Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490848 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3105 on: April 16, 2015, 08:29:51 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:19:30 am by penguinofhonor »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: April 16, 2015, 08:31:51 am »

So what exactly makes time?

Good question. No one knows. Some people think it's related to the change in entropy of the universe. I dunno though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3107 on: April 16, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Good question. No one knows. Some people think it's related to the change in entropy of the universe. I dunno though.
It's one of those fundamental questions which most people just say "It just IS!"

Like why do we only perceive 3 dimensions? Why not 2? four? Why does gold look gold? Why does adding or subtracting a proton make an atom behave entirely differently? Why does the circumference of a circle equal pi?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: April 16, 2015, 08:41:19 am »

Why does the circumference of a circle equal pi?
We've been contacted by species from another universe!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3109 on: April 16, 2015, 08:43:33 am »

Why does the circumference of a circle equal pi?
We've been contacted by species from another universe!
You know what I mean! :P

I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:44 am »

Why does gold look gold?
We know that already, though I forget what it was - I read an article about it a while ago. Something about relativic electrons in gold's outer orbitals, I think.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3111 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:58 am »

Why does gold look gold?
We know that already, though I forget what it was - I read an article about it a while ago. Something about relativic electrons in gold's outer orbitals, I think.
Ah, you mean this?

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/golden_glow/

Well I guess we can check one off then.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: April 16, 2015, 12:58:43 pm »

Why does adding or subtracting a proton make an atom behave entirely differently?
We know that quite well as well. It's pretty basic (or acidic, if you excuse the pun) chemistry.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: April 16, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »

It's one of those fundamental questions which most people just say "It just IS!"

Like why do we only perceive 3 dimensions? Why not 2? four? Why does gold look gold? Why does adding or subtracting a proton make an atom behave entirely differently? Why does the circumference of a circle equal pi?
But most of those have good answers, are well studied and understood.

As for where time comes from, I recommend Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." But in general, the reason it 'goes in one direction' is because of entropy. Essentially, your brain (or any information processing system for that matter) needs to result in an increase in entropy. Information theory and thermodynamics are very deeply linked, which is generally the explanation behind that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3114 on: April 16, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »

I didn't say those questions were unknowable, I said they're questions that most people don't ponder or attempt to solve.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

But most of those have good answers, are well studied and understood.

As for where time comes from, I recommend Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." But in general, the reason it 'goes in one direction' is because of entropy. Essentially, your brain (or any information processing system for that matter) needs to result in an increase in entropy. Information theory and thermodynamics are very deeply linked, which is generally the explanation behind that.
What about fluctuations, then? If time was linked to "always increase entropy", then fluctuations wouldn't be a thing.
._.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: April 16, 2015, 02:26:21 pm »

To be clear, an FTL message that you send cannot return to you before you send it.

Uh, only because a message is unable to change direction. If you have an ansible, and you have a relay moving relative to you with their own ansible, you can bounce messages back into your past.

Can you prove that? Which way is the ansible moving relative to me, away or towards? Either way they wouldn't reply to the message until I sent it, and I wouldn't get theirs until they sent it regardless of their movement? It just makes the simultaneity confusing; there exist reference frames in which the signal looks like its received and sent to me before I send the initial one, but that certainly isn't MY reference frame. Right? Wrong?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: April 16, 2015, 03:24:44 pm »

2 Year old youngest cryonically frozen patient.

She happens to be stored at the same place i've arranged my head to be frozen and stored. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »

Has anyone ever sucessfully brought back a cryogenicaly frozen person?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: April 16, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »

.... But freezing completely destroys the cells if done wrong and why would we do something that we have very little proof of being able to work on human beings?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 339