Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490638 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2013, 12:12:36 pm »

The frequency of the "Wow!" signal suggests in some way that hydrogen resosnace was involved in its production. The frequency is off limits for broadcasts, but knowing militaries like I think I do means they probably dont follow the guidelines.

As for detecting signals between 2 terrestrial planets - forget it. Not until our technology is a few generations more advanced. We can only infer the presence of the planets after all.
This is a blank sig.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 28, 2013, 01:18:30 pm »

All we have to do is listen for any stray EM signals from the planets.

Yeeesss.... but there is a big difference between stray EM and communications between 2 planets. As in, the difference between the Simpsons episodes we beam into local space, and the data stream between Earth and the Mars rovers.
This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2013, 10:04:57 am »

Read these, and reconsider a future career well away from chemistry.

(Highlights include FOOF, which explodes violently at 180 C below zero, and thioacetanol, 1 drop of which will produce a detectable [and vile] stench within seconds, a quarter of a mile away)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:09:20 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2013, 10:24:48 am »

(Highlights include FOOF, which explodes violently at 180 C below zero, and thioacetanol, 1 drop of which will produce a detectable [and vile] stench within seconds, a quarter of a mile away)
Ah yes.  Lovely series.  Especially the one where you must stir while mixing, or else the apparatus is likely to be explosively destroyed thereafter...  And the one which isn't safe to use in a standard Raman spectrometer.  And now there's a new one up on Dimethylcadmium, oh joy!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:05 pm »

Ah yes.  Lovely series.  Especially the one where you must stir while mixing, or else the apparatus is likely to be explosively destroyed thereafter...  And the one which isn't safe to use in a standard Raman spectrometer.  And now there's a new one up on Dimethylcadmium, oh joy!
I remember stumbling across that article a couple of years ago. Good reading. I think that's a repost.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

You're rehabilitating me in the Amazon? NO I'VE LOST MY FORCE POWERS oh hey a village.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:26 am »

Heating you say? How about a crocodile pit, with heating and MAGMA! Ah, a renaissance in the security industry. You used to line your heads in tinfoil, now line your homes! The possibilities are endless.
Reading a thinner book

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:41 am »

Someone should mod FOOF and all other chemicals on that page in DF.
And then proceed to create them all. Simultaneously.
._.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 06, 2013, 05:12:17 am »

Okay, that Wisee thing is way cool. Given tracking multiple people is just a function of signal processing, I can honestly see some very cool things arising from that in the next coupe of decades.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 06, 2013, 06:37:15 am »

Okay, that Wisee thing is way cool. Given tracking multiple people is just a function of signal processing, I can honestly see some very cool things arising from that in the next coupe of decades.

It seems very scalable. Increasing resolution, range or ability to track more people should just be a matter of adding more transmitters and/or receivers.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:04 am »

Wisee not only does sound like an orwellian, Big Brother oppresive government-style control tool, it actually is a perfectly serviceable one.
Quote from: Wiknow
<Citizen #92341, you have been unproductively masturbating five minutes longer than your daily quota allowes. Proceed to the reeducation centre.>
<contemptuous hand gestures incur penalty of: Five days of hard labour>

You know it's going to happen. If your government won't abuse it, then your mother will.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:57 am »

Just buy an old microwave. Great for jamming wifi channels.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 339