Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490912 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2460 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »

That, yes.

Alternately, you may make cyborg butlers as you please, so long as they're hired appropriately and are okay with doing the job.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2461 on: February 28, 2015, 01:52:27 am »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: February 28, 2015, 02:13:49 am »

b-but gmos are evul

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2463 on: February 28, 2015, 02:57:23 am »

Whilst I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with that, part of the point of this is that the changes aren't carried over in cross-breeding.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 28, 2015, 10:01:05 am »

Well, that was a bit excessive.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:02 am »

... so how would the bugplants interact with regulations regarding bugbits in food? Would they, like. Count? Somehow?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:11 am »

Even if they did, the biomass tied up in the spliced-in DNA is extremely unlikely to be large enough to pass any thresholds, or even to require slightly more stringent quality control to offset it. And the RNA produced is not only equally lightweight, it's also bona fide plant matter. The plant made it, after all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 28, 2015, 11:45:46 am »

Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:28 am »

What, you talking the latest one? An explanation that's probably overtly simple: the apparent viscosity of fluids gets higher as an object gets smaller. If one's the size of a virus, it's somewhat like trying to breathe pitch.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:12 am »

I wonder why the wizard didn't make them grow again? Surely being the size of a virus wouldn't have made the kids die of asphyxiation more quickly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 28, 2015, 12:19:04 pm »

nitpick on shrinking that's always bugged me:

A virus is very, very small.  A germ looks like a 2 mile long asteroid compared to the size of a typical virus.

Now, we assume that the shrunken kids have the same metabolic requirements, and are made of the same number of atoms while shrunk. Gotta obey conservation of mass and energy after all.  A good deal of an atom is vacant space, so if we reduce the amount of vacant space and instead concentrate charges.... whoop--  we just did some crazyness to the kids's biochemistry on accident! By altering the charge gradients from the shrinking, we just changed the energy needed to make and break bonds between the compressed atoms... sorry kids, didnt mean to cause horrific problems like that!

Ok, so maybe  we use magic to protect the kids from the outside environment, shrink thier atoms like before, but we use even more magic to balance or slightly cancel out the now increased bond energies so that the kids dont instantly undergo horrible chemical reactions inside thier bodies...  oh no! they are suffocating!  Guess we didnt consider that the non-magicized oxygen that we expected them to be breathing was not being magicized, and thus had very different bonding properties compared to the magicized atoms in thier lungs!

OK, let's give them magicized scuba gear too.  Oh good, they can breathe! but they cant swim! the magic protecting them from interactions with the inflated atoms around them prevents traction!

Better re-inflate them and see how we can do better.. OMG, what's happening to the patient we put them in!?  He's swelling up like a baloon! OMG! its the air the kids were breathing that was magically shrunk in the tank, suddenly reverting to normal volume inside the patient!!!

the simple side of it:  shrinking and inserting macro organisms inside a living person is just plain silly, and dangerous, if it were actually possible. 

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »

What, you talking the latest one? An explanation that's probably overtly simple: the apparent viscosity of fluids gets higher as an object gets smaller. If one's the size of a virus, it's somewhat like trying to breathe pitch.

Surely they're breathing a gas not a fluid?
Reading a thinner book

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: February 28, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »

Shrinking people actually involves shrinking the space they occupy, and constructing the system that causes this in such a way that it reacts perfectly to their movements to keep the region of contracted space localized entirely within their bodies. Everything that doesn't make sense because of the havoc that would play with vision due to screwiness with light is optical illusions.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 28, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

Surely they're breathing a gas not a fluid?

Gas has viscosity, too.

Ty. Didn't realize viruses had different methods of respiring.
Reading a thinner book

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 28, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »

Viruses don't respire.

EDIT: At least, as far as I know. They're basically inert packets of genetic information that bounce around until they encounter a suitable host cell. All their energy is invested when they're produced by a hijacked host.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 339