Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Simmura's Log: An X3:TC text LP

(1/6) > >>

Simmura McCrea:
Having started reading Squiddy McSquid's possibly short life, I've decided to keep a small journal in the same vein. I figured I'd share with you guys too.

After the first couple hours of play, I have the M5 Discoverer class and the TS Mercury class ships I started with. I blew ~9k credits on some software allowing me to trade remotely, letting me flit about in the M5 and get the TS to do all the actual work. This 9k, however, was most of my money, so it's been rather slow going. I've failed both of the two missions attempted so far, alas. The first, a delivery of energy cells, should've been a cakewalk and an easy 2k, but I couldn't find an option to turn the quest in. The second, claiming and returning an abandoned ship, was failed because the abandoned ship exploded after I told it to go home. Message logs says my M5 destroyed it, but I didn't take any damage, so I didn't ram it or something. I call it a bug, myself.

Current plans are to continue to build capital. Once I have ~60k I'll start upgrading the TS to speed it up, then go for more cargo space. If I can figure out how to get it to automate the opportunistic trading I'm doing at the moment, I'll do that and continue to flit around in the M5 and do missions. Hopefully, I can get some weapons on it, or find an abandoned M4 or M3 somewhere to start getting piratical on the pirates.

Current assets
M5 Discoverer class - unarmed, lightly shielded
TS Mercury class - unarmed, lightly shielded
     ~2k credits of energy cells
Some spare change

Feel free to suggest ships names. Hopefully, I'll have more before long. Current ideas are Spyglass and Sugar Daddy, respectively.

Blaze:

--- Quote ---X3.
LP.
(Other stuff I didn't pay attention to)

--- End quote ---
I am in, I am so in, words do not exist to describe how in I am.

I've always wanted an X3 text LP, but never had the attention span to start one; video LPs are just too slow.

You turn in delivery quests by docking at any the target station, then just wait until they claim it.

What does the TCs trader start begin in? Boron was it?

Calech:
If I recall correctly, I *think* you have to actually be piloting the craft that makes the dropoff for a delivery mission in order for the cargo to be collected; I have a tendency to stay away from these missions myself due to experiencing similar frustrations. You can get some good payouts from them if you have the patience though.

Truly automating your traders will probably require you to get the most expensive trading software to start up a Sector Trader; it's a little more practical in the early game to issue commands remotely instead as you've been doing. As long as you've got the Trading System Extension installed (I think?) to see the stock levels in stations without docking, you don't need to see the prices - high stock levels are sold cheaply, low stock levels are bought at high cost. Of course getting the Best Buys / Best Selling Price extensions does this for you, but again at a price.

Running combat missions in an underequipped M5 is an interesting experience; I have fond memories of accepting a combat mission only to realise that my ship had only 1 Impulse Ray Emitter (I could do more damage by getting out and punching the other ship, to be honest) and a single 1MJ shield... that didn't go so well. Clear a few 'trade' type missions to improve trade rank and reputation, and you should make enough cash to at least outfit your ship a little better.

One tip about return ship missions; check what ship you're returning and how much you're getting. If you get a message saying "I left the keys in the ignition of my 8m credit M6 class corvette, if you bring it back I'll give you 1k credits for your help"... the local shipyard might give you a better deal ;) At lower levels it's not really worth selling the M5s and M4s, as the reputation and rank benefits are better than maybe an extra 1k-2k credits, but if you strike lucky and get an M3... it's actually better to sell these than keep them, because sector police will spawn to destroy 'stolen' vessels, plus outfitting an M3 is expensive.

Simmura McCrea:
I started out as an Argon. I'd rather have started Boron, to be honest, since their ships are prettier. I shall bear your advice in mind next time I do one of those jobs, though. It's going to be a while until I do any combat jobs, given the price of weaponry and the M5's flimsiness. I'd really rather avoid combat until it's at least fully upgraded in the engine department.

Blaze:
Well, not to far north (up?) of Argon Prime is Power Circle. That place (unless the game removes them) has a bunch of neglected solar power plants and ore/silicon mines; you can easily get Ecells for 12-14 there and sell them in the same sector for 17-19. After that you can move to Ore, which you can buy for around 50 and sell for 200 if you have your trades right.

Or you can skip the trading entirely by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Hunting down an ownerless ship; I recommend either the Enhanced Pericles (M4) or Advanced Eclipse (M3) in Savage Spur and Ocracoke's Storm, respectively. You can then sell your current ships and purchase equipment for them. Both require a far trip southwest into possibly hostile (Yaki) sectors.
What are your long term plans? Are you going to befriend race X or not? Are you going pirate, going to remain a pure trader or something in between?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version