Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 481079 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3690 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:26 pm »

I'm not scoffing. I thought it was hilarious until I realized that, being a pulsar solar system, the whole thing's basically undead, at which point it was just awesome.
Can concur, much awesome.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:03 pm »

I have to say, it's a little concerning just how few terrestrial planets were included in this. Another thing to consider is that Super-Earths coincide with Mini-Neptunes, and while we don't know exactly when somewhere not too far above Earth's size becoming a gas giant is inevitable.

Though I know they've found plenty of worlds that are considered likely terrestrial, so they probably just aren't being included in this rather than it being a sign of how likely they are. Still would be nice to get to name some of them, but you could consider it a precaution against accidentally naming a coincidental Earth analog something stupid before we know it's an eventual colony target.

That said, I think the IAU is a little overzealous about their naming schemata, with things such as turning Liberty and Fortitude into their Latin counterparts for no real reason or refusing to name the one Amaterasu because a fairly insignificant asteroid got it first.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:21 pm »

Wait, the Latinizing was IAU?  I thought it was just the submitted names?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: May 17, 2016, 11:29:46 pm »

According to their chart, those two were submitted as English, but the IAU used the Latin counterparts instead because...no reason really given.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:58 pm »

And yet they didn't turn "lich" into "undeadus spellcasterus?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:38 am »

("Orbitar" looks a bit proto-"Planety McPlanetface", doesn't it?  ;) )
It's interesting, because apparently it's a contrived name in reference to NASA's orbital operations. I don't quite get why that ended up being "Orbitar" as opposed to "Orbiter" or "Orbita", but there you have it.
It's spacey. Pulsar, Magnetar, etc. The 'tar' is from "star" I think, so it's technically incorrect (it'd be a better name for the sub-star in a dom/sub binary system, an "orbiting star") but whatever.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: May 18, 2016, 03:26:41 pm »

I think they've Latinized the names because English isn't the only language in the world, it's not even the majority language. This avoids having planets called Liberty in seventeen different languages, or a disproportionate number being in English.

Before you scoff, consider that if it was by worldwide fair vote, most names would in Mandarin Chinese, followed by Spanish, then English.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:29:00 pm by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: May 18, 2016, 04:12:26 pm »

why aren't they named in proto-indo-european then

checkmate, atheists
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: May 18, 2016, 04:14:41 pm »

That's not really a valid argument when they did allow things in non-Latin languages other than English. If you don't count proper names, zero of these are in English.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:31 pm »

All the non-Latinized ones seem related to mythological beings however.

So, Latinized words or named after gods. You can sure have an English one as long as it's named after the traditional English pantheon. Don't have your own pantheon? Tough shit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:10 pm »

Ah yes, the famous god Copernicus.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: May 18, 2016, 05:11:47 pm »

Ok, you got me, add "famous astronomers" to the allowed list. One of whom is English, btw: Harriot.

Latin fits with scientific nomenclature, Gods fits with traditional naming of stars and planets, and Astronomers, well that just fits with the whole "naming stars" thing, doesn't it?

There's no real English bias on display here.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:19:24 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: May 18, 2016, 05:18:31 pm »

Who said anything about bias? The IAU's standards are just arbitrary and pointless.

We have a lot of celestial bodies to go through, no reason to limit ourselves.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: May 18, 2016, 05:30:11 pm »

We have a lot of celestial bodies to go through, no reason to limit ourselves.
Fourth question down...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: May 19, 2016, 04:50:15 am »

("Orbitar" looks a bit proto-"Planety McPlanetface", doesn't it?  ;) )
It's interesting, because apparently it's a contrived name in reference to NASA's orbital operations. I don't quite get why that ended up being "Orbitar" as opposed to "Orbiter" or "Orbita", but there you have it.
It's spacey. Pulsar, Magnetar, etc. The 'tar' is from "star" I think, so it's technically incorrect (it'd be a better name for the sub-star in a dom/sub binary system, an "orbiting star") but whatever.

Descan, please keep your dong out of my stars.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 339