Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Faithful vampire  (Read 11028 times)

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faithful vampire
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »

I just started playing a couple days ago, and I am ADDICTED.
I finally had a vampire attack. No witnesses, it took about 5 days to report the finding. The only candidate from what I can tell gives every indication that she is a vampire...except she is a 'faithful worshipper' of her deity which is supposed to be impossible for vampires. She has an assumed name, nine children, no one in her family (including husband) is in the fortress, and she has endless associations. But she is 'faithful'... Her deity doesn't even have vampire curses. And profession nicknames stick. We'll see how this plays out...
Maybe a blood-sucking beast that no one saw? Wouldn't it be recorded by the dead dwarf himself? (if even possible)
I tried looking through my most recently deceased dwarves as well (I'm in the later stages of a tantrum spiral) and found nothing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:22:47 pm by nickpeq »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faithful vampire
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

A vampire can still be faithful to the god that cursed them. Renaming them is not suppose to work, professions stick I think.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »

Thanks for that info. The wiki is slightly misleading about deities and vampires then.
But is it possible for a deity's history to not mention curses? He only has two curses (i think in other civilizations) for were-creatures in the last few decades.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

They dont necsasarrily need to worship the god that cursed them. Who told you such a thing is impossible?  I've had atheist vampires, though how to not believe in god if he has personally cursed you is beyond me. No blood-suckers gve the same message as a vamp, it'll be listed in combat logs if it was.
Also, *grabs party hat, member sock of identification* Congrats, Welcome to DF, and the forums! Here's your sock. Don't lose it, and if you do, get it back by any means nescasary.

EDIT: Damn ninjas, editing for accuracy.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:29:47 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:28:29 pm »

While it is a remote possibility, she might not be your vamp.  See if she claims a bedroom, or includes thoughts about eating, drinking or sleeping.  Walking casually through the midst of a zombie attack is the most precise method of identifying them, but they can be difficult to set up (depending on location) and a false positive on your part gets messy with that method. ;)

Also, in one of my worlds, the vamp did not start worshipping the god that cursed her until about 40 years after being cursed to roam the night in search of blood for desecrating that gods temple.  She was a faithful worshipper after that point, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

While it is a remote possibility, she might not be your vamp.  See if she claims a bedroom, or includes thoughts about eating, drinking or sleeping.  Walking casually through the midst of a zombie attack is the most precise method of identifying them, but they can be difficult to set up (depending on location) and a false positive on your part gets messy with that method. ;)

Also, in one of my worlds, the vamp did not start worshipping the god that cursed her until about 40 years after being cursed to roam the night in search of blood for desecrating that gods temple.  She was a faithful worshipper after that point, however.
Forgot about that, yes, My method is enable alchemy on anyone who has ever had a thought about eating or drinking.

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »

When I referred to the wiki I meant it says vampires are always dubious of their deity. But maybe that refers only to migrating vampires, not cursed ones.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:56 pm »

Also, *grabs party hat, member sock of identification* Congrats, Welcome to DF, and the forums! Here's your sock. Don't lose it, and if you do, get it back by any means nescasary.

He's serious about that sock. If you lose it, there will be a steady parade of dorfs to it, each dying of whatever caused you to lose the sock initially.

And vampires can ONLY be migrants. And I've had vampires being faithful to their deities as well, IIRC, even after being cursed. The deity page isn't the way to do it. Just lock the suspect into a room until they get hungry. If they get hungry, they're dwarf, if they don't and you forget them for a month or two, BY ALL THE SOCKS OF ARMOK, DO NOT LET THEM OUT, they will eat all your legendaries. Weaponsmith, then armorsmith, then the bookkeeper/manager, then the most popular dwarf in your fortress.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:25 pm »

Even more fun for my tantrum spiral, she's a speardwarf and a large number of my dwarves are military members in one barracks. (there's not a lot of sane adults left and I NEED a military)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »

Lol, you may be in a spot of difficulty.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:08:55 pm »

Even more fun for my tantrum spiral, she's a speardwarf and a large number of my dwarves are military members in one barracks. (there's not a lot of sane adults left and I NEED a military)
Easy enough, as long as there is a justice screen, send her to be hammered, or at least convicted. A single dwarf wont be the difference between failure and temporary victory

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 11:14:45 pm »

Easy enough, as long as there is a justice screen, send her to be hammered, or at least convicted. A single dwarf wont be the difference between failure and temporary victory
I agree with you there.
You would not imagine the anger that arose when I convicted a donkey of murder in the middle of the spiral. After there were 17 witnesses who saw my dwarf in his 'fell' mood.

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:18:03 pm »

It seems however there's no reason not to convict your least useful dwarf when someone murders out of a tantrum. I haven't seen any consequence to convicting the wrong dwarf.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

It seems however there's no reason not to convict your least useful dwarf when someone murders out of a tantrum. I haven't seen any consequence to convicting the wrong dwarf.

The convicted gets a hugeass bad thought.

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

nickpeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »

Nickname is sticking as well.
I don't understand why a dwarf would have an assumed name without being a vampire though ?
Pages: [1] 2 3