Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Text Mode  (Read 1512 times)

Aegidius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Text Mode
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »

I have a feeling that my problem has something to do with my configuration rather than being a bug, so I'm posting it here hoping that someone who uses PRINT_MODE:TEXT on Linux will be able to give me some advice.  When running Dwarf Fortress in a terminal or on the console, the normal characters (A-Z, a-z, punctuation) display properly, but other characters (dwarves, trees, water, miasma etc.) are not displayed at all.  The problem has persisted in two different terminal emulators as well as the console, and with the many different fonts tried including some that were specially made for DF. 

If anyone has gotten these characters (or even substitutes . . . anything but the black space I'm getting will do) to display in text mode, I'd be really grateful to hear how you did it.  Thanks!

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:43:05 am »

Try running
Code: [Select]
setfont -m cp437 before you start Dwarf Fortress.

Aegidius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Text Mode
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:00 pm »

Thanks very much for the response!

At the console, the command
$ setfont -m cp437 -vyields the output
Loading symbolic screen map from file /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans/cp437_to_uni.transbut, unfortunately, the way DF is displayed is unchanged. 

I've actually just taken to playing in the 2D display mode, and am enjoying it greatly.  I wanted to get text mode working so I could play over ssh, but I can live without it.