Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 477352 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2011 on: October 27, 2014, 08:34:47 am »

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/22292/1/sci-fi-film-interstellar-leads-to-new-scientific-discovery

It's so magnificent.
Never really thought about it that way, but it seems to make sense. Black holes spin and have magnetic poles, so an accretion disc of some sort should be present.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:10 am »

The universe's power button.

I hope no one holds one down for a few seconds :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:07 am »

I could go full Star Child staring at that thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: October 27, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »

Oh god. We're going to have to go back to using metal and shit for things we don't want rotting away. I should look into which ones are likely to see more frequent use, but it'll be nice for disposable things to be actually disposed of.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 27, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »

Yuck. Depending on how efficient the fungus is we might start to see plastic breaking down everywhere, which while it will be awesome for the environment, will be substantially less awesome for things we *don't* want to break down.
Although from the fact that it hasn't already spread and eaten all our plastic we probably don't really have anything to worry about.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 27, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »

oh no fungus got into my game console fuck.

Oh there goes my cheap laptop. How did it get into my phone.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: October 27, 2014, 12:48:01 pm »

You guys are overreacting. When have you ever seen fungus invade your home on a massive scale? Except for that time you left the shower curtain out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »

I'm kidding.

Mostly.

Fungus invaded my tortoise's habitat frequently when the happy little bastard was still alive. I had mushrooms and shit sprouting every few weeks no matter how much I scrubbed and cleaned the place.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »

You guys are overreacting. When have you ever seen fungus invade your home on a massive scale? Except for that time you left the shower curtain out.

Also, microorganisms are not magic. This particular fungus has evolved the specific ability to consume polyurethane. Want something to still not be biodegradable? Use non-polyurethane plastics. Simple as that.

E: There are other fungi that can do that, common even - like Aspergillus niger, which is a common industry workhorse (if you've taken vitamin C... yep, it's probably made with these), although they simply are less efficient - this one can survive on polyurethane alone, and does not demand uselessly long time to do so.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:42:28 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: October 27, 2014, 05:12:46 pm »

These are perfectly good points, but I see no reason to let them get in the way of a good ol' fashioned panic. How do you expect us to cry, "WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?" when you keep calmly explaining what science has done and why it's nothing to worry about?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: October 27, 2014, 05:27:20 pm »

These are perfectly good points, but I see no reason to let them get in the way of a good ol' fashioned panic. How do you expect us to cry, "WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?" when you keep calmly explaining what science has done and why it's nothing to worry about?

*shrug*

Sure, but GIT OFF MAH FIELD, DURN KIDS! Go panic over Ebola or sumthin'!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:37 am »

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?_mc=sm_eet&doc_id=1324403&page_number=3

An experimental processor achieves 4x the performance compared to the currently existing approaches by using hardware multi-threading.

This may be the technology that will finally allows us to run DF at a reasonable speed! And also will make all people suggesting to add multi-threading to the game finally shut up.
._.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2024 on: October 28, 2014, 04:33:06 pm »

ptw

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 339