, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

Honestly I just want a little buddy version that plays co-op games with me.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3934 on: June 28, 2016, 02:44:33 pm »

*Aimbot has joined the party*.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:22 pm »

I mean, it's not like I support farther weapons development or anything, but a superhuman AI fighter jet pilot just sounds awesome.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: June 29, 2016, 12:23:22 pm »

*Aimbot has joined the party*.
It's not a problem if it's on your side!

Besides, it's pretty easy to make it realistically unaccurate - just feed low-resolution targeting information into its inputs.
._.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: June 29, 2016, 09:38:44 pm »

hahahahahahaahaaaaa

no no it is not, Russian language is extremely badly suited for programming purposes, no one actually tries to teach 1C as far as I've seen anywhere outside of courses heavily specialized in programming.

What?  I mean, like, maybe if there's encoding problems? But i don't think that's an actual issue. No written langauge is any better for coding than any other, it's a bit ridiculous to claim otherwise.
Not true. "Encoding issues" are practically built into all but the highest level languages. Only in the past like decade or so have compilers really had decent unicode support. Even today, a lot of software is English-centric, and gets confused by unicode characters.

And Allah help you if you decide to code in Arabic, where the text goes right to left but the programming language goes left to right. Seriously, go to the arabic BBC page, then copy-paste some arabic to use as variable names in Visual Studio C++ and see what happens. Fun fact: One of several things will happen, and it varies based on what service packs you have installed for Visual Studio. Things like the watch window can show   ]arabicstring0] for arabicstring[0].

I spent quite a good deal of time at work getting most unicode supported nicely in our projects, and for arabic our response was just 'nah.'

Beyond mere 'encoding issues' there is the entire programming ecosystem. Documentation is largely in english; programming language syntax is designed in english (std::multimap is still std::multimap regardless of how you named your variables in portugese), websites like msdn or stackoverflow are much more complete in english. These things aren't generally intrinsic to the spoken languages' qualities, but are due to the fact that english programming has a very powerful inertia behind it. As a result, english is very much the language of choice for programmers, regardless of native language.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: June 30, 2016, 02:30:06 am »

I know people who ernestly believe that programming languages based on sanskrit both exist, and produce no bugs.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:11 am »

I know people who ernestly believe that programming languages based on sanskrit both exist, and produce no bugs.

One or the other is true though - either they exist or they have produced exactly 0 bugs.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: June 30, 2016, 11:44:31 am »

I think it results from a certain paper that sugested the idea, and then it got picked up by crazy hindu media outlets or something. Also, is sanskrit as a language even fully codified? I mean, are there sanskrit dictionaries out there or something :V?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: June 30, 2016, 11:45:10 am »

Yes, there is.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »

I don't know much about Sanskrit, but isn't it basically hyperlatin? It's more obscure, older, less used and harder :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 339