Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Portalstockades, a Post-Apocalypse community surface fort (6 spots open!)  (Read 2252 times)

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile

So I've seen a few community/succession games (such as Dead-Iron and Rock-Touched way back in 31.25) and I've decided to try and start one of my own in a while, using a mod I've downloaded; specifically, this one here. I'd think it'd be OK for a community game, so here we go! The world gen parameters used was the REAL WORLD set, by the way.

The war is long over... The nukes are long gone, but the effects remained. Several areas still drop radioactive rain and blow radioactive dust across the land, and regular dust storms blow all over the world, sometimes stretching and going on for many miles. However, the human race has not given up. Hundreds of millions of people settled out in the wastes, adopting the name "wastelanders". Some people have experienced severe droughts, and thus started killing and eating their fellow humans. "Cannibals" they were called. And one man, simply know as the "Master", sought to control the world. He has conscripted an army and has raged more wars beyond the Nuclear War. This "Master's Army" controls many places around the world, and they seek more, threatening those who surround their towns...

There are some people, however, who lived in vaults before, through, and after the nuke strikes. They were known as "Vault Citizens" and never really took sides, although it will take all of their strength and will to survive in this harsh, post-apocalyptic world...

Out of the vaults for the first time in a few decades, 7 men and women have braved the outside world for all the glory of the Central Vault, and have brought on a significant challenge; to construct, maintain, and defend a city entirely on the outside world, with minimal underground operations. A challenge for a fitting name, for the town will be called "Portal-Stockades". They have found a good plot of land, and are ready to set out into the World Beyond...

Here is the list of citizens; if they are normal text, they're open for humanizing. If they're teal-colored, they are taken and the forum user's name will be put after the person's name and profession. If they are under 18 years of age, they will be referred to as "boys" or "girls"; of 18 or over, "males" or "females".
Spoiler: Citizens (click to show/hide)

This is the list of people waiting to be humanized.
Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

This is the list of casualties, whether killed in an accident or dying a glorious death in battle.
Spoiler: Casualties (click to show/hide)

Here's the signup sheet, for those who wish to be humanized.
Spoiler: Signup (click to show/hide)

And the supply list will be at the end of every update, listing exact numbers of food and drinks, and potentially even counts of stones (all types, not individual stone names) and other resources.
Spoiler: Supplies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:40:51 pm by UristMcWanderer »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Hmm. Looks interesting. Just drop me in as whoever happens to be the first male soldier you get. Splint like killing things.

Name: Splint
Profession:Militiaman (Full-time.)
Bio: None yet. I'll have to think of something later.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool. I'll get you humanized ASAP.

And I did say that the Bio was completely optional

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah but it's one of those things that can help make things more interesting for me. I am a bit of a storywhore you see. I'll even go so far as to give redshirts at leasta little background.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, cool

EDIT: Sorry for not posting any updates, I've been working on a couple mods recently, and summer school's been getting in the way a bit. I'll see if I can get one to two updates a day or so, however.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:08:23 pm by UristMcWanderer »

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, the updates'll come in about 5-10 minutes, I want to reset the nickname to completely replace the whole name.

Sorry for the double-posting, btw

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't seem like it'll be an issue here at the mo....

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't seem like it'll be an issue here at the mo....
???

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Name: Paige
Profession: Scavenger/Riflewoman
Bio: An excellent sniper, however very Reclusive. Has sort of a Protective attitude.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Paige
Profession: Scavenger/Riflewoman
Bio: An excellent sniper, however very Reclusive. Has sort of a Protective attitude.
OK, cool. I'll humanize you as one of the Scavengers for now, and see if I'll be able to conscript her as a part-time rifle soldier.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ugh. I am so sorry for not posting anything, I was super busy. I'll post an update right away.

Journal of Urist McHuman, 1st of Granite, year 43 of the Collapse
We have arrived at the site. Our land surveyors have given me a map of the plot of land that will soon become our town. It looked reasonable enough, with some hills where bunkers and shelters can be dug, but when we got here, the land appears to be in rough shape. Piles of scrap everywhere, covered in snow, and almost every damned thing being either frozen or close to it, including us. Checking a thermometer attached to our wagon, it appears to show a temperature of about 9 degrees below 0oF, although it feels a bit colder. Apparently it's too cold even for the thermometer, which was specially designed to withstand temperatures of and give accurate readings down to 60o below. Of course, the device has been in anti-radiation storage for god-knows-how-long...

Journal Of Urist McHuman, 3rd of Granite
Looking through our wagon, it too is also quickly deteriorating, but mostly under the weight of the supplies. As such, I've ordered our digger, Vulcanus, to shovel out an area in our hill to act as a storage pit for our food supplies. I've also had our scavengers tear down some scrap piles and chop down a few trees, the scrap to scavenge for useful materials and the trees for some beds for us to sleep comfortably.

The temperature feels as though it's getting colder, but since spring promises warm weather soon, we can be expecting some better results with our surroundings. Maybe the thermometer will even work properly again once exposed to warm air.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is this mod fallout? if so then awesome

name: wolf
profession: rilfeman/ scavenger
bio: quiet but friendly, and really laid back
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:54:19 am by wolfwood296 »
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Name: Lightningfalcon
Profession: Preferably militia. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

Could I get a dorf as well?

Name: Megaman3321
job: whatever is open
bio: Was "reconditioned" (read: mind raped) from being a wastelander, but is still very primitive and is slightly brain damaged.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile

Could we get a look at their profiles? See who has what for mental traits?

Name: Phey (Replace Metallum)
Duties: Salvage, Woodcut, Furnace Operate, Woodburning, Alchemy, Mechanics
Bio: Some children learned how to fix things. Some learned how to shoot things. Phey learned how to rip things apart and figure out how they work. Her GOAT set her on the fast track for Research Director of the Vault, but when the chance to leave the Vault was offered to any brave soul willing to go, she jumped on the chance. Everything inside the Vault was the same cookiecutter device. She couldn't learn any more than she already had from them. The chance to find old world tech was too golden for her to pass up. Yes, horrible death was possible, but if she could just find a set of blueprints for some power armor, some advanced weapons, she'd be safe behind a militia of the finest armed and armored soldiers this side of the Prime Vault. She took a very hands on approach, and has basic metallurgy skills, a little engineering, and a knack for finding the choicest bits out of a scrape pile.

Once we get more useless drones vital human resources, remove the Furnace and Woodburning. Others can handle that once it come time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:28:03 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf