Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 481844 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3675 on: May 09, 2016, 11:30:07 pm »

I was mostly joking, but yeah. I do know that iron in the core of a star signals the end of that stars life, and the most efficient fussion involves the elements with lower atomic numbers. We could, theoretically, do it though. You would just need....either a huge amount of power or some magical way to gain energy from the fusion of heavy metals. Easiest way of getting power I can think of is fission/fusion reactors, your choice or a hybrid, or a Dyson Sphere, although that's a very expensive option.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: May 13, 2016, 09:13:20 pm »

Eh, any interesting !!SCIENCE!! going down?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: May 13, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »

Eh, any interesting !!SCIENCE!! going down?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Discuss..?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:28 pm »

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: May 14, 2016, 04:13:01 am »

Yes, it's the thing of my dreams, but it's probably bloody expensive, doesn't exist near where I live, and is a little bit of a cop-out. And if it's the stuff of my dreams, I can probably get a similar experience by sleeping. :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 14, 2016, 11:50:20 am »

That looks cool, but, damn, their website is useless. No where on it could I find information on Where the place is, If/When it is opening, and how much it costs.

Google informs me that it is in Salt Lake City and supposed to open sometime this Summer.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:09 pm »

That looks cool, but, damn, their website is useless. No where on it could I find information on Where the place is, If/When it is opening, and how much it costs.

Google informs me that it is in Salt Lake City and supposed to open sometime this Summer.

Interesting. I'll be moving to somewhere near there this summer, so I might have an opportunity to take a look at it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: May 15, 2016, 07:14:42 am »

I feel it'd be one hell of an ordeal on your neck, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: May 16, 2016, 12:21:07 pm »

I'm wondering if I'm the only one bothered by all the different sea ice observation tools failing or not being updated/put in place this year. Setting aside nonsense doom mongering, it's just interesting watching the evolution of the system each year, trying to see if I can guess how it will develop, and so forth.

This year the webcams didn't get funding to be put back on the ice around the pole, sensors used for estimating ice coverage are glitching out, and it's hard to find other people who care it seems.

Without the ability to do experiments on this scale, observation is our only recourse by which we can test predictions and models, what do we do when the observation platforms fall silent?

The missing maps on here: http://www.arctic.io/explorer/Y65/2016-04-30/4-N83.95557-E135 (click over to May, check the other products in the sidebar, try to find something later than mid-April) are a bummer.

The fact that the only cameras we have up there right now are #13 and #14: http://obuoy.datatransport.org/monitor#overview/gpstracks with all of the usual webcams stationed on the ice directly crunched and lacking funding to put up new ones this year: http://psc.apl.washington.edu/northpole/NPEO2015/NPEO2015_webcams.html is also a bummer. A friend got an email back after inquiring into the plans.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: May 17, 2016, 02:00:27 am »

So a while ago the IAU held their exoplanet naming competition, which was mentioned in this thread, but never actually followed up on. Here are the results, but for posterity I'll also list them and their details here.

- Veritate ["Truth"] (Orange Giant)
 - Spe ["Hope"] (Gas Giant)

- Musica (Yellow Giant)
 - Arion (Gas Giant)

- Fafnir (Class K Star)
 - Orbitar (Gas Giant)

- Chalawan (Yellow Dwarf)
 - Taphao Thong (Gas Giant)
 - Taphao Kaew (Gas Giant)

- Helvetios (Sol Analog)
 - Dimidium ["Half"] (Hot Jupiter)

- Copernicus (Yellow Dwarf, binary with an unnamed Red Dwarf)
 - Galileo (Gas Giant)
 - Brahe (Gas Giant)
 - Lipperhey (Gas Giant)
 - Janssen (Super-Earth)
 - Harriot (Gas Giant)

- Amateru (Gas Giant, orbits Epsilon Tauri)

- Hypatia (Gas Giant, orbits Iota Draconis)

- Ran (Sol Analog)
 - Ægir (Gas Giant)

- Tadmor (Gas Giant, orbits Gamma Cephei A)

- Dagon (Unknown, orbits Fomalhaut)

- Tonatiuh (Yellow Giant)
 - Meztli (Gas Giant)

- Ogma (Yellow Subgiant)
 - Smertrios (Gas Giant)

- Intercrus ["Between The Legs"] (K Type Star)
 - Arkas (Gas Giant)

- Cervantes (Sol Analog)
 - Quijote (Gas Giant)
 - Dulcinea (Super-Earth)
 - Rocinante (Gas Giant)
 - Sancho (Gas Giant)

- Thestias (Gas Giant, orbits Pollux)

- Lich (Pulsar)
 - Draugr (Terrestrial)
 - Poltergeist (Super-Earth)
 - Phobetor (Super-Earth)

- Titawin (Yellow-White Dwarf, binary with an unnamed Red Dwarf)
 - Saffar (Gas Giant)
 - Samh (Gas Giant)
 - Majriti (Gas Giant)

- Libertas ["Liberty"] (Red Giant)
 - Fortitudo ["Fortitude"] (Gas Giant)

So I think it's fairly obvious that Lich wins, blowing away all competition by virtue of being what is essentially an undead star to begin with.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: May 17, 2016, 02:49:28 am »

I was quite taken with Cervantes and its orbitals, I must say.

("Orbitar" looks a bit proto-"Planety McPlanetface", doesn't it?  ;) )

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 17, 2016, 03:29:05 am »

We named the first non-Sol star with planets discovered around it Lich?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 17, 2016, 05:17:55 am »

We named it that.   I'm sure the inhabitants of that system have a much nicer name for it*.

And I, for one, welcome our new Lichean overlords and their nicer-sounding (even if chitinously unpronouncable) name.

* -  probably translates to "The Sun", actually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 17, 2016, 12:45:52 pm »

("Orbitar" looks a bit proto-"Planety McPlanetface", doesn't it?  ;) )
It's interesting, because apparently it's a contrived name in reference to NASA's orbital operations. I don't quite get why that ended up being "Orbitar" as opposed to "Orbiter" or "Orbita", but there you have it.
The first discovered exoplanet is actually a position of some controversy, since early methods for exoplanet detection where highly unreliable and may or may not have found certain planets decades before their real confirmations, while others assert that only reliable imaging counts as discovery.

However, what I can tell you is that Draugr is the smallest planet we know of, including all the planets in the solar system.

Also, what would you have called it? I'd rather we not get into the habit of scoffing at celestial naming activities, since we are going to have to name billions of entities, and that's if we limit ourselves to the ones we pay attention to and not literally everything we can see. Lich is a perfectly fine name for this system.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 17, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »

I'm not scoffing. I thought it was hilarious until I realized that, being a pulsar solar system, the whole thing's basically undead, at which point it was just awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 339