Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 482807 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #675 on: July 23, 2013, 04:01:42 am »

Goddamn I hate paywalls. Most of the big stuff I need for my articles is accessible through my uni or my work, but if you want conference proceedings? Or some obscure german journal from the 20's? Square out of luck.

That Upsalite stuff is pretty cool... maybe we can finally have dessicator boxes that actually stay dessicated!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 25, 2013, 05:38:53 am »

There doesn't seem to be much published on the topic, but a two year old PhD thesis covers what appears to be the early work on this and suggests it's more than possible the claim is true. Or at least partially true.

You're looking in the wrong places then. The amount of research being conducted on organic electronics (the largest subclass of printable electronics) is absolutely massive, with the main journal being Advanced functional materials. Other influential journals that often have papers related to organic electronics are, among others, JACS, Advanced materials, Physical review B and Nature materials.

Also, while the group you linked to is the only one I know of that is seriously working on printing transistors that small, there are several research groups working on the printing of solar cells, such as Flexible electronics group of CSIRO Australia in Melbourne and the Holst Centre (also works on printable LEDs and sensors) in Eindhoven,
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:48:54 am by Virex »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:20 am »

Printable electronics research is one thing. This particular angle is unique as far as I can tell, and not particularly well publicised. Getting details on a particular advance is very different from getting a background on an entire field.

Not to mention that I don't have access to Advanced Materials or any of the other journals right now. I can usually turn up a given paper in a few minutes, but general background searches get considerably harder when there aren't publicly visible reviews and citations.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:08 am »

I guess most of you know it already, but typing "filetype:pdf "ArticleName" " on Google sometime works for paper you don't have access to.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 26, 2013, 09:05:07 am »

I'm sure you all know about this, and for those who don't. It's on the decline of bees, by the way.

The video claims (probably quite reliably) that neonicotinoids, a form of nicotine derived pesticides, are prime offenders, alongside a host of other environmental factors which I'm sure you can all think of. The decline figures are said to be as follows (with a link to the approval of said pesticides): "Beekeepers used to report average losses in their worker bees of about 5-10% a year, but starting around 2006, that rate jumped to about 30%. Today, many large beekeeping operations are reporting that up to 40 or 50 percent of their swarms have mysteriously disappeared." Europe has recently banned them, and whilst I'm certain there are hosts of articles on the subject it does beggar belief that they were approved in the first place.  On a scale of planned for to girding down for the apocalypse how fucked are we*?

*Only one batman joke allowed.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 26, 2013, 09:13:34 am »

Pesticides are tested on bees, and neonicotinoids, on their own, aren't enough to kill healthy swarm. The idea is that they weaken swarm that can then be killed by any other number of factors.

By the way, the EU did not ban those pesticides. It imposed a 2-year moratorium, which is a joke as those pesticides stay longer than that in the environment: in two years time the agrotech companies will be able to say "See? the bees keep dying, it wasn't our fault" and continue selling their crap.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:48 am »

I've read recently that they are considering replacing them with Blue Orchard Bees, but I can't attest that they would be any better off in regards to pesticides.

In the end, I've done a bit of reading, and the arguments on both sides reek of politics. Then again, what doesn't these days?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:39 am »

Yeah... that came up on the forum a while back, with a minor(? Memory's fuzzy.) connection to Monsanto the Legitimately Evil. As for the scale of fucked, consensus at the last discussion was "utterly", because some ridiculous proportion of the biosphere relies on bees for propagation. As bees go, so does the living ecosystem, apparently. So we've got good odds at seeing a near total ecological meltdown, fairly soon. One more for the pile, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »

Two things from Science Magazine, a journal i was previously unaware of but seems to warrant discussion in nature as the link shows. Firstly, we have apparently successful experiments creating false memories in mice. Here is the Science link, and here is a BBC article. Secondly, two distinct giant viruses achingly nicknamed Pandoraviruses have been discovered, certainly containing many previously undocumented genes and possibly indicating new forms of life, with a article from The Scientist, the paper published in Science and the discussion in Naturethe discussion in Nature.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:48:19 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 29, 2013, 07:18:04 pm »

I've also read about the "false memories in mice" thing, and I am not impressed. It looks much closer to classical conditioning, except they are poking the brain directly instead of indirectly through the external sensory organs.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:29 am »

In the end, I've done a bit of reading, and the arguments on both sides reek of politics. Then again, what doesn't these days?

Politics doesn't. It reeks of mud and bullshit.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 30, 2013, 11:14:04 am »

http://www.gizmag.com/n-fix-nitrogen-fixation/28482/

Kinda neat.  Apparently they've come up with a bacteria that can be put into plants to make it so they absorb nitrogen directly from the atmosphere.  This means they don't need nearly as much fertilizer.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #687 on: July 30, 2013, 06:34:57 pm »

http://www.gizmag.com/n-fix-nitrogen-fixation/28482/

Kinda neat.  Apparently they've come up with a bacteria that can be put into plants to make it so they absorb nitrogen directly from the atmosphere.  This means they don't need nearly as much fertilizer.
My mind is blown and I hope this is as true as turnips, this could be Mankind's lifeline to ensuring a population collapse does not happen at all.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:57 pm »

It's interesting, but it's bound to get the same flak as fertilizer. Instead of "contaminating the water supply" it will be "tampering with the atmosphere".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #689 on: July 30, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »

It's interesting, but it's bound to get the same flak as fertilizer. Instead of "contaminating the water supply" it will be "tampering with the atmosphere".
Ha ha what? Over three quarters of our atmosphere is nitrogen. The contamination part is insignificant compared to the issue of where we get the fertilizer from. No reliance on methane or oil means that any collapse in oil supply won't screw over the modern world, which is only possible due to the British agricultural revolution and the green revolution. This could be one more of those revolutions. High hopes. It also won't screw with the soil quality either, since most of the nitrogen will come from the air. With a bit of tampering, I reckon they could even make plants other than legumes be nitrogen fixing in the soil! Humanity won't collapse just yet. It also helps reduce our impact on the ecological world. There is NO way playing God can never end with Godly results.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 339