Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)  (Read 64863 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Maia game (Startopia + Dungeon Keeper)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:46 am »

Damn son. So preordering this!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 10:19:18 am »

also OP forgot to put the features they look very interesting:

Features:
features

Up to 2km x 2km x 2km of procedural world

Complex colonist AI

Dark humour

AAA Quality graphics

Water and Lava simulation

Cellular Atmosphere

A simple minimalist UI

Inspired by 1970s sci-fi

Intricate defense systems

Bi-polar androids

A first person mode

Open data for modders
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:48 am »

You know those "games you wish existed"-type threads? This is my idea of the perfect game. I'm so excited that my brain has done a buffer overflow and now I feel awful.

Please don't mess this up, please don't mess this up, please don't mess this up...
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »

watching this like mad

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

So here I thought this was gonna be another of those promising indie games that end up not delivering...

Count me officially super-duper-interested now. Dangit.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 04:36:13 am »

So...
Add equal parts DF, dungeon keeper, and startopia.
Mix in several cups marvin from HGTTG.
Give it graphics and whatnot.
I'm in, even if it ends up summoning Cthulhu and dooming us all. I can't miss this.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 09:02:26 am »

This looks AWESOME. I liked Dungeon Keeper a lot, and I love Startopia and Dwarf Fortress..(two of my favourite games).

Hope it turns out well!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 09:09:28 am »

someone should try email the devs and get him to join the website i know quite a lot others do as well would be nice to know where he plans on taking this.

I'd be happy to join in the chat.  ;) (Actually used to have a user account on this forum somewhere, but can't remember what it was)

I'm so excited that my brain has done a buffer overflow and now I feel awful.

I lol'ed!

This whole thread has me beaming. I'm so glad that DF fans are interested. I know you will be the hardest to please, but I'll really do my best.  :D

I have a confession though. I've never played Startopia. I had to google it when everyone started talking about it. I vaguely remember seeing screenshots of it a few years back but its not much of an influence.

If you guys have questions I'll be happy to answer them.

-Simo

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:11:05 am by simoroth »
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:19:33 am »

One of the things that drives me crazy with some games these days is the much lessened ability to influence graphics.

That is, say my graphics card has trouble handling the shaders, will such things be togglable (toggle-able?) or even with the (sometimes) standard low, medium, high settings?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:50 am »

someone should try email the devs and get him to join the website i know quite a lot others do as well would be nice to know where he plans on taking this.

I'd be happy to join in the chat.  ;) (Actually used to have a user account on this forum somewhere, but can't remember what it was)

I'm so excited that my brain has done a buffer overflow and now I feel awful.

I lol'ed!

This whole thread has me beaming. I'm so glad that DF fans are interested. I know you will be the hardest to please, but I'll really do my best.  :D

I have a confession though. I've never played Startopia. I had to google it when everyone started talking about it. I vaguely remember seeing screenshots of it a few years back but its not much of an influence.

If you guys have questions I'll be happy to answer them.

-Simo

Yay my dreams have come true welcome to the forums simoroth !! :D ( for people reading this simoroth is one of the devs. ) i must say i have never been this excited for a game since i found out about Dwarf fortress please i want to throw all my moneys at you !!.

and my first question is how soon till the kickstarter goes up ? and by alpha does this mean as soon as the kickstarter is finished can we start playing ?

AND please please do a HP system like DF where its not just HP and your guys can lose limbs and other stuff and maybe throw in some diseases in the mix as well, i would love to replace one of my guys arms with a chain saw or some sort of auto pickaxe!

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:44 am »

I think in Maybe a month or two. I cant say yet, lots of things going on at the moment and this is still technically a "side project"

Its not going to be a proper kickstarter, since you have to be in the US for that. Although It will function in the same way, just from my own site, which means I get a higher %, letting me spend more on development.

Not sure on when I'll release a playable build. It took me a month to release screenshots as I'm terrified of disappointing people with unfinished work.  :-[ Probably a few weeks after the funding begins.

While I'm not planning on removing limbs from the characters (I struggled enough with writing an animation system), the characters will certainly suffer from plenty of afflictions, ranging from fatigue from low light levels to alien diseases, to hygiene and environment related conditions. Even the robots will have their own issues to deal with. :)
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 11:01:47 am »

I think in Maybe a month or two. I cant say yet, lots of things going on at the moment and this is still technically a "side project"

Its not going to be a proper kickstarter, since you have to be in the US for that. Although It will function in the same way, just from my own site, which means I get a higher %, letting me spend more on development.

Not sure on when I'll release a playable build. It took me a month to release screenshots as I'm terrified of disappointing people with unfinished work.  :-[ Probably a few weeks after the funding begins.

While I'm not planning on removing limbs from the characters (I struggled enough with writing an animation system), the characters will certainly suffer from plenty of afflictions, ranging from fatigue from low light levels to alien diseases, to hygiene and environment related conditions. Even the robots will have their own issues to deal with. :)

this sounds great !, also will we be able to really customise the robots we build ? and i dont think anyone of this forums really cares how unfinished it is haha, i really cant wait to get my hands on a alpha build, anddd will we be able to pay through paypal ?

also listen to the community you build up and take advice but with a pinch of salt ( unless its really good or a huge requested feature ) but also you should give the community the chance to vote on features as well.

i look forward to the kick start :D and i hope this stops being a side project and goes into full time :D you can be as unlucky as the project zomboid team :P

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:07 am »

Cosmic coincidence, then, as the feature list so far has a lot in common with it. :)

You're probably not looking for any further influence or ideas at this stage, but it might interest you to check out some Startopia gameplay, if only for curiosity's sake. I'd be interested to hear how close it is to your vision of Maia, how similar or different the style and gameplay might be, etc.

Edit: Some non-trailer gameplay here.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 11:42:14 am »

Colour me interested, definitely gonna be keeping an eager eye on this one.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:32 am »

This does look interesting, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

For questions;
Just how open is the modability going to be?
Is the game going to be purely sandbox, or will there be objectives, missions, an 'end game'?
Are resources going to be limited purely to what can be found in the explorable area, or will there be ways of aquiring resources from elsewhere?
Is there going to be a limit on how many inhabitants/bots/creatures are running around?
Is the game going to be single player only?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21