Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489795 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2895 on: March 26, 2015, 12:02:59 pm »

Sigh.

Some engineer just HAD to make a thermally powered oscillating dildo didnt he? Just HAD to.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2896 on: March 26, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »

Sigh.

Some engineer just HAD to make a thermally powered oscillating dildo didnt he? Just HAD to.
Wouldn't you?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 26, 2015, 12:05:08 pm »

Wierd's complaining about the "a" part of it. Which is fair -- one thermally powered oscillating dildo is never enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2898 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »

Wierd's complaining about the "a" part of it. Which is fair -- one thermally powered oscillating dildo is never enough.
So we need an array of thermally powered oscillating dildos?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:54 pm »

An entire biomechanical ecosystem populated by them. Herds of the majestic flaming dongabeast.
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: March 26, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »

didnt this already happen when they released Spore?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2901 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »

didnt this already happen when they released Spore?
I remember watching a video with Robin Williams making a dick-critter in spore. Hilarious.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 26, 2015, 03:15:44 pm »

Not to detract from a rousing conversation about physics penises, but I have a slightly more serious question.

Everyone loves physics, and physics has rock stars Neil deGrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking that being it to the public. Biology and math both get some loving too, by people like Jane Goodall and Richard Dawkins, though he's a controversial figure. But as far as I know, people are relatively apathetic and ill informed when it comes to chemistry. What do you think chemists can do to help make chemistry accessible and get people excited about it?
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:12 pm »

More and larger explosions.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 26, 2015, 03:17:53 pm »

That's a good question actually. And it's a shame, since chemistry can be pretty exciting at times.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 26, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »

What do you think chemists can do to help make chemistry accessible and get people excited about it?
Make more articles that look like this.
._.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 26, 2015, 03:29:55 pm »

What do you think chemists can do to help make chemistry accessible and get people excited about it?
Make more articles that look like this.
I love In the Pipeline too. I wasn't aware many outside of chemistry read it. So you think more blogs like that would help introduce people to chemistry?

More and larger explosions.
If you want to read about fun explosives, read the above blog. Most things in the Things I Won't Work With are either peroxides or linked nitrogen containing compounds, such as azides. Both chemicals have your love for explosions.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »

All chemists need to do is have the kids of the world submit papers of 5 things they use everyday and then review them, take the top five, and a mini series of five episodes where chemists explain all the things they do in the process of making said things.
Kids being like 5-17 ish
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 26, 2015, 04:14:43 pm »

I think a large part of it is that chemistry, for the most part, tends to focus a lot on what is, essentially, a single branch of physics. As a result you get lots of papers about creating a new chemical, or about the properties of a new chemical, but the fact that the majority of them have long, latin names and the fact that many applications aren't immediately apparent means that it just isn't interesting to the common person that much. That's also probably why even when chemistry does make the news it's almost always the applications of it while skipping over the process. You might see a headline like "NEW FUEL CREATED", but you aren't going to see one like "NEW PROPERTIES OF AMMONIA DIHYDRALE METHALATE FOUND" (just made that name up out of the blue, probably doesn't even exist). Even the basic parts of chemistry are rather esoteric. Just learning the basis of a chemical reaction requires you to be able to look at and understand a rather large chart of different elements, understand how valence electrons work, etc.. Physics, on the other hand, is basically doesn't suffer from either of those problems. The basics of physics can usually be drawn fairly well from analogy, which makes them easy to explain to those not in the know. In addition the results are usually things that people have been experiencing all their life, and as such are immediately apparent.

As an example if I was trying to teach someone the basics of how light works I might be able to draw examples of things like rainbows and mirrors that people work with in every day life. On the other hand pretty much all of the chemistry examples you meet in ordinary life fall under a different heading, "cooking". If I was talking about light I could speak about how you can do a variety of different things to light, like bending it, splitting it, combining it, reflecting it, and what exactly was happening in each case and how they made different things happen. In chemistry you're largely confined to "we mix X and Y and Z in a big pot, heat it to this temperature, and wait for a while to get W".

In physics we already know the applications, so the reasons why they happen are cool but still simple enough to be understood. In chemistry the reasons are mostly the same, and they're complex enough to not be easily understood, while the applications tend to either be so esoteric nobody but chemists can see them, or they are so big they overshadow the chemistry part itself. And all the simpler, common chemistry things don't even get known as chemistry, they get thrown about into other fields like cooking.

TL;DR: Physics is a broader field then chemistry, and it tends to be focused more on the how thing happen than the what that they are doing, which makes it both able to provide a wider variety of easily understandable topics, while providing new reasons the average probably doesn't know but can easily understand.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 339