Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2627 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »

1) Are wild animals like Badger Man or Mosquito Woman able to be butchered without modding?  Or do they count as sentient?

2) Do trade caravans travel over paths with traps?  I thought I heard they didn't, but I want to be sure before I leave an approach to my Depot un-trapped.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:01 pm »

1. No

2.No
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »

3. Can traps be made out of animal men parts without modding?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »

For the 2nd part, depends what traps... They seem to navigate past my cage traps alright
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »

They can and will walk over traps safely. Only invaders and other hostile units will trigger them normally. However, any unit that is stunned or unconscious will trigger your traps, including your own dwarves.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »

They can and will walk over traps safely. Only invaders and other hostile units will trigger them normally. However, any unit that is stunned or unconscious will trigger your traps, including your own dwarves.
Which can sometimes save their life -- hit by a FB, knocked unconscious on the cage trap and *SNAP* he's safely behind bars as the FB goes after someone else.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:44:42 pm »

No. You cant do anything with a corpse of a animal man.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:06:13 pm »

No. You cant do anything with a corpse of a animal man.
Well if you dropped their corpses in front of a necromancer, raised them, and then ran them through the *giant steel disc* gauntlet then you should be able to get bones from the tiny pieces, which you could then carve into bolts and use in a weapon trap with crossbows in it... but other then that, yeah, animal men corpses and corpses of other sentients are useless.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »

I guess thats just another reason to stash a necromancer in a spot that allows you to drop in corpses that can be animated then chopped up and collected, all without the necro being able to escape. :D
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:22:51 am »

For the 2nd part, depends what traps... They seem to navigate past my cage traps alright

this, i have never had a problem with traps, always had one entrance with cage and weapon traps, never had trouble with caravans, its nice, cuz if you attack them, then they all get caught on the way out, if they get that far...

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:55 am »

Thanks for the help.  This gives me a good direction to go in my defensive planning.  I'll have a nice 3x3 corridor just packed with a mixture of traps.

And for the animal men, I'll still kill them for training, but I'll focus on things that yield food and materials first.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:55 am »

For the record, the normal traders that come via donkey and horse don't fuss about traps at all. Their wagons.... yeah, they despise traps like you can't even believe.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why my Trade depot can be dropped into the abyss, just in case gobbos follow the wagons.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 04:14:44 pm »

this, i have never had a problem with traps, always had one entrance with cage and weapon traps, never had trouble with caravans, its nice, cuz if you attack them, then they all get caught on the way out, if they get that far...

1: which version are you playing
2: and do they have wagons?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »

I had traders come and a TREE in the corridor stopped their wagons.  :'(  But they still can and traded.  Did I miss out on some of the goods they bought?  Or is the importance of having wagons come the added weight they can carry away?

Also, I've been having meat rot in my butchery and kitchen.  Is this just from having too much work so that it doesn't get stored in barrels quickly enough (I have a bunch of barrels)?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22:46 am »

Yes, you miss some of the goods. Specifically, the ones the wagons where carrying.  It is both how much they can carry away, and what they can bring to you.

For the meat, it rots the fastest in a refuse pile, the normal rate just about everywhere else, and the slowest when in a food stockpile.  I believe (but I'm not sure) that cooking the food into roasts and biscuits and such slows the rotting process further.
Pages: [1] 2