Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490793 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4800 on: February 15, 2017, 08:03:45 pm »

Once the no-daughter thing gets into the pet population (as it will, although mostly by human incompetence in keeping a proper eye on a 'pedigree' queen), there could end up being a pressure upon illegal kitten-farms hording 'clean' queens and possibly (or possibly not, if they're looking for return customers over ethical business) 'clean' toms, in whatever dank conditions they can get away with.

If there's a male-only gene drive then all females are "clean" by definition, even if they had previous litters of gene-drive males. So it's just clean males that would be in demand. In fact they could breed the females with gene-drive males in order to have only boy kittens for sale. It's a lot less surgically invasive to neuter males.

Other types of pet animals seem to be ok without letting them out for random breeding experiments.
Not really. Most thoroughbred dogs come with a whole package of genetic disposition towards a gazillion health issues.
Same for throroughbred cats. A lot of them have respiratory afflictions, or genetic disposition to kidney failure at relative young age.

But they do that deliberately, because they're bred for shows and pedigrees, so they deliberately breed them with e.g. parent/child or sibling inbreeding. So in those cases the breeding stock is heavily restricted by design. For just standard pet cats there isn't the same pressure to do that, so it's not quite a comparable situation.

"Show cats" are an inbred mess. The average cat you buy in a pet shop isn't the same. And that's what we'd be left with if strays largely disappeared because of a gene drive. Pet shop cats aren't going to suddenly become mutants because there are less strays. But also with less random unwanted cats being bought, then demand for pet shop cats would increase, and to meet that, the size of the breeding pool would have to rise, and a larger breeding pool promotes diversity.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:11:08 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: February 16, 2017, 02:46:21 am »

Tbh I think selling cats from a pet shop is animal abuse. Cats aren't meant to be put on display in a little cage until someone comes and buys them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: February 16, 2017, 03:19:20 am »

I think most people get "moggy" cats, because that is what most people have, and they tend to self-reproduce.

Moggy cats are on average, healthier (because they arent inbred, or have serious renal or respiratory problems that "purebred" cats have), and smarter than their "show" counterparts.

They also tend to be "free to a good home" because mittens managed to get out and find some random tom somewhere and then popped out 12 kittens a few months later, and her peoples cant afford to keep 13 cats.

I think spay and neuter are good control methods, but introducing a genetic nuclear option is over the top. Nature is significantly less kind about things than humans, and she is more than willing to murder them all, so to speak.  Currently, stray cats live terrible, bleak lives-- but no worse so than any other wild predator of their size. 

If you are a pet owner, keeping your pet from replicating out of control is part of being a responsible one.

I personally see the market for cats go way up if there is an introduction of a nuclear population depletion option in the population, because the depression on the market from ubiquitous availability of moggy cats will vanish. I dont think the benefits would outweigh the costs, and think it is dangerous to do so.

Now, if you want to totally destroy a population that should not be someplace-- like mice in NZ, or cane toads in AU--- by all means! Nuclear Option Ahoy!

Companion animals?  Better to institute more aggressive fines and fees for irresponsible pet ownership.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: February 16, 2017, 01:23:39 pm »

My issue with the nuclear option on strays in an area with a beloved pet population is that they gon' fuck; no pure-breed is actually pure, it's got stray in it, and if that nuclear option gets in, it'll eradication to cleanse the breeding population again.

y'all gonna cause cat eugenics
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26:08 pm »

An acquitance of my father once walked into his house to find his favorite (up to that moment) uncle skinning and cooking his pet cat.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

An acquitance of my father once walked into his house to find his favorite (up to that moment) uncle skinning and cooking his pet cat.
That is one of the moments I would cross the 'thou shallt not kill' treshold, and skin and cook the uncle. You don't kill my cat and live to tell it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:29:50 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: February 16, 2017, 02:36:01 pm »

My issue with the nuclear option on strays in an area with a beloved pet population is that they gon' fuck; no pure-breed is actually pure, it's got stray in it, and if that nuclear option gets in, it'll eradication to cleanse the breeding population again.

y'all gonna cause cat eugenics
If I understand correctly, it wouldn't be a problem because the females are always clean. If you happen to lose the last clean male - and that's quite a task -, you could probably just edit back the DNS of an 'infected' male.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: February 16, 2017, 03:06:44 pm »

Now, if you want to totally destroy a population that should not be someplace-- like mice in NZ, or cane toads in AU--- by all means! Nuclear Option Ahoy!

Companion animals?  Better to institute more aggressive fines and fees for irresponsible pet ownership.

Trouble is cats are both of those for AUS

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: February 17, 2017, 05:47:07 am »

Instead of hating on the cats can we get around to wiping out mosquitoes first
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: February 17, 2017, 06:28:52 am »

Cats are more edible though.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: February 17, 2017, 09:20:44 am »

Don't you know bug meal is the hip new thing

Cats are relegated to bad stereotypes of foreign countries.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: February 17, 2017, 09:35:03 am »

Stereotype? My dad's friend genuinelly had his cat eaten by his uncle.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: February 18, 2017, 02:53:07 am »

Heh, nifty. Utah university is developing self-focussing glasses.
http://www.utahbusiness.com/university-of-utah-engineers-develop-smart-glasses/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: February 18, 2017, 02:59:56 am »

Sounds like an oil-lens from Dune...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: February 18, 2017, 03:02:59 am »

Haha yeah. Liquid glycerine instead of oil, but yeah.

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 339