Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-siege questions regarding a stuck arrow  (Read 1116 times)

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post-siege questions regarding a stuck arrow
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

First, the obligatory background:  I finally experienced my first siege on 33g - (the prior sieges were in 33c and 33e didn't compare).  Cuborrakust the legendary Carpenter and Elite Wrestler was the hero of the siege.  Ignoring orders to stay close to station he charged the first pack of a dozen goblins waving Tashemroder (a birchen cage) wildly about.  At first the goblins were taken aback - why would an unarmed dwarf, even one clad in exceptional Steel plate, charge them alone?  They were awed by the birchen decrations.  They were menaced by the spikes of cave spider silk.  Then they recovered and let fly with their bows.  All arrows were deflected by his armor.  He reached the pack and flung a goblin maceman aside, parrying strokes from the two goblin axemen while the other goblins surged forward and my marksdwarves hurried into range.  Then tragedy struck.  As Utes Spespourar the goblin Swordmaster stepped up Cuborrakust was taken ill - the sun dazzled and nauseated him, leaving him stunned and vomiting in front of his foe.  Utes took advantage of the dwarf's illness and struck off his right upper arm.  Cuborrakust struck back, spraining the goblin's shield arm.  But the goblin axemen landed a lucky shot, severing Cuborrakust's right lower leg.  Still he held, attempting to strangle the goblin with the cage.  But the goblin swordmaster's throat was merely bruised - and with a quick swing of the sword Cuborrakust's left upper arm went spinning away, with the cage.  Stunned by the loss of his artifact, he could only stand and stare while the goblins removed Cuborrakust's head from his body.  But his sacrifice had not been in vain - Marksdwarves and Hammer lords from the "Rosy Crazed Tombs" avenged him minutes later, obliterating that goblin squad, the troll brigade, and most of the reserve goblin squad - only one was left to run home cradling a shattered wrist to tell the goblin king of what happened.  

Cuborrakust will be buried with honor along with the war dogs who gave their lives defending their home fortress in the fight.  Luckily I had no other dwarves die however I did have several wounded.  Notably one of my civilians got a bit too close to the fighting and took an iron arrow to the leg.  It is still stuck there but we think his chances of recovery are good (one red wound, right lower leg and he is being fed/watered in the barracks).  My question is - do I leave it there forbidden?  Do I try to dump it or melt it to get rid of it?  Will Lokumusan have to retire from his job as item Hauler and join the royal guard?

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!