Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play Crusader Kings 2

(1/6) > >>

Goron:

(Vanilla + The Sword of Islam + v1.06b patch + Dynasty Coat of Arms Pack 1 + Mongol Face Pack + African Unit Pack + Music you won't hear)

Crusader Kings

For game details:
Bay12 Forum Game Thread

It has taken me a while but I am finally prepared to start a CK2 LP.
I had great fun with my Let's Play Crusader Kings Deus Vult and seeing that it only recently was surpassed in views on the Play With Your Buddies board by Solifuge's LIVESTREAM (Serious Frivolity), despite being over a year dead and only having 389 replies, I am hopeful that this LP is even a fraction as well received...

This is my first time playing Sword of Islam. I am starting 15 September, 1066.
Difficulty is Normal.

Who am I this time?

Someone in Iberia...
A Catholic...
In Galicia...

Duke Nuno II of Portucale!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am Nuno Mendes Vimaranes. Duke of Portucale, Marshal of Galacia, and heir to the Country of Braganca and barony of Viana do Castelo (Castle in Porto, the county where my own seat is located).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)I am a brilliant strategist; cruel but just, and proudly slothful.

I am married to Duchess Goncinha of Portucale. She is actually a lowborn Catholic of Iberian Portuguese culture (like me). She is one year my junior.
We share a child, Countess Loba of Coimbra. She is a 16 year old honest, just, trusting but greedy skilled tactician. She is also heir to my Duchy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)She is countess through marriage to my steward, Count Sisnando of Coimbra. He is a skilled fortune builder with all the right personality traits except he is a little too ambitious for my liking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)They have a daughter, Elvira Sisnandes Davides. She is 8 months old. Ultimately she is lined up to be a pretender to my titles, but I am sure this will change soon.
While I mentioned the seat of my duchy is located in Porto, I primarily reside in Corunna, Coruna where I serve as martial to my king, Garcia II of Galicia.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)My liege is one of three brothers, all of them kings in Iberia.

Just as I serve my liege in his court, several men serve me.
Vasco de Porto is my 49 year old chancellor. He is married to my paternal aunt, Gontroda Nunes. Vasco is excellent at his job but like my son-in-law he is entirely too ambitious.
Next we have Baron Lopo of Viana do Castelo, my marshal. He is a decent commander, known as a brilliant strategist and cavalry leader... but also known as a craven.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)His barony, Viana do Castelo, is located in Porto. As he is unmarried and without child I stand as heir to his holding. He is only 27 so I suspect he may find himself a blood heir soon enough.

My steward, Count Sisnando of Coimbra, I mentioned earlier. He is my son-in-law.

My spymaster is Count Egas of Castelo Branco. He is my 31 year old vassal and thankfully both skilled and not too ambitious. He comes from a very minor noble family. While without child yet he has plenty of years to produce one and has several eligible siblings to inherit his title.
Last but not least we have the Bishop Diogo of Braga, my court chaplain. The bishopric of Braga is located in Porto. Diogo is all that a bishop should be and more. He is rather paranoid and known to spend time in the dungeon inventing new ways to torture his enemies of God.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)We do not get along entirely well and he seems to pledge greater fealty to Pope Alexander II than to me.

In addition to the vassals already mentioned in my court two others swear fealty to me.
Count Fernao of Braganca rules the 4th county in my duchy. He is a decent man but known to be greedy.
And finally we have Mayor Soeiro of Guimaraes. A brat of 6 years old. His father died last year leaving him as mayor to the city.
Moving on...
The Duchy of Portucale follows Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. That is why my daughter is lined up to inherit should I depart for God’s playground too early.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)The Ducal laws for levies and taxes are all rather normal.
The Royal laws of Galicia differ in that the king’s titles are divided amongst his children, should he die, under Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind. At the moment my liege’s brother, King Sancho II of Castille is heir to the Kingdom of Galicia and his other brother King Alfonso VI of Leon is pretender. Their mother is next in line.
The kingdom has autonomous vassals and Papal Investiture.

My military is sufficient, but far from powerful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)I can raise several hundred men from my own demesne and a couple hundred more from my vassals. My king can raise nearly as many men as I can in totality in his county seat alone.
My worry is that the Muslims to the south may test our military strength before too long.
A bit of perspective:
September 15, 1066
My duchy sees a monthly profit of about 1.01 gold generated from my castle Porto and a city tax from Guimaraes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)The thing is, Guimaraes generates significantly more money than the meager 3.02 I see from it for that whelp Soeiro Mendes da Maia.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)I believe that should change. Not only does that boy not deserve such a fine station, but his youth presents a danger to the stability of my duchy. Since I cannot revoke his title under the current crown laws I must take other steps to get my fair share of his incomes.
I will propose to raise the city taxation from 25% to 35%.

