Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)  (Read 35845 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Flight Simulations (IL-2, RoF, DCS, etc)
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2015, 09:46:03 pm »

Hehehe, yeah, I guess! I haven't really tried BMS - the DCS A-10C tutorials are actually really good (even if they occasionally bug out a bit). I assume the rest of the DCS offerings will have good tutorials too! I went through them and that allowed me to get into playing the game in SP. I feel like it's after that point that talking to other people might help, but not really before. The main thing about MP is coordinating, but you need to be able to employ all of the ordnance, and that is complicated to explain... that's why there's one tutorial for almost every weapon, and each takes over 15m or so. I doubt someone's going to be able to do a much better job than that "live" instead of pre-recorded!

Because complexity!

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:12 am »

Il-2 BoS received a new update! Heres the changelog: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12826-game-updates/#entry236340

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2015, 06:32:15 am »

I could be willing to help you with some BMS and DCS stuff, I know my way best around the F-16 cockpit, but I've also got some basic knowledge on how the MiG-21bis works.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2015, 11:34:05 am »

I found a nice Il-2 themed video - remember to watch it in full HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yi5KfKWXQ

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2015, 02:20:35 pm »

Holy crap, that looks good. I'd missed that movie! It does look like damage, in particular smoke, wings coming off, and fire take a while to happen. Is that due to lag or something, or is it more realistic and I'm just used to the old IL-2?

I'm still dreaming of a PTO equivalent of the newer flight sims. PTO never gets enough love.... I also started flying with Air Group 51 again. Couldn't really help myself and made another video of one of our sorties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUi2KoUh5M

This time around the bombers did most of the work. We also only fly against AI, and there's usually little CAP, since we have a lot of mud movers. My dogfighting skills are even rustier than when I flew on populated servers... :P Not that I get to use them much. I don't think I fired a single shot that entire mission :P

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »

Its the more realistic damage; fires usually take some time(up to couple of seconds) to spread out. And wings and other structures may bent under stress or disintegrate long after the damage was taken, like in old Il-2 but its more detailed and animated.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2015, 10:34:50 am »

Here's some great Falcon BMS footage everyone should watch.

Watched a little bit only. Not super into modern stuff, but it's really cool when people do post-mortems of their combats. How often does a fight devolve into using cannons? I was under the impression it was all about the Sidewinders :P

Its the more realistic damage; fires usually take some time(up to couple of seconds) to spread out. And wings and other structures may bent under stress or disintegrate long after the damage was taken, like in old Il-2 but its more detailed and animated.

Nice, interesting. Takes a while getting used to! I want my instant feedback, haha :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:00:03 am by Anvilfolk »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2015, 10:59:08 am »

I was under the impression is was all about the Sidewinders :P

Modern air combat. 'Nuff said.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2015, 11:08:37 am »

Here's some great Falcon BMS footage everyone should watch.

Watched a little bit only. Not super into modern stuff, but it's really cool when people do post-mortems of their combats. How often does a fight devolve into using cannons? I was under the impression it was all about the Sidewinders :P

Nice, interesting. Takes a while getting used to! I want my instant feedback, haha :D

BoS definitely feels kind of limp when it comes to damage but I'm thinking that's a hyperreality kind of thing where we're so accustomed to the big pyrotechnics and wings flying off that a more realistic approach feels fake.  It does seem to model individual problems very well, Yaks tend to have delayed fires when their wings start streaming, 190s have cannon racks in the wings that blow up with accurate hits, etc.

Maybe I'm just a bad shot, maybe I just need to suck it up and get the 190 for blappage, but I tend to see a lot of streamers and not much else.  I have seen the occasional mid-air explosion so we at least know that's still a thing.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2015, 12:09:22 pm »

The vast majority of guncam footage I've seen does not end with wings snapping or big explosions. It's just black smoke, or flames, and planes spinning out of control presumably because of pilot injury or death.

But yeah, definitely used to the IL-2 '46 wing snapping thing ;)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »

The vast majority of guncam footage I've seen does not end with wings snapping or big explosions. It's just black smoke, or flames, and planes spinning out of control presumably because of pilot injury or death.

But yeah, definitely used to the IL-2 '46 wing snapping thing ;)

Dunno, I dont think the wings necessarily snap too much in old il-2... Its hard to make them snap with machine guns only. One needs 4 cannons or several bursts with 1 or 2 to reliably make the targets lose their wings or tails. Or the Mk 108. Except Zero and Hayabusa and such very lightweight paper planes.

Theres definitely more "module damage" in BoS and one can more reliably neutralize the target without making it lose large parts or catch fire though, which I like. But I also feel the MG151/20 is as deadly as ever if not even more powerful with all the new stuff that can be hit by the explosion shrapnel and debris and the exaggerated over old Il-2 structural stress effects. Bursts with more than 1 cannon shell exploding hitting anything Soviet that isnt an Il-2 have so far always made them lose parts, burn or made them smoke and stop fighting back. Soviet ShVak is most probably modeled to have better penetrating API but much less exploding content in HE/HEI but I don't feel comfortable sitting in front of one in my 109 still. Nor the Berezins.

Or it could be just me.  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:01:07 pm by Erkki »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »

Yeah, outside of the 190s and other big dakka planes I didn't see wing snaps too often.  Honestly my playstyle doesn't see a whole lot of explicit shootdown kills at all.  War Thunder and 1946 both, most of my kills with the planes I really like (the early 109s with the shitty MGs) were just from chipping at his tail and bullying him with my performance until he crashes.  A hard dive for speed is a bad time to find our your elevators are full of tiny holes.

On the other hand, I'd say the majority of my deaths are from throwing pieces of my plane but that's probably because I haven't done enough research into the specifics of their performance and tend to put them through too much.  My last Il-2 DCG campaign (Normandy 1944, Mustang) ended on the first mission when I forgot to look at my speedometer and cranked the stick back at 900kmh
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:12:56 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 11, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

Yeah, outside of the 190s and other big dakka planes I didn't see wing snaps too often.  Honestly my playstyle doesn't see a whole lot of explicit shootdown kills at all.  War Thunder and 1946 both, most of my kills with the planes I really like (the early 109s with the shitty MGs) were just from chipping at his tail and bullying him with my performance until he crashes.  A hard dive for speed is a bad time to find our your elevators are full of tiny holes.

On the other hand, I'd say the majority of my deaths are from throwing pieces of my plane but that's probably because I haven't done enough research into the specifics of their performance and tend to put them through too much.  My last Il-2 DCG campaign (Normandy 1944, Mustang) ended on the first mission when I forgot to look at my speedometer and cranked the stick back at 900kmh

Why do you like early 109s? First ones I like is E-4 because its the first one with prop pitch automatics. F series is the best and most fun to fly to me.

I went through my old flight logs again and it seems that getting hit by friendly flak is involved in good part of deaths... Closely followed by friendly fire and collisions with friendlies.  :( :-\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 11, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »

Probably War Thunder, the kinds of planes it fights in War Thunder really let me be a dick with my energy characteristics and bully people down.  Outside of that I usually play the F-4.

Seal clubbing, in other words.  Fighting biplanes and stubby pre-war monoplanes like the P-26.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:17:44 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24