Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When flooding Depot with magma .. Nothing left behind  (Read 1352 times)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When flooding Depot with magma .. Nothing left behind
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »

Whenever an elfen or ooman caravan arrives in my depot, I close the drawbridge and open a floodgate, flooding it with magma. When all of the tiles of my 7x7 room have >= 1/7 magma, i close the gate. Once everything's done burning up and the smoke clears, and the last of the magma "evaporates", i open the bridge .. there's never anything left behind.

Is this normal? I mean.. if they're bringing any magma-safe metals, shouldn't there be something left? ... Anything?

If not, that's OK too, I'm looking to start a few wars. :)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When flooding Depot with magma .. Nothing left behind
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »

Yes, but small items melt in magma despite being magma-safe. Instruments, and glass crafts for example.

I'd suggest flooding with water instead and then dumping the corpses in magma.

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:46 pm »

Yeah, after having this not leave me with any valuables behind I was thinking of a Drowning Depot instead ("Project Dē")

I was mainly under the impression that anything worth keeping should survive magma.. Guess I was wrong. :P Also, with Dē there will be a *lot* of worthless junk left after each use. :(

Oh well, thanks  :D

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:40:26 pm »

No problem. It's all a learning process, especially in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:31 pm »

Dwarf Fortress : Trading magma and wondering why everyone's melted.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 06:03:13 pm »

You dumped it on elves right? They usually don't bring anything magma resistant like iron or steel.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

Everything elves have will burn. Humans ought to leave behind armor and weapons and other steel stuff. Is your depot itself magma-safe?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »

in the future, select all stuff you want, seize it, drag it away and THEN use magma
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:05:53 am »

... or, drown them in water, pump it out, get what you want and then burn anything else.

Btw., is the usage of more than one trade depot fixed already?
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...