Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489862 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3137 on: April 17, 2015, 01:38:33 pm »

That feels so bullshit. "We have no idea if this stuff will actually work as intended,  like at all. But if it doesn't, we have other options to connect the spinal cords!" How does that even get past the drawing board?!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3138 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:35 pm »

That feels so bullshit. "We have no idea if this stuff will actually work as intended,  like at all. But if it doesn't, we have other options to connect the spinal cords!" How does that even get past the drawing board?!
Well for one thing there is really not much to lose. The one guy is GOING TO DIE if they don't, and the other guy is a vegetable.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: April 17, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »

Which one do you think costs more? this or cryogenics?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3140 on: April 17, 2015, 02:01:20 pm »

Which one do you think costs more? this or cryogenics?
Hard to say. How long do we expect the cryogenics subject to be frozen? I expect the ongoing running costs of keeping a person frozen will eventually eclipse the cost of performing a single operation.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:29 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: April 17, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »

I was going to say that they didn't patent a deflector shield, merely a new type of reactive armour but nope. It does seem like they patented deflector shields, though I'm sure that the reality will turn out different than what science fiction has predicted. Plus by the sounds of it, you definitely wouldn't want to be nearby when they activate with all of the energy they're pumping out to create the transient medium. So personal shields are probably still a pipedream.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: April 17, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »

Yeah, for one it sounds like it's going to be purely reactive, at least in this iteration, rather than an "always-up" deal.

3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: April 17, 2015, 08:32:39 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:23:26 am by penguinofhonor »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: April 17, 2015, 09:35:42 pm »

I am very curious as to what does whichever institution in charge of organ donation management in Russia have to say about this. Braindead donors with an otherwise healthy body are not that frequent. And there's an opportunity cost involved, aka, all those organs which might go to other people.

PD:

While at first I was somewhat skeptical, and suspected the whole thing being just a publicity stunt,  at the very least the guy has quite a few indexed publications.
And has written about this before, in 2013, and again in January this year.

Of course, the sciencealert and DM articles make some comments as to how the whole thing is still on the drawing board, and funding-pending, and speculate on the trial beginning two years hence....

One thing: I kind of wonder if they will or not try it on a non-human primate beforehand. Once again, I'm in the dark as to how are these things regulated in Russia, but  I kind of think they should nonetheless

And, after all that, they still need a donor, of course.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: April 17, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »

Purely reactive sounds a lot more practical than always-up, to be honest.

More efficient without question, but probably also somewhat less reliable -- if you're relying on sensors to detect situations where the shield is necessary that's another point of failure. Not that constantly maintaining something like that would be practical or possible, I think.

3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: April 18, 2015, 12:16:58 am »

And considering that we do already have a way to essentially clone humans, the ability to do a head- or better yet, a brain- transplant is... well, it would change a lot of things. Not to mention the ethical implications- does a clone have rights if just used as a replacement body, or could we use physical trauma in early stages of development to prevent anything other than essential brain functions from developing whatsoever? You know, careful physical trauma to force the clone-body to be braindead in all but the parts required for body regulation, in order to reduce costs?
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a gene treatment out there that if applied during growth could be used to totally prevent the growing body from developing any higher brain functions at all. Much cheaper and less risky than attempting to do it with early physical removal.

What I absolutely don't see happening is that whole "The Island" thing where we grow real people and then harvest them for their organs. That's like a long slippery slope away from where we are in the current day morality.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: April 18, 2015, 01:22:52 am »

And considering that we do already have a way to essentially clone humans, the ability to do a head- or better yet, a brain- transplant is... well, it would change a lot of things. Not to mention the ethical implications- does a clone have rights if just used as a replacement body, or could we use physical trauma in early stages of development to prevent anything other than essential brain functions from developing whatsoever? You know, careful physical trauma to force the clone-body to be braindead in all but the parts required for body regulation, in order to reduce costs?
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a gene treatment out there that if applied during growth could be used to totally prevent the growing body from developing any higher brain functions at all. Much cheaper and less risky than attempting to do it with early physical removal.

What I absolutely don't see happening is that whole "The Island" thing where we grow real people and then harvest them for their organs. That's like a long slippery slope away from where we are in the current day morality.

The premise of that movie was absurd. It basically stated that the reason the cloned bodies had to have active minds, was because of some absurd, unsubstantiated requirement the body has for a mind to be there, for it to develop and function correctly.

Nevermind that everything about that is bullshit--  all the body needs is a brainstem, and a feeding tube. That regulates all the essential metabolic activities just fine.

And yes, there are congenital birth defects stemming from genetic and environmental causes that cause anenchephaly. (a defect that cause the fetus to not develop a full head and or brain.)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly

growing headless bodies, or at least brainless ones, is quite feasible.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: April 18, 2015, 06:07:42 am »

If that wikipedia page has an image, I recommend staying away from it. Then again, better than to just use Google.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 339