Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [bug] Plant gathering  (Read 750 times)

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
[bug] Plant gathering
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:42:00 am »

Has anyone collected plants in the latest version? My dwarves just can't seem to collect anything! Maybe it's related to the bone bolts bug somehow?

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [bug] Plant gathering
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 04:00:00 am »

Do they have any skill at plant gathering? if not they may just be really pathetic at picking things.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 04:10:00 am »

You may be on to something - they are all Dabbling, because I always assign unimportant dwarves to do plant gathering... But I think they were returning plants much more often before. Maybe because I had some experienced Plant Gatherer who moved on to do other stuff...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:57:00 am »

In a game started with the latest version, I definitely am seeing outside plants in the Kitchen screen, so they're at least gathering *some*.

JM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »

Have you 'd'esignated the area for the plants to be gathered from?

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

Skill seems to make all the difference when it comes to plant gathering. It's definitely worth pouring some points into Herbalism at the beginning, in my opinion. I made sure I had a Competent Herbalist last fort, used the wild plants to make booze, and ended up with about thirty units of Longland beer(along with some strawberry wine), at just the point when I really needed it, as the dwarves were starting to take ridiculously long breaks. And that way, I didn't have to use up precious plump helmets to get them to work faster.

Yeah, that fortress was going pretty well, at least until the lizardmen burst out of the well and started slaughtering everybody. Putting traps around the well will definitely be a higher priority task in the next fortress...