September 18, 1066
And it seems not many of my vassals think that is a great idea... support for the change is low. Well, let me rephrase that: I am the only one supporting the change.
I will let the proposed tax change remain on the table for some time. Maybe I can convince some vassals to change their opinions in due time.
But for now I have been ordered by the king to help train troops in Coruna.

October 9, 1066
Ahah! A change in crown authority...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)While this does negatively affect me as subject to the king, it also helps me... Now I can take even greater steps towards getting my fair share of Guimaraes’s taxes and secure the city from the unstable rule of a 6 year old child. I can revoke the boy mayor’s title.

First I send notive that I am canceling my request to change city taxation laws.
Next I demand what is rightfully mine...
October 16, 1066
Excellent, the boy was no idiot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)My monthly income has jumped to a cool 2.4 gold.

November 28, 1066
To follow through with my concerns of security of the city Guimaraes I am ordering a town palisade to be built. That whelp probably would have left the people unprotected.

December 8, 1066
It seems my liege’s familial relations have brought us into a war.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)So far there has been one battle fought in Zaragoza; a victory for Catholicism.

December 15, 1066
My liege has raised my troops in Porto. No lords of significance are leading the men (I remain training troops in Coruna) but Count Fernao and Mayor Egas are leading troops out of Braganca and mayors out of Coimbra and Castelo Branco are marching off to war. May God protect them all and bring them home safely.
January 17, 1067
My son-in-law has done his job well!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)A 14.72 gold influx is nothing to downplay. Hopefully I’ll see more loyal displays out of him...

February 23, 1067
Fate smiles upon me, my wife is pregnant! May God bless me with a son. The way things are going I will be glad to have a strong martial son to help protect my duchy. Like I predicted the Muslims to the south are causing trouble. The Aftasid dynasty directly south of my duchy are involved in the Holy war for Aragon. While I am not personally at war I may see some of this conflict first hand if things get out of control.

May 15, 1067
The war is going well, it seems. King Antso IV of Navarra has occupied the entirety of Zaragoza. A couple of minor battle victories and single significant victory at the Battle of Caspe have brought this war firmly into our favor. Praise be to our God.
On a side note, I have made my son-in-law, Count Sisnando of Coimbra my master of the horse.

September 13, 1067
Well, the war has taken a turn against us God fearing Christians.
King Sancho II of Castille was killed in battle against Emir Ali I of Amirid Emirate. He was 31.
King Garcia II of Galicia inherited the county Soria some distance to the east. King Alfonso VI of Leon inherited most of the remaining titles, taking King Alfonso VI of Castille as his primary title.
The political dynamic has changed significantly witht he merging of the kingdoms Leon and Castille.
September 22, 1067
King Alfonso VI is quick to adjust Castille to his rule. He has instituted high crown authority. I hope his brother, my king, doesn’t get too many ideas from him.

September 25, 1067
God has provided me with a daughter. She will be named Paula.
October 24, 1067
Just a few days following after a massive loss at the Battle of Alagon the Muslims have given up. The Navarrese Holy War for Aragon has ended with King Antso IV of Aragon as victor!

December 2, 1067
Peace is short lived. My liege has declared the Galician Holy War for Aragon on Sheikh Muhammad Calatayud.
With the hopes that the other infedels stay out of this, the war may be short. King Garcia II has the Sheikhdom of Calatayud outnumbered significantly...
December 24, 1067
Yesterday my King raised troops out of my duchy and today, on Christmas Eve nonetheless, the Emir Ali I of Amirid Emirate has joined the war for the enemy. Vasco, my chancellor, reports the Emir may be capable of bringing an additional fifteen hundred troops to the battlefield.

December 26, 1067
Horrible news has reached my ears.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Count Egas has informed me that my son-in-law Sisnando, my vassal count, steward, and master of the horse has been plotting against me. He wants my duchy.
After all I have done for him; letting him marry my daughter and heir, making him my steward, and granting him the honor of being my master of the horse!
How dare he disrespect me like that... Now I must imprison him.
With him locked safely away in my dungeon I have need for a new steward...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)My uncle will do. He is nearly as talented and the best part is that he is not only not ambitious, but he is content! Unfortunately he is a little older at 47 years of age. Several months ago it came to my attention that he desired a wife but I put off the thought quickly. Now that he is serving in my court I may need to find him a suitable bride... Then again maybe not. My paternal uncle has a strong claim on my ducal title. Should he spawn an heir that claim will pass on. I think I’ll leave Muno Nunes Vimaranes single for the time being.

(Please call out any mis-linked images. Unlike my last game, I will probably be playing this a little more 'live'; meaning I'll update as I play as opposed to having years played out ahead of each update... as such I'll be more able to respond to feedback or advice.)

NRDL:
Nice to see you back.  I could have sworn I've played this dynasty before...

Anyway, this looks awesome, the writing is good, I've watched "El Cid" so I'm looking forward to a Spanish LP. 

