Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Excitement over new version  (Read 1781 times)

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
Re: Excitement over new version
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

quote:
A fifteen level fortress sounds absolutely massive! Sounds great! This means the fortresses we make can truly only be limited by our imaginations.

...and by the 768x768x31 play area. That comes out to 18,284,544 tiles. The current version is only 400x400. That comes out to 160,000. Which means if you want your fortress can be 114.2784 times as large. Imagine Copperblazes at that size. And if you increase the population that would be 114 times as many dwarves, so when Copperblazes had 100 idlers the new Copperblazes will have 11428 idlers. If you ever run out of room in the new version we will come to your house and cut you, then steal your supercomputer. Or you can just have as small as a 144x144x31 play area. That comes out as 642,816 tiles. That means that your fortress will have to be 4 times as large, minimum. Anyone without a powerful computer is going to be left the dust. I love my new computer. I guess the new challenge is who can run what level of map? Must upgrade.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

I think this might be the first time I've ever heard of people wanting to upgrade their computer to play an ASCII game.

How freaking awesome is that?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

Keep in mind that a 144x144x31 map in a flat area has only 2 allocated levels (the main one and probably one below for swamp pools), so you don't need a computer capable of doing calculations on hundreds of thousands of tiles.  The areas are allocated as you designate and build vertically in 48x48x1 blocks.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

Sweet  :D

Im saving up for an intel core 2 duo extreme, but its nice to know it can still run well on my pentium 4

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

So that means that I can actually play the new DF on my laptop! (curse you, dual-core: 1.73 + 1.73 != 3.46) It sounds like things like towers will also not especially power intensive either. the minimum tileage will be 41,472 + X*2,304
Compared to the current 160,000 tiles, that's 1/4 the size.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

The current one is actually 480x480, if I remember.  This isn't to say there aren't speed problems.  There are issues with speed in towns in adv mode, and sometimes that can be pretty extreme.  I'm not sure what's up there.  Could just be overactive pathing for the inhabitants.  The same thing seems to be going on with chasms.  They could just be overpopulated as well, coupled with overactive wanderings.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 [3]