EuchreJack:
Execute your son-in-law, and make your daughter marry someone matrinellally.  Your ruler is an old fart, so his chance of having more children is less and chance of dying is more.  Oh, and kill your granddaughter.

Sometimes, this game is quite brutal.  Killing a little girl just because she has her daddy's name and not her mommy's name.  But that is how the game works.

Goron:

--- Quote from: EuchreJack on July 06, 2012, 01:20:22 am ---
Execute your son-in-law,

--- End quote ---

Considering it. But I don't think I can do it without emotional issue rising from my other peeps though... and that may cause problems. His ambition made him pretty hard to tame in the first place, but when I revoked that kid mayor's title it pushed him (and most of my vassals) over the edge. I actually had a something like 3% revolt risk from my son-in-law for a hot minute until I gave him the Master of Horse title.

Problem is he is my daughter's husband... and I do hold some level of sanctity of familial relation, irrational or not. But at the same time he is dangerous. Ambition is a dangerous trait in a vassal. He is also pretty skillful. While my uncle suits well for now, he is likely to kick it sooner than later and I don't think I have another skill in court above 9:-/ But I am not sure why I even fret over that, my son-in-law will never serve in my council again. I’m not that stupid (I like to tell myself).

But to execute him… is that really really necessary? I don’t mind having people sitting in jail…

and make your daughter marry someone matrinellally.

--- End quote ---

That would be a benefit of killing him… I can remarry my daughter off. I could marry her to the count of Braganca, Count Fernao. That would bring the county into the fold in a generation if my daughter remains my primary heir.

All this sounds nice except…. I don’t think I can marry my daughter off again. She lives in Coimbra with Count Stupid Sisnando and I am pretty sure she would stay there with their daughter should he die.

Your ruler is an old fart, so his chance of having more children is less and chance of dying is more. 

--- End quote ---

Old fart? I’m 34! (or 35?).  My wife is still in her fertile years, too. I have faith I’ll see a nice son soon enough… … …

Oh, and kill your granddaughter.

Sometimes, this game is quite brutal.  Killing a little girl just because she has her daddy's name and not her mommy's name.  But that is how the game works.

--- End quote ---

That seems a bit dangerous to me right now. While I have two daughters that can inherit, one is not like to produce more children anytime soon because her husband is locked away in my dungeon, and the other is 3 months old. I think I’ll keep the granddaughter around to act as a safety net. She also likes me right now (something like +20 relation) making her pretty much the only person in Portucale that does… I’d like to ride that high as long as possible before she gets old enough to hate me like the rest of them.

I am also cautious of putting myself in any vulnerable positions for a bit yet; Spain is a dangerous place right now. I fear this little war my king initiated may escalate. With the Amirid Emirate throwing in with the Calatayud’s the troop counts are much closer to even. My king still has the edge but lady luck can be a real bitch.

And should even just one more small Sheikh join in it could push the favor to the enemy. I am afraid that one of the more powerful Emir’s will join, though… that could bring doom to us… unless Castille jumps in… which still doesn’t assure anything other than prolonged war.

Depending on the next couple of days or weeks I may raise my own levies to go and help stomp the enemy now before things have a chance to escalate… Since I am safely occupied training troops for my King I am not afraid of getting injured, killed, or captured. But then again raising my levies will cut my income which I’d like to keep high in order to get a 75 gold emergency mercenary fund going…

Of course I can just hope for the best: my wife gets knocked up again, with a son; my king wins a medium sized war and grants lands to me; and my son-in-law dies a painful, but natural death… at the hands of my impaler bishop. (It is still natural if no artificial colors are used in the poisons, right?)

EuchreJack:

--- Quote from: Goron on July 06, 2012, 09:04:58 am ---
Oh, and kill your granddaughter.

--- End quote ---

That seems a bit dangerous to me right now. While I have two daughters that can inherit, one is not like to produce more children anytime soon because her husband is locked away in my dungeon, and the other is 3 months old. I think I’ll keep the granddaughter around to act as a safety net. She also likes me right now (something like +20 relation) making her pretty much the only person in Portucale that does… I’d like to ride that high as long as possible before she gets old enough to hate me like the rest of them.

--- End quote ---

NO.  Your granddaughter DOESN'T have your last name, therefore your dynasty will DIE if she inherits.  Same with any other children from your daughter currently.

But yeah, your guy looked old, so I jumped to the conclusion that you were old.  At 34 years old, best not to kill your son-in-law, as that is a decision you'll likely have to live with for 20-30 years, and your chances of producing a son are good.  How old is your wife?  Now, she MUST die if you don't get a son by the time she reaches 45.  Henry VIII, eat your heart out.

Hey, if your lucky, your son-in-law will die on his own in jail.  I'm pretty sure characters in jail don't live as long as characters not in jail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version